I have Social Anxiety, how can I cure it?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Wasthereonce
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

I have Social Anxiety, how can I cure it?

Post by Wasthereonce »

I've had social anxiety since I began homeschooling in 5th grade. I'm now a Senior in High School and it bugs me that I can't shake it. It's hard to talk to people, especially girls, but guys as well. I am very social around my group of friends when we hang out, just talking to random people gives me anxiety. I want a better quality of life and to pursue a future in entertainment. I feel like this trial is holding me back from thinking clearly, moving with my life, and making new friends. It just gives you a hopeless feeling. Even though I think about my dreams everyday, I produce these hopeless thoughts. It's getting hard to commit to anything. Thanks for reading and any advice is appreciated!
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: I have Social Anxiety, how can I cure it?

Post by 1over137 »

Hello,

First welcome to the forum.

May I ask, if you go to shop for example and have to buy something and talk to cashier, is that a problem for you too?
Just trying to understand you better.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Wasthereonce
Newbie Member

Post by Wasthereonce »

It can be. I just get the fight-or-flight response sometimes, which makes it really difficult to continue a conversation or talk to people. If I'm even slightly attracted to a girl, the response is triggered. It's so annoying.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Hey :)

Welcome to the forum from me too :)

You mentioned you were thinking of a career in entertainment, is there a theatre or drama club you could perhaps join? I appreciate it would probably be really, really scary for you but if it`s something you are interested in, that might give you the edge to just go for it.

You say you are social within your group of friends so you can overcome this.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Welcome and your can be socal here without fear...

Good place to learn...

:wave:

Blessings
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I liked Storyteller's answer. I know a TV and cinema actor who is a very shy man in person, a very, very shy man. He's so shy that he bought a huge tract of land and built his house right in the middle of it. You can't see the house from the road because of all the trees. The first time I went to his place, I drove right past the entrance because the entrance to his property isn't even visible! ...he likes it that way.

The point of all this is: as an actor, you adopt a persona to play a role. The character you give life to isn't you. The techniques you would learn in theatre class would help you with your social awkwardness. So, go for it!

FL :knight:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by HappyFlappyTheist »

Ahhhh, high school woes.

Joining clubs is perhaps, as some said above, the best way to meet people. Choose a club where people are instinctively nice, accepting, and try to get to know you as well as possible (like a christian club). I was completely petrified my first day of high school (as I was new), then I met people from this catholic outreach group and my whole experience changed -not to mention beautiful catholic lady friends-. When you have something in common with other people, it's a lot more easy to hold steady conversation. Talking to women is an art of rambling about things they care about, so again choose a club topic you can ramble about. Also, starting conversations is also a bit more easy when people are encouraged to get to know/love each other.

If all else fails, look forward to college! Even the most tightly closed oysters come out of their shells within a year at college. <----- fact

Drinking also tends to make me more social; maybe you should try taking a few shots of tequila before gym class. :lol:
Last edited by HappyFlappyTheist on Fri May 01, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
pulvis sum
swirusek
Newbie Member

Post by swirusek »

Drinking is not the answer. For me the best way to "cure" social anxiety was start doing some sport. It give a lot of selfconfidence :)
HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member

swirusek wrote:Drinking is not the answer. For me the best way to "cure" social anxiety was start doing some sport. It give a lot of selfconfidence :)
I added a smiley face. Now maybe everybody can see my awful humor.
pulvis sum
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

HappyFlappyDeist wrote:
swirusek wrote:Drinking is not the answer. For me the best way to "cure" social anxiety was start doing some sport. It give a lot of selfconfidence :)
I knew you were joking but I did find your humor unusually risqué for an American. You guys are so politically correct most of the time...

I was wondering... have you travelled overseas a lot, or have you just spent a lot of time in jail?

FL y:-?
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
HappyFlappyDeist wrote:
I knew you were joking but I did find your humor unusually risqué for an American. You guys are so politically correct most of the time...

I was wondering... have you travelled overseas a lot, or have you just spent a lot of time in jail?

FL,

Is this politically correct?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote: FL,

Is this politically correct?
Well...I'm not sure because I'm not American... I think an American would be in a better position to answer you... but I do know that the Confederate Flag is generally flown by KKK types and mud wrestlers and people who would rather spend their welfare money on beer and cigs rather than on badly needed dentures...

FL y**==

+ + +

+ + +
HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member

HappyFlappyDeist wrote:

Yes, I spent 4 years in a federal prison for aggravated assault before my acceptance into William and Mary with a middle school education.
You Canucks are so observant.
pulvis sum
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

HappyFlappyDeist wrote:
HappyFlappyDeist wrote:

Yes, I spent 4 years in a federal prison for aggravated assault before my acceptance into William and Mary with a middle school education.
You Canucks are so observant.
While Canuck is the politically correct term for a Canadian, especially a French Canadian, FL is not politically correct. He prefers to be called a frog. :fyi:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

HappyFlappyDeist wrote:Yes, I spent 4 years in a federal prison for aggravated assault before my acceptance into William and Mary with a middle school education.
Well, I'm glad to see that you've turned your life around! Bravo! Have you asked forgiveness from your victim?

FL :D

+ + +

+ + +