When Did Adam Live?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: When Did Adam Live?

Post by abelcainsbrother »

jpbg33 wrote:I don't have time to read the whole post but would like to pot a comment

Adam lived in the beginning of time 6 days after time as we know it started.

The bible says to let God be true and all men to be a liar

The bible is Gods word and it says that He created man on the 6th day, so as a Christian I am to consider anything other that that as a lie.

So Adam was created on day 6 which would be 6000 to 8000 years ago maybe a little longer depending on how long that him and Eve were in the Garden.
I agree with you it was 6000 to 10,000 years agowhen God created Adam and Eve however this has nothing to do with when the heavens and earth were created in the beginning and I think this is where young earth creationists go wrong they use Usher's chronology that goes back 6000 years to Adam and Eve then because of the way they read Genesis 1 interpret it to include the heavens and earth are 6000 years old too.I would be happy to discuss this but I do not want you to get offended or think I'm heretical because I believe Moses revealed the heavens and earth are old and not young,however it seems to anger young earth creationists when we point out their errors and I don't want that.I only care what God's word says and I throw tradition and dogma out of the discussion.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

I don't get mad that easy. It doesn't bother me if someone doesn't agree with me. I believe that in Genesis where it says that God created the earth and it was void and with out form was referring to the fact that it was bran new and that He had not put anything on it or done anything to it yet.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

There are TWO creation accounts in Genesis.
Genesis 1 in regards to the whole planet ( it can be argued all creation).
Genesis 2: the garden in Eden.

Adam comes about in regards to the Garden of Eden a special creation within creation.
We do NOT know when Adam was created and, using the biblical lineages ( either rightly or wrongly) we can only estimate when he was KICKED out of Eden and he and Eve had their first child.
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

There were not two creations there was one creation chapter one is showing the time line of creation and chapter two is just shifting the focuses from creation to man, but if you want to say it is two I guess that is up to you. If you do that it really makes evulsion impossible because it said in chapter two that man was created before animals and that animals were formed from the ground not from man. So animals didn't come from us nor did we come from animals.

so evulsion says the monkey came then the man but the bible says if chapter two was a second creation that the man came then the monkey.

that throws us coming from a monkey out the door.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:There were not two creations there was one creation chapter one is showing the time line of creation and chapter two is just shifting the focuses from creation to man, but if you want to say it is two I guess that is up to you. If you do that it really makes evulsion impossible because it said in chapter two that man was created before animals and that animals were formed from the ground not from man. So animals didn't come from us nor did we come from animals.

so evulsion says the monkey came then the man but the bible says if chapter two was a second creation that the man came then the monkey.

that throws us coming from a monkey out the door.
Paul said there were two creation ACCOUNTS. Not two creations.

And what pray tell is "evulsion"?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

if chapter one is an account of all creation and chapter 2 is an account of creation of the garden of Eden not a complete creation. Then why doesn't He just bring the animals He created in chapter 1 before Adam it wouldn't make sense to make more of the same thing to just bring them before Adam He wasn't making animals for the garden of Eden. So it sound to me that if it is not the same creation account then it has to be two different creations.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Evolution does NOT and has NEVER said that man has evolved from monkeys.
It states that Man and Apes had a common ancestor.

Genesis is a historical and theological book, not a science book.
It deals with WHY we are here and WHAT we are to do.
It does not comment on HOW God created us or WHEN.
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

the bible says God made man from the dust of the earth and he made animals out of the ground. Not form man nor man from animals but both of them from dirt of the earth. So if you wont a common ancestors we both came from dirt but not from each other.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

jpbg33 wrote:the bible says God made man from the dust of the earth and he made animals out of the ground. Not form man nor man from animals but both of them from dirt of the earth. So if you wont a common ancestors we both came from dirt but not from each other.
Actually, what the bible says is that:
And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.” 23 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.

24 And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so. 25 God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them

What it says is that God commanded the water be filled with living creatures. He created them yes, BUT it doesn't say HOW.
He created the sea animals and the flying animals and created then according to their kind but does not say HOW.

As for land animals:
God commanded the land to produce living creatures according to their kind, it doesn't say HOW only that God created them VIA the command to the land to produce them.

As for humans:
He made them in THEIR image ( Father, Son and HS) and of course this does NOT mean that we look like God but that we reflect the qualities of God ( what those qualities are is some what up for discussion of course).
He gave humans the responsibility to care take over the planet and made them male and female BUT does NOT say HOW.

Adam, is another story.
Genesis 2 gives us a creation account of the Garden in Eden.
We don't know if it was AFTER the creation account of the world BUT it seems to imply such.
Adam was created by himself in Eden, from the ground and Eve later from Adam.
No mention HOW of course, simply that it was so.

In short what is stated is that God created life on Earth by commanding the water and land to bring forth life.
He created a special individual in a special place after that and then created from this individual, an opposite gender mate.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulS wrote:
...Adam was created by himself in Eden,...
The bible dose not say Adam created himself. God created Adam. Adam dose not evulv from teh monkey.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
The bible dose not say Adam created himself. God created Adam. Adam dose not evulv from teh monkey.
No, what I meant was that Adam was created by himself, with no other person around in Eden at that time.
I didn't write that he created himself.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
No, what I meant was that Adam was created by himself, with no other person around in Eden at that time.
I didn't write that he created himself.
But wat about teh monkees? The monkees were created on befor adam. And sense Adam evulv from teh apes, then Adam was not by hisself. y:D

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Oivay
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

jpbg33 wrote:I don't have time to read the whole post but would like to pot a comment

Adam lived in the beginning of time 6 days after time as we know it started.
Yes and no

Yes Adam did live 6 days (yom) after the beginning of time
No Adam did not live 6 '24 hour days' after the beginning of time

How do we know that 'day' (yom) within the context of the creation account does not refer to 24 hours?
Genesis 2:4 is one verse within the immediate context of the creation account that tells us.

In Genesis 2:4 all six creation 'days' are collectively referred to as one day (yom). Which tells us that in Genesis 2:4 'day' (yom) cannot refer to 24 hours.
So a definition of 'day' (yom) that fits the context of Genesis 1:1-2:4 excludes the 24 hour definition.
Which then leads to other literal definitions of 'yom' that do not necessarily refer to 24 hours.
The bible says to let God be true and all men to be a liar
True, but we always have to be careful to distinguish what the Bible really says (which is true) from what men claim the Bible says (which may or may not be true)
The bible is Gods word and it says that He created man on the 6th day, so as a Christian I am to consider anything other that that as a lie.
The Bible says that God created mankind on 'day 6'.
As noted above, the Bible does not claim that God created mankind 6 '24 hour days' after the beginning of creation.
So Adam was created on day 6 which would be 6000 to 8000 years ago maybe a little longer depending on how long that him and Eve were in the Garden.
In Genesis 1 the Bible says that mankind was created on 'day 6'
Genesis 2 tells us the story of Adam and Eve, and the Biblical geneaologies indicate that Adam and Eve lived some 6000 to 8000 years ago.

Equating the creation of mankind in Genesis 1 with the story of Adam and Eve in Genesis 2 is based on the presumption that Genesis 2 is a recapitulation of Day 6 of Genesis 1. That is a presumption about what the Bible says, not what the Bible actually says.
If we read the text naturally, assuming that the events of Genesis 2 take place sequentially after the events of Genesis 1, then the creation of mankind in Genesis 1:26-27 takes place some unspecified period of time before Adam and Eve appear 6000 to 8000 years ago.

In Christ
Last edited by DBowling on Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

jpbg33 wrote:the bible says God made man from the dust of the earth and he made animals out of the ground. Not form man nor man from animals but both of them from dirt of the earth. So if you wont a common ancestors we both came from dirt but not from each other.
As you point out, being made from dust is not unique to Adam. It is true of all humans.
Psalm 103:14
1 Corinthians 15:42-49