100,000$ pursued for a prayer!!!

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Lufia
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

100,000$ pursued for a prayer!!!

Post by Lufia »

A mayor in a near city of mine is being pursued for having prayed ( 20seconds prayer) at the beginning of an assembly! A 100,000$ pursued! Yes it is true and i don't live in China, but in quebec's province, Canada. the pursuer is a non believer.

The mayor is praying for him he said. If the citizens wants him to stop he'll do. He said that his religion has always been first, before career. He goes to mass every day ( which is known by citizens) and does'nt want to betrade his belief, afraid of being ashame of himself before God.

Isn't it incredible?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: 100,000$ pursued for a prayer!!!

Post by B. W. »

Lufia wrote:A mayor in a near city of mine is being pursued for having prayed ( 20seconds prayer) at the beginning of an assembly! A 100,000$ pursued! Yes it is true and i don't live in China, but in quebec's province, Canada. the pursuer is a non believer.

The mayor is praying for him he said. If the citizens wants him to stop he'll do. He said that his religion has always been first, before career. He goes to mass every day ( which is known by citizens) and does'nt want to betrade his belief, afraid of being ashame of himself before God.

Isn't it incredible?
Yes - incredible! Sign of the times - 'me-thinks'
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Lufia
Recognized Member

Post by Lufia »

I think i'm wrong in my translation. I'll clarify. The mayor will be in court. If he is 'found guilty of praying' he may have to pay 100,000$ !!!

Guilty of praying!!! I just can't believe it but it is sadly true.

for those who don't believe this, it is in newspaper LeSoleil, mercredi 6 aout, page 23
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

This is the mayor of Ville-Saguenay, is that right Lufia? (a devout Catholic). Could you remind us of his name? (He needs our prayers.)

Atheists and God-haters have been giving him trouble for quite a while now.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Lufia
Recognized Member

Post by Lufia »

Wow even in amsterdam you know that story F. L. !! For me it was the first time knowing his 'persecutors'.

Jean Tremblay is his name. I'm praying for him too.
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

Lufia wrote:I think i'm wrong in my translation. I'll clarify. The mayor will be in court. If he is 'found guilty of praying' he may have to pay 100,000$ !!!

Guilty of praying!!! I just can't believe it but it is sadly true.

for those who don't believe this, it is in newspaper LeSoleil, mercredi 6 aout, page 23
Is this some kind of "separation of church and state" law?
I'll be praying for him.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
madscientist
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by madscientist »

Scary stuff really. But it also talks about his prayer being "different". Now only read the article quickly but still! it is crazy these things happening. Well let's just say the person who wanted to start his persecution for this is someone who doesnt love God, and so has to show his anger towards believers... maybe he just hates religion and so wants to get his anger off at someone that's how i perceive it but of course that's just my opinion. :| Or something else? Maybe he had something against him and used this as an excuse :P but again that could be anything. he could have disliked his "different" prayer and that's the reason for all the trouble.
"Love is only possible if a choice of either love or rejecting the love is given." One of the most true things id ever heard, not so long ago.

-MMS-
Leprechaun
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by Leprechaun »

This is ridicolous the person was in no way harmed even if they believe it didn't do them any good. It's the equivalent of someone suing someone for wishing them luck on the basis that they didn't believe in luck.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Lufia wrote:A mayor in a near city of mine is being pursued for having prayed ( 20seconds prayer) at the beginning of an assembly! A 100,000$ pursued! Yes it is true and i don't live in China, but in quebec's province, Canada. the pursuer is a non believer.

The mayor is praying for him he said. If the citizens wants him to stop he'll do. He said that his religion has always been first, before career. He goes to mass every day ( which is known by citizens) and does'nt want to betray his belief, afraid of being ashame of himself before God.

Isn't it incredible?
Lufia first posted this in 2008. Seven years later, the mayor's case went to Canada's Supreme Court and the court judged - just yesterday - that a public prayer before any citizen's assembly was unconstitutional. So, such assemblies where an opening prayer was said must now either avoid the prayer, or pray without using the word "God" or the name of any other deity.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

FL :evilnod:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Link with also a link to 100 page long PDF from Supreme Court
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.3035422
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

If the Mayor is to be neutral I wonder what would happen if he wore a necklace with big cross.
Having public position vs. personal freedom.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

1over137 wrote:If the Mayor is to be neutral I wonder what would happen if he wore a necklace with big cross.
Having public position vs. personal freedom.
Actually, this is presently being debated in the jurisdiction in which I live. A proposed law would not allow a public servant to wear an "ostensible" religious symbol. This is to ensure the "religious neutrality of the State" in its dealings with citizens.

Ah, yes...getting rid of one religion and replacing it with a far more destructive one: secularism.

FL y~o)

+ + +

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I guess I will buy a necklace with gold cross and wear it.

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

1over137 wrote:I guess I will buy a necklace with gold cross and wear it.
Yes! buy a very BIG one and wear it around your neck at the next family reunion! :D

Let us know what happens!

FL y:D

+ + +

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
1over137 wrote:I guess I will buy a necklace with gold cross and wear it.
Yes! buy a very BIG one and wear it around your neck at the next family reunion! :D

Let us know what happens!

FL y:D
y:-?

#foreverinmyheart