Do you go to Church?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Do you go to Church?

Post by Nessa »

Who goes to Church and where?

Do you believe every Christian should go to church? And if so, what kind?
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Re: Do you go to Church?

Post by Storyteller »

Nope.

At least, not yet. I am looking into joining my local Catholic Church though. I`m just chatting to the priest at the moment and finding out more about Catholicism first but we`ll see.

I have been to a couple of churches, none of which felt right. I used to think why bother? about church but I am thinking more and more that it`s something that I want to do.

I`m not sure whether every Christian should go to church, I think, like praying, it`s a personal thing. I surprised myself by wanting to go but not everyone wants to, or feels comfortable in church and I don`t think it should be forced. It should be a celebration, a serious matter of communing with God amongst others who want to do the same.
I think, and can see, how church could be a great support to someones faith and could really help strengthen people.

It has to be the right church though. Well, for me anyway!

The idea of an all singing, all dancing, shouting Hallelujah isn`t my kind of place but somewhere where there is a system, a ritual, somewhere perhaps a little more spiritual suits me yet that could be someone elses idea of a nightmare.

I think anywhere where there are people sharing ideas about God, praising God and studying there is a church.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

yes...sometimes its easy to be too narrowed minded about church....we go to a very small house group/church once a week...well when i say we i mean my husband and kids and i sometimes make an appearance
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Many christians gain so much from attending church. I understand why and if that is their path and right for them more kudos to them.
That is not my experience.
I have attended many churches and denominations over many years and I can comfortably say it's not for me, but I really like the idea of a small house group. That is much more down my alley.
I have to admit I have issues with religion. I think it is founded in man-made ritualilsic idealism and often not sincere or a biblical exapmle of the early 'church'.
In saying that, what works for one person may not work for another. But I have issue with the notion that a christian MUST go to church. I believe we are the church, not a building, organisation or denomination but every sincere christian. A building, a pastor, pope or large congregation does not substitute the family of Christ which transcends our segregational tendencies.
Nicki

Post by Nicki »

The Bible does say not to give up meeting together, and church seems the simplest way to meet together. I generally really enjoy church (at contemporary ones, anyway) and would like to be able to go to a small group type thing as well, but I'm kind of busy at the moment. Also our current church is a bit of a drive away so the midweek groups are not very close either. It's kind of a discussion group on here though :esmile:
Last edited by Nicki on Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Male

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Yes, I go to church, a few times a week in fact. The reasons are many but the most important reason is to partake in the Eucharist offered there, and since it is offered nowhere else, I go. IMO the Eucharist is the embodiment of Christ in heaven and available on earth to strengthen my will and for me, Holy Eucharist is a coming together as disciples of Christ to receive bread and wine, just as Jesus and the apostles gathered at the Last Supper. It's a (real presence) symbolic reminder of God's love and the fact that God sent Jesus to show us how we should live on this earth. Eucharist also reminds us that Christ was persecuted and killed for living according to God's Will, and yet he survived death to be followed to this day.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

One day I hope to. Even if it is a small group in village.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
theophilus
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

If you read the book of Acts you will find that whenever Paul preached the gospel and people were saved he established a church. All but four of his letters were addressed to churches and three of the letters to individuals were to church leaders and contained instructions for how churches should operate. The other letter to an individual includes a reference to a church.
Paul, a prisoner for Christ Jesus, and Timothy our brother,
To Philemon our beloved fellow worker and Apphia our sister and Archippus our fellow soldier, and the church in your house:
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
(Philemon 1:1-3 ESV)
The book of Revelation begins with letters to seven churches.

All churches are imperfect but Jesus regularly attended synagogues on the Sabbath and I am sure many of them were imperfect as well.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.