Christianity decreasing

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Christianity decreasing

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Audie wrote:Well, let us know if the need for a supernatural entity to poof a mind into place is anything but an argument from ignorance.
That is the very definition of an argument from ignorance (literally). :shakehead:
I was thinking the same thing Byblos. y#-o
Hey, it worked for lightning for the longest time.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Proinsias wrote:
Not made a great deal of progress on the mind/body problem, but the bacon was excellent. I don't see the implication of purpose evident in the human mind, it's seems more of chocolate or vanilla type problem than an obvious implication.
I can kinda understand why someone who doesn't believe in God would say that. Simply because if there is no God, there really is no purpose to anything.

Frankly, it just seems silly to me, that the human mind can be anything except a product of an intelligent creator.

1 Corinthians 2:14
But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.
Ecactly! People are so wonderful, that only a mighty God could be behind such splendor.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Proinsias wrote:
Not made a great deal of progress on the mind/body problem, but the bacon was excellent. I don't see the implication of purpose evident in the human mind, it's seems more of chocolate or vanilla type problem than an obvious implication.
I can kinda understand why someone who doesn't believe in God would say that. Simply because if there is no God, there really is no purpose to anything.

Frankly, it just seems silly to me, that the human mind can be anything except a product of an intelligent creator.

But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.
Ecactly! People are so wonderful, that only a mighty God could be behind such splendor.
:scratch:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

is anything but an argument from ignorance

Your own words convict you Audie, and that's not good news, for as Christians, believe me, we have heard this before, from the very mouth of Christ.

When the best that can be said of another's response is held in contempt and mockery, it is time to shake the dust from your sandals, remove yourself from their presence and allow them to wallow in their ignorance. Very mean spirited, self indulgent and meaningless post... your humility is underwhelming. :shakehead:
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Proinsias wrote:

People are wonderful.

Why are you so against God being the Creator?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Audie wrote:Well, let us know if the need for a supernatural entity to poof a mind into place is anything but an argument from ignorance.
That is the very definition of an argument from ignorance (literally). :shakehead:
I was thinking the same thing Byblos. y#-o
Hey, it worked for lightning for the longest time.
2 for 2. y=D>

And that's only today.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Proinsias »

Robert Quillen: "An argument is an exchange of ignorance"

:mrgreen:
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Proinsias »

RickD wrote:
Proinsias wrote:

To each their own, I don't find either option silly or particularly convincing.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Robert Quillen: "An argument is an exchange of ignorance"

I like this... guilty as charged :oops: sorry Audie, lost my temper and am sorry ...not wrong ... but even the y:(|) knows when to admit guilt. y#-o
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

EssentialSacrifice wrote: is anything but an argument from ignorance

Your own words convict you Audie, and that's not good news, for as Christians, believe me, we have heard this before, from the very mouth of Christ.

When the best that can be said of another's response is held in contempt and mockery, it is time to shake the dust from your sandals, remove yourself from their presence and allow them to wallow in their ignorance. Very mean spirited, self indulgent and meaningless post... your humility is underwhelming. :shakehead:

Considering the improbability of a civil conversation from you, please refrain from addressing me again.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Storyteller wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Proinsias wrote:

People are wonderful.

Why are you so against God being the Creator?
Im not "so against it". I just think its a weird sort of arrogant humility to think that only something so great as the designer of the universe could have accounted for the wonder of people's minds.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:

Considering the improbability of a civil conversation from you, please refrain from addressing me again.
Audie,
This is becoming a pattern from you. You say what you want. But when someone says something you don't like, you throw a hissy fit, and tell them not to speak to you anymore.

You need to understand that it's not a personal insult whenever anyone disagrees with you, or criticizes what you say.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

When the best that can be said of another's response is held in contempt and mockery, it is time to shake the dust from your sandals, remove yourself from their presence and allow them to wallow in their ignorance. :shakehead:

Audie,
This is becoming a pattern from you. You say what you want. But when someone says something you don't like, you throw a hissy fit, and tell them not to speak to you anymore.

You need to understand that it's not a personal insult whenever anyone disagrees with you, or criticizes what you say.

I disagreed with the notion that a supernatural entity is needed to make the human mind, with the summary and completely non personal statement that it is an argument from ignorance.

What comes back is in bold, above. "contempt, mockery, wallow in ignorance, Very mean spirited, self indulgent and meaningless post... your humility is underwhelming."

Not a word on topic, pure personal attack. Followed by one from you,.. speaking of people who need to know what is a disagreement, and what is a personal attack.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Audie wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Why are you so against God being the Creator?
Im not "so against it". I just think its a weird sort of arrogant humility to think that only something so great as the designer of the universe could have accounted for the wonder of people's minds.
As opposed to ...
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

When the best that can be said of another's response is held in contempt and mockery, it is time to shake the dust from your sandals, remove yourself from their presence and allow them to wallow in their ignorance. :shakehead:

Audie,

I disagreed with the notion that a supernatural entity is needed to make the human mind, with the summary and completely non personal statement that it is an argument from ignorance.

What comes back is in bold, above. "contempt, mockery, wallow in ignorance, Very mean spirited, self indulgent and meaningless post... your humility is underwhelming."

Not a word on topic, pure personal attack. Followed by one from you,.. speaking of people who need to know what is a disagreement, and what is a personal attack.
The insinuation, though, was that to believe in a supernatural entity is borne of ignorance.
I know you don't think we are all ignorant but if I didn't? Sorry Audie, that's how it read.

We cannot convince you of God any more that you can convince us not.

All any of us can do is follow our hearts and I pray you will, one day, let God into yours.

(One brick at a time x)
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran