is the bible real at all???

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
thefeeblefive
Newbie Member

is the bible real at all???

Post by thefeeblefive »

i've been a christian for 5 years or so, but recently i've been over thrown by doubt that the Old Testament is real at all. A friend who recently denounced God told me that the biblical stories are all copies of other cultures myths... also i've noticed as i'm sure you all have, that the creation story is really similar to other creation stories... have we all been taken in by a convenient answer to life's question... i don't even know anymore. someone give me a slap in the face. please!!!
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

Hello thefeeblefive

Would a slap make all the difference? :wink:

This GodandScience website has some articles that you might find worth checking out. Click here to find them.
Have a poke around, and in the meantime others may pop in here to give you more information that may help.

You don't need to believe what your friend said, and it is good that you are following this up for yourself.
However, what would convince you that the Bible is authentic?
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Re: is the bible real at all???

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

thefeeblefive wrote:i've been a christian for 5 years or so, but recently i've been over thrown by doubt that the Old Testament is real at all. A friend who recently denounced God told me that the biblical stories are all copies of other cultures myths... also i've noticed as i'm sure you all have, that the creation story is really similar to other creation stories... have we all been taken in by a convenient answer to life's question... i don't even know anymore. someone give me a slap in the face. please!!!
Is the creation story the point of the old testament? The Old Testament or Torah is authentic, it has been passed down in jewish tradition for generations. Yes as a child they focused on the stories of Jonah and Genisis, but that is not what the Old Testament is about. There are poems in Psalms, and stories in Exodus which describe love and envy hate and suffering. The book is a lesson on life, how to live it and what to do when you struggle with inner demons.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Re: is the bible real at all???

Post by bizzt »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
thefeeblefive wrote:i've been a christian for 5 years or so, but recently i've been over thrown by doubt that the Old Testament is real at all. A friend who recently denounced God told me that the biblical stories are all copies of other cultures myths... also i've noticed as i'm sure you all have, that the creation story is really similar to other creation stories... have we all been taken in by a convenient answer to life's question... i don't even know anymore. someone give me a slap in the face. please!!!
Is the creation story the point of the old testament? The Old Testament or Torah is authentic, it has been passed down in jewish tradition for generations. Yes as a child they focused on the stories of Jonah and Genisis, but that is not what the Old Testament is about. There are poems in Psalms, and stories in Exodus which describe love and envy hate and suffering. The book is a lesson on life, how to live it and what to do when you struggle with inner demons.
On top of that there is Proof (Archealogy) of Sodom and Gommorah, David and Solomon's Reign. Nebuchanezeer (sp?), among many other Biblical Stories! Seek and you shall Find
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

And Hugh Ross says that when he was a teen, he read through a lot of creation stories from different religions-and found that the Genesis account in the OT is the only one that fits with what science has found.... just so you know. And, on the rest, archaeology has repeatedly discovered that people and places really existed where the OT said they were and when-even when everyone "knew" that the OT was wrong in a certain place.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

And, BGood, it's not just a teaching story-the events are believed to be real-and there is no reason to think otherwise.

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
PHIL121
Recognized Member

Post by PHIL121 »

The plenty of archeologcial evidence that the Old Testament is a history of the Jewish people.

I hope you didn't watch that PBS program that was on this week. It presented a lot of myths perpetuated by the secularists.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:And, BGood, it's not just a teaching story-the events are believed to be real-and there is no reason to think otherwise.
The city of Troy mentioned in the Illiad is real does that mean that Hera interfered with the affairs of men? Just a thought.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:And, BGood, it's not just a teaching story-the events are believed to be real-and there is no reason to think otherwise.
The city of Troy mentioned in the Illiad is real does that mean that Hera interfered with the affairs of men? Just a thought.
There is a difference between the Old Testament and the Illiad point dexter. False annoying analogy

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Sodom and Gommorah was real from the Bible does that mean Fire rained down on it? IN FACT yes it did there is solid evidence of this from Archealogical Studies. You made your point however as we discover more and more about Archealogy and the Bible they seem to coincide as more discoveries are found!
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

bizzt wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Sodom and Gommorah was real from the Bible does that mean Fire rained down on it? IN FACT yes it did there is solid evidence of this from Archealogical Studies. You made your point however as we discover more and more about Archealogy and the Bible they seem to coincide as more discoveries are found!
Agreed
thefeeblefive
Newbie Member

Post by thefeeblefive »

well i'm really glad to hear that archeology keeps proving the bible over and over, but i need to read the accounts myself. where are the sites?
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

thefeeblefive wrote:well i'm really glad to hear that archeology keeps proving the bible over and over, but i need to read the accounts myself. where are the sites?
Did you not follow the link in my earlier post?
Note that references and bibliographies are provided with each article as well.
Note this site (linked from my first link) in particular: BIBARCH™ Biblical Archaeology Website
thefeeblefive
Newbie Member

Post by thefeeblefive »

oops! i must have over looke it.
Ken
Newbie Member

THE CHICKEN OR THE EGG (bible stories copies?)

Post by Ken »

What came first? The Chicken ... or the Egg?

What came first? The Truth or Pagan Legends?

Isaiah 44:6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Marvel not if someone produces creation texts, savior stories, and tales of lore similar to, or contrasting, biblical truth.

The ancients who forsook the Truth, and thusly The one True God, did not forget entirely the stories and prophecies repeated by their believing parents or friends. Remnants of the truth were carried over into the development of pagan religions. Do not be so easily swayed by the arguments that falsely claim the Bible to be "just another copy" of the same "myths."

Romans 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

The bible is the word of God and it tells us that Satan is a liar - the father of lies. Satan has always used religion to attempt to deceive some of God's people (wolf in sheep's clothing). Be wary of any one seeking to "add to God's word" or to "take away" from it.

The other myths or distortions are NOT truth. They cannot be laid aside the Bible anymore than a carat of cubic zirconia can compare to a one carat Genuine Flawless Diamond or an ounce of raw iron pyrite (fool's gold) can compare to an ounce of pure 24K Gold.

Every passed prophecy of the Bible has been fulfilled and there is no reason to believe the rest will not follow in suit. John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Jesus Christ, the Son of God, testified that God's Word (as given to ancient Israel) was truth. He did not say other ways were equal or similar gospels were to be accepted.

2 Corinthians 11:2-4 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

Galatians 1:6-9 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another (GR heteros means different)gospel: Which is not another(GR allos means another similar or copy) ; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Isaiah 55:8-9 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Who are you going to believe? Men who weren't there or God who has always been there?

2 Timothy 3:13-17 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

The Chicken came before the Egg ... and Truth came before pagan counterfeits. Be still and KNOW that YHWH is GOD and the Christian Bible records His Word. Accept no substitutes.

Ken Hoeck - Truth On The Web Ministries http://www.truthontheweb.org