The Genesis Theory

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
SoCalExile
Valued Member
Christian: Yes

The Genesis Theory

Post by SoCalExile »

Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/LMA41EVDhqw

(I seem to be having issues embedding)
God's grace is not cheap; it's free.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: The Genesis Theory

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

That Youtube video is 3 hours long! Forget it!

FL :dig:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

The video you posted, recommends Kent Hovind videos. :fruitcake:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

SoCalExile wrote:Thoughts?

Not good! If you would study the bible and get all of it, the bible reveals to us the earth is old and not young.Young earth creationism has lost against evolution and it is because of a lazy way of reading the bible that there is a young earth interpretation and it is the young earth interpretation that is wrong,not the word of God.The only thing I can agree about is evolution is a lie.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

If you want to embed, use only the string from the address

Code: Select all

[youtube]LMA41EVDhqw[/youtube]
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

SoCalExile wrote:Thoughts?

I think drive-by.
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

Audie wrote:
I think drive-by.
?
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

God's Word is truth -- the Genesis account of creation Is God's Word telling mankind how this world / earth / people got here. The old-earth position gives room for evolutionary development needing millions of years. Young earth is God using 6 days to do it. Since God IS all powerful -- why not Give Him the credit where it IS due.
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

crochet1949 wrote:God's Word is truth -- the Genesis account of creation Is God's Word telling mankind how this world / earth / people got here. The old-earth position gives room for evolutionary development needing millions of years. Young earth is God using 6 days to do it. Since God IS all powerful -- why not Give Him the credit where it IS due.
No one questions whether God could create it in 6 24 hour days, but why would He?

Seems to me for the same reason He didn't place us in a fishbowl of a universe....to declare His glory to sinful, separated, humans. It's a much deeper, impressive understanding of who God when you consider that God started creation billions of years ago, all the while knowing the Fall, and the redemption of Christ, was part of the plan from the beginning.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

If we read the Genesis account ( chapter 1 since chapter 2 is a different account) in a literal and concrete way with no preconceive notions ( very hard to do of course), what do we get?

We get the creation of the world (not the universe since there is no mention of the universe) from God.
We are told the earth was formless and void dark.
Light came to be by God saying let there be light and God separated the light and dark into DAY and NIGHT and all this happened in 1 day.
God then separated the waters from the heavens and from the land and the expanse above the land He called heaven and He did this in 1 day.
Note that there is NO mention as to WHEN the second creation day happened, only that there was a second day of creation.
No time frame between these days is mentioned at all.
The we have:
Then God said, “Let the waters below the heavens be gathered into one place, and let the dry land appear”; and it was so. 10 God called the dry land earth, and the gathering of the waters He called seas; and God saw that it was good. 11 Then God said, “Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees on the earth bearing fruit after their kind with seed in them”; and it was so. 12 The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed after their kind, and trees bearing fruit with seed in them, after their kind; and God saw that it was good. 13 There was evening and there was morning
This was the 3rd day of creation and, again, we don't know when it happened after the 2nd only that it did happen.
Now comes an interesting part because it seems to be out of sequence with nature:
Then God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years; 15 and let them be for lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth”; and it was so. 16 God made the two great lights, the greater light to govern the day, and the lesser light to govern the night; He made the stars also. 17 God placed them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, 18 and to govern the day and the night, and to separate the light from the darkness; and God saw that it was good. 19 There was evening and there was morning, a fourth day.
It seems that God created life on earth BEFORE there was a sun to sustain it.
This may be a clue that tells us that the sequences of Genesis is not really a SEQUENTIAL sequences at all.
Then we have:
Then God said, “Let the waters teem with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth in the open expanse of the heavens.” 21 God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarmed after their kind, and every winged bird after its kind; and God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them, saying, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.” 23 There was evening and there was morning, a fifth day.
So, we have another day, no mention of how much time has passed at all between days but simply that there was a fifth day of creation and in that day (which had, like all other creation days, an evening and a morning), God created animal life.
Now, the sixth day of creation is very important because in on that day, God commands the earth to bring forth:
“Let the earth bring forth living creatures after their kind: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth after their kind”; and it was so. 25 God made the beasts of the earth after their kind, and the cattle after their kind, and everything that creeps on the ground after its kind; and God saw that it was good.
And who were part of those living creatures?
Man:
Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” 29 Then God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; 30 and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food”; and it was so. 31 God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.
On, the sixth day of creation, Man was created and in such a way that He was made in the Image of God, in "OUR IMAGE" God is written to have said, in "OUR LIKENESS".
God speaks in the PLURAL during the creation of Man ( nothing new for those that believe in the Trinity by the way), stating that in THEIR image THEY will make Man.

SO, what we have is 6 creation events, each being a day, literally "an evening and a morning".
We do NOT have any mention of how long it was BETWEEN each creation event and, it can be argued, we do not have a real time frame of how long each day is because the unit used ot measure time was not created (according to Genesis) till day 4.

That said I believe that early readers/listeners to this story would have understood (probably) each day as being a full 24 hour day.

So, reading the Genesis account with no view other than by the literal AND concrete reading we have:

The world being created and life of all types coming to be in 6 different creation events which had a concrete beginning and end.

We do not have a time frame between events.
We do not have a time frame in total.
We do not have a time frame of how long each event lasted, only that each event had a definite beginning and end.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulS wrote:
We get the creation of the world (not the universe since there is no mention of the universe) from God.
Genesis 1:1
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

The word for "heavens" is shamayim. Which means:

heaven, heavens, sky

visible heavens, sky

as abode of the stars

as the visible universe, the sky, atmosphere, etc

Heaven (as the abode of God)
http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lex ... 064&t=NASB

Not sure how you missed that one Paul. It is the very first verse in the bible. :lol:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:

heaven, heavens, sky

visible heavens, sky

as abode of the stars

Not sure how you missed that one Paul. It is the very first verse in the bible. :lol:

Nah, you are reading into it.
Genesis is not about the creation of the universe per say.
Look at the passage in the first day:
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters. 3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.
It could have been written this way even:

The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters. 3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light day, and the darkness He called night...

A statement about God creating the heavens and Earth and then the account of how He did it.

I mean, look how it states that there was water and yet the Earth was formless and void.
Which implies a lack of stability, of "solidness" a lack of established "form".
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
<a class="rtBibleRef" href="http://biblia.com/bible/nasb95/Genesis%201.1" data-reference="Genesis 1.1" data-version="nasb95" data-purpose="bible-reference" target="_blank">Genesis 1:1</a>

heaven, heavens, sky

visible heavens, sky

as abode of the stars

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters. 3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.

The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters. 3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light day, and the darkness He called night...

A statement about God creating the heavens and Earth and then the account of how He did it.

I mean, look how it states that there was water and yet the Earth was formless and void.
Paul,
Does the word "heavens" in Genesis 1:1 come from the word "shamayim", which means visible universe, or not?
It was a statement that in the beginning(of creation) God created all that exists(the universe). Then the focus switches to the earth. I'm only reading the actual meaning of the word "heavens" into it. It's not rocket surgery. It's a pretty basic, commonly accepted interpretation of Genesis 1:1.

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:

heaven, heavens, sky

visible heavens, sky

as abode of the stars

What is the frame of reference in verse 2?
What's the "face of the deep"... what's the Spirit of God moving over?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

crochet1949 wrote:God's Word is truth -- the Genesis account of creation Is God's Word telling mankind how this world / earth / people got here. The old-earth position gives room for evolutionary development needing millions of years. Young earth is God using 6 days to do it. Since God IS all powerful -- why not Give Him the credit where it IS due.
Why is the young earth interpretation totally wrong according to modern science? Shouldn't you be questioning that interpretation? It takes knowing all of the bible to understand the gap theory,you cannot just read Genesis 1 and get it and this is why so many can't see and understand the gap theory.

Science has always made discoveries that confirmed things the bible said was true and you young earthers are missing out on it because of a traditional young earth interpretation and a hard headed attitude to ignore science and rely on Christian "biased" science,when it is not necessary, if you get all of the bible and yet you still cannot defeat evolution that we know is a lie,but young earth creationism is useless against it.

You should be angry because Charles Darwin hijacked the evidence in science started by Christians that told us the earth is very old and not 6000 years old and the fossils,Charles Darwin took the evidence that was proving the gap theory true and made evolution fit into it.Christians should be angry about it too.

But they don't understand the true history.
Young earth creationism did not become so popular until the early 1970's when Henry Morris wrote his book on the Genesis Flood.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.