Catholicism

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Catholicism

Post by Kurieuo »

Storyteller wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:It seems to me that Orthodox Christianity always gets the raw end of the stick.
They're meant to be the second largest, and I've never seen anyone promoting them.

So perhaps you should consider them too.
With apostolic succession, beautiful religious practices if you're into that.
And in my opinion, while Mary is very much esteemed, their beliefs re: her seem much more acceptable.

Decisions, decisions... who is the One True Church? y:-?
Lol, anything but Catholicism. :pound:
I Protest!
Does that make you a Protestant?
I Protest even more!
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Me thinks you doth protest too much ;)
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Storyteller wrote:Me thinks you doth protest too much ;)
Well, you know how to identify a Protestant right?
Merely mention the word "Catholic" and wait for the protesting. ;)
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

y:O2
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I protest doctrines of men,not church,church is good and doctrines of men are bad.Example would you pray to Mary if the bible does not tell you to?Why do it? There is absolutely no reason to do it and every Christian knows she was the virgin mother of Jesus Christ.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:I protest doctrines of men,not church,church is good and doctrines of men are bad.Example would you pray to Mary if the bible does not tell you to?Why do it? There is absolutely no reason to do it and every Christian knows she was the virgin mother of Jesus Christ.
Actually, praying to mary is not a catholic doctrine.

The doctrine is called Intercession of the Saints. If people pray to mary, it's not because the Catholic Church teaches that.

Just wanted to clear that up, and get brownie points with Byblos.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bippy123 »

abelcainsbrother wrote:I protest doctrines of men,not church,church is good and doctrines of men are bad.Example would you pray to Mary if the bible does not tell you to?Why do it? There is absolutely no reason to do it and every Christian knows she was the virgin mother of Jesus Christ.
I totally agree abel , since the Virgin Mary is dead and her prayers for us are also dead , and it never says in the bible that the prayers of the righteous carry great weight with a God , no where in scripture does it say that , and since it never says that the prayers of those in heaven who have been made more righteous then we on earth could ever be don't count anyways . Never ask Mary or the saints to pray or anyone else to pray for you.

Glad we could clear the air on that , whew
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

bippy123 wrote:
I totally agree abel , since the Virgin Mary is dead and her prayers for us are also dead , and it never says in the bible that the prayers of the righteous carry great weight with a God , no where in scripture does it say that , and since it never says that the prayers of those in heaven who have been made more righteous then we on earth could ever be don't count anyways . Never ask Mary or the saints to pray or anyone else to pray for you.

Bippy,

I think you're missing ACB's mistake. I made the same mistake that he did, so I picked up on it. The doctrine of The Intercession of the saints, is where those on earth, ask saints who have passed away(notice I didn't say dead saints ;) ) to pray for them. It's not praying to saints.

While some catholics, or others, may pray to saints, that's not a doctrine of the Catholic Church.

Capiche?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bippy123 »

RickD wrote:
bippy123 wrote:

Bippy,

I think you're missing ACB's mistake. I made the same mistake that he did, so I picked up on it. The doctrine of The Intercession of the saints, is where those on earth, ask saints who have passed away(notice I didn't say dead saints ;) ) to pray for them. It's not praying to saints.

While some catholics, or others, may pray to saints, that's not a doctrine of the Catholic Church.

Capiche?
I understand and good point Rick , but isn't the meaning of payer basically a request? And different then worship ?
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

How does one become Catholic if their parents weren't?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

bippy123 wrote:
RickD wrote:
bippy123 wrote:

Bippy,

Capiche?
I understand and good point Rick , but isn't the meaning of payer basically a request? And different then worship ?
Bippy,
I think this is a good definition of prayer:
a devout petition to God or an object of worship.
Prayer itself may be different than worship. But prayer is a request/petition to an object of worship.
So, I think both catholics and protestants should agree that we should pray to God only. And that's what I think catholicism teaches. That saints pray to God on the petitioner's behalf.

While I don't necessarily agree that the catholic doctrine of Intercession of the Saints is biblically correct, I'm just trying to portray the doctrine correctly.
And my point was that ACB was incorrect in what the doctrine actually is.

Comprende?

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

What is the Hail Mary prayer for then? Hail Mary full of grace......... I can't remember the rest.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Kurieuo wrote:How does one become Catholic if their parents weren't?
There must first be a willingness to become Catholic. The prospective Catholic must follow a course on Catechism given at the local parish, and then be baptized according to the rites of the Roman Catholic Church. The baptismal certificate confirms the person's adherance to the rites of the RCC. The Catechism is adapted to the person's age.

FL :incense:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:What is the Hail Mary prayer for then? Hail Mary full of grace......... I can't remember the rest.
Hail Mary, full of grace.
Our Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.
It is a prayer to God.

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:What is the Hail Mary prayer for then? Hail Mary full of grace......... I can't remember the rest.
Hail Mary, full of grace.
Our Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.
It is a prayer to God.

How is it a prayer to God? It is specifically being said to Mary and not God.Hail Marry. Hail means to call out to someone to get their attention -Mary.