Progressive creation vs Theistic evolution

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Progressive creation vs Theistic evolution

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:Christianity home of the ignorant?
Wow...
Some of the greatest scientists ever were/are Christians.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ch ... in_science

A site dedicated to Christians and evolution:
http://www.biologos.org

Good one paulsac. You too deliberately left out the qualifier.

It works like this: "That house is brown but here where the paint chipped you can see a speck of yellow"

leave out the qualifier?

"that house is yellow"

Of course there are and have been any number of brilliant Christians. Thats not at issue.

Does it not bother you that people go forth and represent your faith with gibberish, the product of willful ignorance?
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Jac3510 wrote:
Philip wrote:
Audie: I shouldnt try to help you out, the more atheism in any sense of the word is the home of the ignorant, the better as far as Im concerned.
Christianity is the home of the ignorant???!!! Audie, if you are going to say stuff like the above, then don't you EVER whine anymore about being offended that somehow someone has somehow miscaterogorized some aspect of your unbelief. As that statement is as arrogant and hypocritical as it is wrong! You argue endlessly with your usual unsupported jargon supporting the mere impossibility of pop metaphysics, admit you have NO idea as to the cause of the universe, and yet you declare Christians to be mostly ignorant? :shakehead: Wow, what a joke! Don't expect to be respected if you yourself post such stuff.
Don't worry, philip. I fixed Audie's quote so that it's more accurate now. ;) 8-}2 :twisted:

Thats ok jac, No need for yet another demo. I already knew that the style here is to make up things I didnt say.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:Please keep this on topic. It was started by Storyteller so she could try to understand the differences between PC and TE.
If there's no more lies about me to be told, then yes, back to topic is more than fine.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:Please keep this on topic. It was started by Storyteller so she could try to understand the differences between PC and TE.
IN sort and in a nutshell:

PC states that God created the world in a progressive manner, directly and by divine creation BUT also, according to some, gave life the ability to adapt and evolves ALL UNDER His direct control.

TE states that God created all live and endowed life with the ability to evolve with no need of CONSTANT direct action on His part. Creation is sustained by God BUT God allows for random mutations to bring forth new species. God can and does directly intervene in the creative/evolutionary process when He so chooses to do so.

The real difference between PC and TE is the role of God and what evolution is and how it is used by God.
It is DIRECT and CONSTANT in PC but is INDIRECT and FLUID in TE ( I didn't want to say inconsistent because it isn't).
PC do NOT accept evolution by natural selection or that it is random.
TE accept that evolution TENDS to be random ( but can be directed by God) and is guided by natural selection, HOWEVER, some TE believe that the natural selection process is governed by God.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Audie wrote:
Does it not bother you that people go forth and represent your faith with gibberish, the product of willful ignorance?
Yes, yes it does, very, very much.
It also bothers me when those that share my faith make it look bad by appearing to be "anti-science".

Not every one understand evolution 100%, not every one that does agrees with it 100%, even some biologist disagree with evolution by natural selection ( though not evolution per say).
What I don't like is when those that do NOT understand it, SAY they do and then say there is no evidence of it.
You can disagree with the conclusion of the evidence, BUT you can't say there isn't any because if you do, it simply shows you have NOT understood it at all.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Audie wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:
Philip wrote:
Audie: I shouldnt try to help you out, the more atheism in any sense of the word is the home of the ignorant, the better as far as Im concerned.
Christianity is the home of the ignorant???!!! Audie, if you are going to say stuff like the above, then don't you EVER whine anymore about being offended that somehow someone has somehow miscaterogorized some aspect of your unbelief. As that statement is as arrogant and hypocritical as it is wrong! You argue endlessly with your usual unsupported jargon supporting the mere impossibility of pop metaphysics, admit you have NO idea as to the cause of the universe, and yet you declare Christians to be mostly ignorant? :shakehead: Wow, what a joke! Don't expect to be respected if you yourself post such stuff.
Don't worry, philip. I fixed Audie's quote so that it's more accurate now. ;) 8-}2 :twisted:

Thats ok jac, No need for yet another demo. I already knew that the style here is to make up things I didnt say.
:pound:
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Getting back to PC or TE.

I think it is important to pray first and ask God to reveal the truth to you and then to look for evidence to back up what people explain.Make evidence more important than what is explained and you should consider all view points and look at all sides and different view points and not be biased either way and let the chips fall where they may.I would say be skeptical until you see evidence behind whatever it is that you accept as truth.

I say this because we know we have an adversary that will lie and deceive us if we allow him to and in our world what we consider to be true will have evidence behind it automatically and lies or theories won't and you can distinguish who is telling the truth and who is following lies if you focus on evidence.

It makes no difference what subject you are interested in too whether it be history,news,science,etc it makes no difference as evidence will always be there if its the truth,when it comes to bible study? you look for scriptural evidence to back it up and you might have to dig a little and it can get tricky at certain times but the truth will always have evidence behind it and lies or misinformation won't. I hope this helps no matter which a person chooses whether it be PC or TE.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Audie wrote:
Storyteller wrote:I`m not sure.

I`ve accepted it for so long, as it is all I have been taught really but the more I look into all of the ideas the less convinced I am.
less convinced of what, SS?
That we all share a common ancestor.
That we evolved.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Audie wrote:Suit yourself ABC, keep on looking ridiculous. I shouldnt try to help you out, the more Christianity is the home of the ignorant, the better as far as Im concerned.
Why?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:
Audie wrote:Suit yourself ABC, keep on looking ridiculous. I shouldnt try to help you out, the more Christianity is the home of the ignorant, the better as far as Im concerned.
Why?
Be careful Annette. By asking "why", Audie may think you're making stuff up about her. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

:fryingpan:
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Storyteller wrote:
Why?
lets drop it
i think I got unpopular enough here for one day.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Storyteller wrote:
Audie wrote:

I`ve accepted it for so long, as it is all I have been taught really but the more I look into all of the ideas the less convinced I am.
That we evolved.

With all due respect that doesnt suggest you looked very much
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Audie wrote:
Storyteller wrote:
Why?
lets drop it
i think I got unpopular enough here for one day.
You are not unpopular here audie, quite the oppisite in fact y>:D<
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Audie wrote:
Storyteller wrote:
Audie wrote:

That we evolved.

With all due respect that doesnt suggest you looked very much
I haven't.
Just vague memories of what was taught in school and you gotta remember I'm old!
so show me?