Suicide

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by Mallz »

Yes, ES, that is their current doctrine. Didn't used to be and what was preached before our modern times was different than today. Unlike the Word, the catholic church changes. Honestly and bluntly (don't take offense), I don't care to take the time to show the proofs. Honestly (again :p), I didn't think that would be challenged. I take it as common knowledge as it's something I've known as a child.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Mallz wrote:Yes, ES, that is their current doctrine. Didn't used to be and what was preached before our modern times was different than today. Unlike the Word, the catholic church changes. Honestly and bluntly (don't take offense), I don't care to take the time to show the proofs. Honestly (again :p), I didn't think that would be challenged. I take it as common knowledge as it's something I've known as a child.
But Mallz,

It's not really fair for you to come in and make that assertion without proof. Maybe someone told you something in error, when you were a child. But, please, if we're going to criticize the Catholic Church, or anyone else, we can't just say that the Catholic Church teaches people who commit suicide go to hell, because some guy told me that when I was a child.

If you don't have proof that the Catholic Church actually teaches that, you need to retract that assertion.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

http://crouchfoundation.org/history-of-suicide.html

Mallz, your point is taken that suicide has been a problem child for Catholics. I have posted a brief history of suicide and the aftermath of religious piety on both sides of the court... Protestant and Catholic. It was never just a Catholic problem. John Wesley and John McManners also thought, as late as the 18th century it was the unforgiveable sin...

As you will see, the stigma of suicide has a very long and dramatic history, well documented and verifiably sad. Denominations/Faiths aside...

I whole heartedly endorse; divine decisions, in this (suicide's) regard, are filtered through divine mercy. Tragedy at the end of this life is no sure sign of an eternal tragedy in the next.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

Yes, but stemmed from the catholic church before the reformation.
You are both right. Give me time and I will back up this assertion that I made, properly.
I was told many things as a child, and many lies. Which is why I left the catholic church when I was 12. And it was because of that organization I was led towards darkness. The only thing that has kept me alive over and over again my entire life, is that the Holy Spirit Has suffered with me throughout it all. Because I loved Him as a child. I will tell you this, and back it up with scriptural. Truly, I have not seen a religion that our Father considers undefiled before Himself.
James 1:27 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

P.s.
EssentailSacrifice. I don't see you, personally, as a representative of the catholic church. I see you as a representative of Christ Himself.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

U2 Amazing Grace/Where the Streets Have no Name
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by UsagiTsukino »

But some who committed suicide have mental problems. I have suicide problems and low self esteem. The problem many who have this problem feel like it's going to awkward and people will judge them and they think it's better off not telling people.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by Storyteller »

UsagiTsukino wrote:But some who committed suicide have mental problems. I have suicide problems and low self esteem. The problem many who have this problem feel like it's going to awkward and people will judge them and they think it's better off not telling people.
There is a lot of stigma connected with mental illness, we need to break down these barriers and reach out with compassion to those suffering from it.
I had severe depression for years and never thiught mental illness would affect me.

There is no shame in mental illness and we need to explore it openly.

My heart breaks a little bit more each time I learn another lost soul sees no other way out.

What right have I got to judge anybody, let alone people needing hope, love and compassion?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

I know but there are many people out there because of bullying and rejection. Many people don't understand that. Many just need a ear and a hug for someone to listen to them. Not only that but sadly some don't know they have mental illness or come from a family that don't believe in doctors.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by Storyteller »

Which is why compassion is so important.
There for the grace of God go I.

My heart bleeds for those that feel they can only chose death, I care. I want to tell them dont choose death. I lose a chunk of my heart each time you do. I love you, without knowing you because if you feel that worthless, that low, you are the sort of soul we need in this world, because you feel deeply, and love. Dont deprive us all of that.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

Mental illness? Lol.. the majority of suicide cases are from sane people responding emotionally to the world. The reason why I didn't reach out to people during those moments was because I knew they wouldn't understand and there was no point. And that's how I realized Him, so faintly at first. Even though He was already there. But realizing Him; that's another story.
There is no shame in suicide. There is no shame in expressing how this world makes us feel. There is shame in how society and the ignorant say otherwise. And shame in lacking the empathy needed to understand reality for what it is, and is when the presence of Elohim is pushed out. To not understand is to not understand Him. To not care, is to not care about Him.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

I don't mean all suicides are all mental issues but that some. Sadly many can't get the help they need
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

I don't mean all suicides are all mental issues but that some. Sadly many can't get the help they need
I know, but the mentally ill who are suicidal have shown enough signs of their distress that it should never even get to that point. All the others, and even what you describe about yourself, although very limited, reveal spiritual distress. I've learned a lot in working with those in despair as a nurse. the physical is connected to the emotional both stemming from the spiritual. If all aren't healed, then you don't have a full person. And that is expressed in one of those routes of our self expression, physical, emotional or spiritual. Or a mix thereof. Sometimes it's obvious (physical), sometimes the physical is expressing an underlying disharmony or distress.. Or the reasoning for the physical is due to the consequences of the emotion and spiritual being abused inadvertently, or purposely.. Anyways, it's not hard to help those in need. It's just about caring. And really big hugs, even if they aren't ever physical.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I think most people who described wanting to end their lives are often quite normal.
Then they get diagnosed, prescribed medication and become more prone to suicide.

Came across this some time ago, quite interesting.

"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)