Christianity decreasing

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Christianity decreasing

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Audie:

your last sentence is kinda nonsensical, not the least because of your request for proof.

Not at all Audie, if you can postulate the mind is evolved by saying you cannot think of anything about the mind evolving that is not sensical ... then you should have no problem proofing that comment. If my last line is nonsensical, then your turning of the phrase begat it with innocuous content that... to this moment, is still not answered.

How do you know the mind has evolved ? y:-?
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:RD, you simply assert that the mind is non physical, then walk away when challenged. Id say that may be the best move.
Audie, I realize my mistake now. I assume dualism to be true. And it seems you disagree.

That's why this is going nowhere. If you don't believe in God(a non-physical existence), then I can't expect you to agree that the human mind is in at least some respect, non-physical.

So, you can't recognize my question for what I'm asking, because to you, the mind has to be physical. Anyone that holds to the ToE as the be all, end all, would have trouble with anything spiritual. Hence, your reluctance to discuss philosophy.

So, like I said, it's a pointless discussion. Nevermind.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:RD, you simply assert that the mind is non physical, then walk away when challenged. Id say that may be the best move.
Audie, I realize my mistake now. I assume dualism to be true. And it seems you disagree.

That's why this is going nowhere. If you don't believe in God(a non-physical existence), then I can't expect you to agree that the human mind is in at least some respect, non-physical.

So, you can't recognize my question for what I'm asking, because to you, the mind has to be physical. Anyone that holds to the ToE as the be all, end all, would have trouble with anything spiritual. Hence, your reluctance to discuss philosophy.

It sure is a nevermind if you are going to make up things about me.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:

It sure is a nevermind if you are going to make up things about me.
I thought it was accurate. What did I say that isn't true?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

One can't argue the possibility of the immaterial with anyone that believes that the material is all the exists.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:One can't argue the possibility of the immaterial with anyone that believes that the material is all the exists.
Paul, that's where my error was. I wrongly assumed Audie believed in the immaterial.

Paul,

Since you believe in evolution, where does the human mind fit into the ToE?

-Edward R Murrow

1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Guys, this is not about Christianty decreasing.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:One can't argue the possibility of the immaterial with anyone that believes that the material is all the exists.
Paul, that's where my error was. I wrongly assumed Audie believed in the immaterial.

Paul,

Since you believe in evolution, where does the human mind fit into the ToE?
Evolution doesn't address anything other than the changing of certain traits in living organisms.
Those traits must be quantified and observable in some way and the MIND ( not the brain) doesn't fall into that category.
As a person that believes that God instilled in all life the ability to adapt and evolve ( and this ability is currently called by some "evolution by natural selection"), I believe that the mind evolved as humans evolved.

What is the mind?

Mind:

the element of a person that enables them to be aware of the world and their experiences, to think, and to feel; the faculty of consciousness and thought.

or:

the element or complex of elements in an individual that feels, perceives, thinks, wills, and especially reasons. 2 : the conscious mental events and capabilities in an organism.

or:

(in a human or other conscious being) the element, part, substance, or process that reasons, thinks, feels, wills, perceives, judges, etc.:
the processes of the human mind.
Psychology. the totality of conscious and unconscious mental processes and activities.
intellect or understanding, as distinguished from the faculties of feeling and willing; intelligence.
a particular instance of the intellect or intelligence, as in a person.
a person considered with reference to intellectual power:
the greatest minds of the twentieth century.
intellectual power or ability.

As you can see from above, even animals can, to a certain degree ( far lesser than humans) have a mind as well.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

1over137 wrote:Guys, this is not about Christianty decreasing.

:pillows:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Thank you Hana. If it goes anywhere, I'll split it.

-Edward R Murrow

1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

RickD wrote:
Now, you are forgiven ;)
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:
Please do Rick..... I am following this with great interest.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Evolution might be good at describing physical traits, but sadly fails to explain those immaterial parts of life like consciousness.

What would be great is if it could explain why it was likely that organisms of the kind that have consciousness would arise?
A theory that governs the emergence of consciousness as being inseparable from physical evolutionary processes via natural selection.

That is, not just saying it happens because we're obviously conscious beings, but really knowing why this or that particular arrangement of physical parts lead to a level of consciousness and intelligence.
To provide a complete picture of life that we see, evolution needs to explain these things in a manner consistent with itself, and not just account for physical changes over time.

In layman terms, we ought to be able to create Astro Boy.
A physical robot, biological or otherwise, that comes to life with its own real consciousness.
Not AI (artificial intelligence), but a true thinking intelligence.
The Omega Factor if you will and ever watched Astro Boy.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

How do you know we outta?
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:Audie:

your last sentence is kinda nonsensical, not the least because of your request for proof.

Not at all Audie, if you can postulate the mind is evolved by saying you cannot think of anything about the mind evolving that is not sensical ... then you should have no problem proofing that comment. If my last line is nonsensical, then your turning of the phrase begat it with innocuous content that... to this moment, is still not answered.

How do you know the mind has evolved ? y:-?
First, you do recognize the call for proof is unreasonable, regardless of what aspect of science?

I dont "know" the mind evolved. Evidence indicates that all life forms do evolve; assuming supernatural intervention
didnt go out with the discovery that lightning isnt thrown by Zeus, but perhaps it should have.

Lesser minds among other creatures exist, is it so hard to think they lamprey's mind evolved to what little it is?

I dont believe a lamprey is self aware, probably doesnt know its alive.
Chimps do show that they are self-aware. Baboons, probably not...?

Self awareness is an interesting mystery. I dont choose to assume its beyond investigation or understanding.

I also dont think the transition from non self aware to self aware is the vast leap that
necessitates or implies the supernatural.

I wonder what it was like, for each of us, when we did it as babies?