Freewill

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Grrace
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Freewill

Post by Grrace »

Can someone point me to were in scripture is says that angels have freewill?
Thanks
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Freewill

Post by Storyteller »

Hi Grrace :) Welcome to the forum!

Try this link...

http://www.gotquestions.org/angels-free-will.html

Question: "Do angels have free will?"

Answer: Although the Bible mentions angels over 250 times, the references are usually incidental to some other topic. Learning what the Bible has to say about angels can certainly aid in an understanding of God and His ways, but what is learned about the angels themselves must be drawn from implicit, rather than explicit, descriptions.

Angels are spiritual beings who have personalities that include emotions (Luke 2:13), intelligence (2 Corinthians 11:3), and wills (2 Timothy 2:26). Satan was an angel who was cast out of heaven along with many other angels who decided to follow him and chose to sin (2 Peter 2:4). In terms of free will, the Bible reveals this was an exercise of their ability to choose (Jude 1:6).

Some scholars believe there was a sort of “probation period” for the angels, similar to the time when Adam and Eve were in the garden. Those angels who did not choose to sin and follow Satan have become the “elect” angels (1 Timothy 5:21), confirmed in holiness. These angels are also referred to as “holy angels” (Mark 8:38) and “holy ones” (Psalm 89:5).

Even if the elect angels are confirmed in their holiness, it doesn’t mean they have lost their free will. Certainly, every living creature has choices to make at any given moment. The holy angels might have the ability to sin, but that does not in any way mean that they will sin.

To help understand this issue, we can consider the life of Christ. Christ was “tempted in every way” (Hebrews 4:15), yet He did not sin. Jesus had the ability to choose whatever He pleased (John 10:17-18). However, Jesus’ first priority was always to please His Father, and that is always what He chose (John 4:34). If Christ, who was 100 percent human (as well as 100 percent divine), could live in a sinful environment and face daily temptation, surely holy angels who live in a purely holy environment can freely choose good over evil. The elect angels praise God because they choose to; they obey God because that is what they desire most to do (see Jonathan Edwards’s Freedom of the Will).

Humans have free will, but they struggle with sin because the human nature has been corrupted by sin. This is why all humans sin (Romans 5:12) and find it much more difficult to “be good” than to “be bad.” The holy angels are without a sinful nature. They are not inclined toward sin but rather toward righteousness, doing everything that pleases God.

In conclusion, it doesn’t actually matter whether or not holy angels have the freedom to sin. They have a free will, but the Bible makes it clear they will not sin. The apostle John, in describing heaven, wrote there will be no mourning, crying, or pain there (Revelation 21:4), and anyone who does evil will never be permitted to enter (Revelation 21:27). The angels who are part of heaven are sinless.

Recommended Resources: Angels: Elect & Evil by C. Fred Dickason and Logos Bible Software.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/angels-free ... z3aZwxAAo1
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes

Post by Mallz »

Just had to say ST, that is a great site! I've read countless articles there in my research (and still do) and don't ever remember coming across wrong information (not saying there isn't!). :ebiggrin:
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

I`ve only just come across the site. I think it was RickD that first pointed me in the direction of it so I can`t take the credit for it. It is a pretty good site though, isn`t it? :)
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Just had to say ST, that is a great site
thank you ST and RickD I've never seen this site and just spent 40 minutes on all the angel topics included with Free will... I will definitely be back with more questions later so thanks you guys for the tip to the site.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Grrace wrote:Can someone point me to were in scripture is says that angels have freewill?
Thanks
On the flips side, can you point out where it is stated that they don't ??
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:
thank you ST and RickD I've never seen this site and just spent 40 minutes on all the angel topics included with Free will... I will definitely be back with more questions later so thanks you guys for the tip to the site.
ES,

Have you happened across their views on Catholicism yet? :lol:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:
EssentialSacrifice wrote:
ES,

y:O2 :stirthepot: :fryingpan:
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

ES,

2 Timothy 3:16 :pound: It's of no consequence to me, is it to you ? ;) Proverbs 18:15
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:ES,

2 Timothy 3:16 :pound: It's of no consequence to me, is it to you ? ;) Proverbs 18:15
:scratch:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

You get your knowledge wherever you can find it... :tomato: pot shots or not in this instance.
Grrace
Newbie Member

Post by Grrace »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Grrace wrote:Can someone point me to were in scripture is says that angels have freewill?
Thanks
On the flips side, can you point out where it is stated that they don't ??
I cant point out where it states that they don't but i cant find where it says that they do. Hence my question.

I don't believe that God makes mistakes.

It does not fit that they do have freewill.

Firstly, If there is no time in the spiritual realm, in eternity, there is no ability to grow and to learn how to make a choice and no opportunity to exercise that choice.

Hence this realm was made so that God could place his son away from himself so the son was free to make a choice or not to be with the Father.

Angels are not given this choice.

The article mentioned and copied above draws conclusions that don't fit.

Angels are just messengers of God, the ones that got corrupted because of a wrong freewill choice of Adam were cast aside as wrong (the fleshy angels,demons, for want of a better description), but this still does not indicate they had freewill,Jude 1:6 does not show me they chose, had freewill, it just says they were cast down. Same with 2 Peter 2:4 Messengers that missed the mark were cast out is all. It does not show me they had a choice.. 2 Corinthians 11:3 claims intelligence for angels but the scripture scripture said it is the serpent that deceived Eve, it was not an angel.2 Timothy 2:26 talks of being held captive to do his devils will, the Greek word will G2307 being special purpose, so, held captive by him to do his special purpose??? Again Luke 2:13 says that the messengers appeared praising (affirming and speaking well of ) what God had done. It does not say they had a freewill choice.

I appreciate your help with this. It shows me just how good God is, what he created and gave us. He is awesome.

If you know of any other scripture that can point me to what God is trying to tell me, i would appreciate it.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.