The evil within us

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: The evil within us

Post by Storyteller »

True enough.

I am proud that there are people that will fight for their beliefs and that so many have died so we can have our tomorrows. I just don`t think I could be one of them. Does that make me a coward? Serious question.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:True enough.

I am proud that there are people that will fight for their beliefs and that so many have died so we can have our tomorrows. I just don`t think I could be one of them. Does that make me a coward? Serious question.
Technically, I suppose.

But I'd rather be a coward regarding something, if the other choice leads me to do something against my conscience.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Me too.

It`s a really tough topic though, isn`t it? I think almost everybody agrees killing is wrong yet there is still a need for it.

I cry for humanity sometimes.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:Me too.

It`s a really tough topic though, isn`t it? I think almost everybody agrees killing is wrong yet there is still a need for it.

I cry for humanity sometimes.
I personally don't think killing is necessarily wrong. Murder is wrong. But not killing.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

How do you define the difference though?

I eat meat but if I had to personally kill the animal I don`t think I could. I know that`s just me passing the buck and you could argue that if I`m not prepared to kill an animal I shouldn`t eat meat but I don`t need to kill the animal myself to eat it.

Killing a fellow human though, is for me, a whole step further. I appreciate that it is necessary sometimes but it`s not something that sits easy with me. How do you know when killing is justified? What if you get it wrong?

I know there are no easy answers.
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

What if you kill another human for food?
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

I don`t think I could.

I can`t bring myself to actually kill an animal for food so I don`t think I could kill a human for food either.

I think if I was in a situation where the only food source was fellow humans and it was a matter of life and death, I would be the one volunteering to be killed and eaten.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

How do you define the difference though?
If it's justified, then it's not murder. Self defense, defending the life of someone else. Those are examples of justifiable killings.
I eat meat but if I had to personally kill the animal I don`t think I could. I know that`s just me passing the buck and you could argue that if I`m not prepared to kill an animal I shouldn`t eat meat but I don`t need to kill the animal myself to eat it.
Personally, I've never had to kill something to eat it. Except fish. But, if I had to I could.
Killing a fellow human though, is for me, a whole step further. I appreciate that it is necessary sometimes but it`s not something that sits easy with me. How do you know when killing is justified? What if you get it wrong?
It's not any easy decision. Hopefully, killing another human is never an easy decision.

-Edward R Murrow

EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

This is s hard topic and one I see predicated on more than a few extenuating circumstances ... such as...

I have no qualms in putting a 9mm 147 gr right smack dab in the chest of someone who enters my home unannounced and expecting to do harm ... on the spot !

On the other hand, I have a hard time with capital punishment. Not because the person condemned should forfeit their life for the crime that put them in that position in the first place, but because the life may be taken before it's time... the time it may have taken to find God. I know the possibility of that person going in that direction is slim, but still, do you throw out all the babies with the bath water ? Doesn't the Good Shepherd leave all the flock to find the one astray ?

Not easy stuff ... y:-/
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Rob wrote:What if you kill another human for food?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_And ... t_disaster

-Edward R Murrow

EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Yeah Rick, I was going to go with "Donner party of 28, you're table is ready" but I'm pretty sure they ate, as did I think the guys in your plane, people who had already died. I don't think killed by another person. Not apples to apples but still a frick-n-frackn sick decision to have to make.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Agreed.

Who knows what they would do in a situation like that? I hope and pray I never have to find out.

As for capital punishment, I`m against it, pretty much for the reasons you`ve stated ES and I think execution is a matter for God. There is always the risk of killing an innocent person. I appreciate the risk is small but it is still there.
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

My post was mostly a joke response. Cannibalism is very dark and just one of those things that's always really disturbed me.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

I get it Rob :)

Interesting though isn`t it, that we will happily eat the flesh of an animal yet baulk at the idea of eating human flesh. We are all meat. (I know we are more than just meat, but you see what I`m saying)
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

When I was emailing with my old wise friend, we spoke something like this:

Me: if i end up in hell i would ask satan why he is doing what he is doing.
Him: he would only laugh to your face.

... and my naivety ended.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart