How to respond to the accusation that the Bible is a fictional book?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Bluejay4
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

How to respond to the accusation that the Bible is a fictional book?

Post by Bluejay4 »

I'd really appreciate some advice on how to respond to this claim in a logical and factual manner.
“I fear no man. If you breathe oxygen, I do not fear you.” – Conor McGregor

"Of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" - Psalms 27:1
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: How to respond to the accusation that the Bible is a fictional book?

Post by RickD »

quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

If no grounds have been given for an assertion, then there are no grounds needed to reject it.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Start with simple questions:

Why do you believe that?

Do you believe in God?

Do you believe the universe had to have a cause?

Can you tell me of ANYTHING that is uncaused? That creates itself? That not only creates itself but THEN organizes with mind-blowing complexity, immense power, and according to laws (and where did THOSE come from???!!!) of great consistency and specificity?

If you can ever get someone to open the door to the realization that God at least MIGHT exist, then I would ask, "OK, so you do realize that any Being capable of creating, organizing and sustaining what we observe has no apparent limitations, correct? As this Being has done what we can't even truly understand or comprehend the scope and scale of, right? Therefore, isn't, when one contemplating such an all-powerful Being, from which ALL things sprung, foolish to say, "Yes, but even though God could create a universe and life itself, He couldn't have done this ___________ or that ____________ " - illogical, no? So, back to the person's comment about the Bible. What can a person plug into those blanks that, given such a powerful, incredible Creator, one could rationally say He cannot do?

To me, the above gives a person a choice: That either an uncaused universe suddenly popped into existence with immense power and THEN it organized itself with incredible complexity and design OR a God existed. Meaning, any metaphysical thing might be possible ("Do you believe in metaphysics?/miracles?), OR that a necessary Creator has some supposed limitations per what one reads about in the Bible. And so, WHICH is it???!!!
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

A couple tools though:

Look up the 2520 Days Prophecy.

Also look up a documentary called "Patterns of Evidence: Exodus" on Netflix or whatever you have.
God's grace is not cheap; it's free.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Bluejay4 wrote:I'd really appreciate some advice on how to respond to this claim in a logical and factual manner.
You probably need to take some time to read up on Apologetics and learn how to defend the bible and your faith in it. Now I don't know how much you know about the bible and biblical evidence but there is alot out there,it just takes time to research it and find it.It really depends on you and how much you want to get into Christian apologetics and how much research you're willing to put into it but the evidence is out there if you're willing to seek it out. However when dealing with atheists you need to be in control about biblical evidence,because evidence very rarely effects an atheist,it is more about having evidence to present at the right time to convince other people,not so much to change an atheists mind. Atheists will exclude themselves from needing any evidence yet expect you to prove God is real,it is just a evidence deny game they like to play with Christians,so don't be tricked into it,instead you be in control about when you present evidence or reasons to believe,otherwise you'll just get bogged down.One thing you can do that is fairly easy for now is to point out the lack of proof and evidence atheism is true.Atheists exclude themselves from needing to have evidence for atheism so you can really drive it home that atheism is just an opinion with absolutely no evidence behind it,even false religions have more evidence behind them than atheism.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

I would ask why he believes it. If he seems to be open to discussing the matter I would try to answer his reasons. If it appears that his mind is made up on the subject I wouldn't bother confusing him with facts.

Remember that we can't persuade unbelievers of the truth by logic alone because their minds have been blinded by Satan. We must ask God to guide us and show us how to respond.
And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
(1 Corinthians 2:1-5 ESV)
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.