God and Rap

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Seeker
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: God and Rap

Post by Seeker »

I guess it was a bad question to ask individuals of an "older" generation.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Seeker wrote:I guess it was a bad question to ask individuals of an "older" generation.
I listen to a wide variety of music however hard rock and heavy metal is my favorite however I still like country,blue grass,blues,jazz,old rock n roll,disco,motown type music,and even some rap,plus even more than this but I still prefer to try to find good Christian music to listen to. I used to have Christian music in just about any style of music out there,this is why I posted Demon Killa for you. I think you can find good rap that is still Christian. I remember rocking out to songs where it bothered me to sing the lyrics like Highway to Hell by AC/DC eventhough it is not even talking about real hell,still it bothered me to sing those lyrics.This is why the band Apologetix is now one ofmy favorite bands because they parody these secular songs in all different styles of music to make it easier to remember what the bible says so that now I can enjoy the music and get bible teaching and a Christian message.
Check out their parody of Loose Yourself by eminem
Look Yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alx1QTwiUAY
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Seeker wrote:I guess it was a bad question to ask individuals of an "older" generation.
Not really, especially when one the :wheelchair: writes songs and lyrics and even a Christian Rap song...

Heck but what do I know? I am 57 years old and since I am that age, God has no use for me as he can only use young people 1-44 yeas old and those past 45 should quit the church and role over and die as we are outdated, unwanted and ignorant... However, I am thankful God does not think like that and has us pass the torch on to the younger so they can run the race. Really saddens me how the worldly modern youth culture has influenced the church, even in music and puts division between people to this day.

Now back to the topic... my prune juice is getting warm, the metamucil is coagulating, and my Ensure is turning into activia y:p2

Modern street rap is pure trash. Put garbage in your mind and out comes garbage. Same with any music pop, rock, jazz, etc and etc.

Music is music no matter the type, even if it is Traditional Japanese string plucking - Pluch string pause - sing Ah soo Me la - pluck string pause and repeat...

It is the lyrics and emotional element of any song that makes it either trash or decently benign or if it is Holy unto the Lord, or useful to bring folks close together for corporate worship that sheds worldly distractions away...

Look at break down of society/crime and note what lyrics these folks put into themselves and the result.

There are good Christian rap songs out there so enjoy!

Can a Rap song led into a sense of corporate worship in a Church Assembly and sustain it for at least 30 minutes?

You decide...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Demon Killa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRD4N_Hyefo
Couldn't listen to more than a minute of that. Good God, that's awful.
You'll like this rapper, Rick...
He's shorter than you....just :mrgreen:

Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
RickD wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Demon Killa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRD4N_Hyefo
Couldn't listen to more than a minute of that. Good God, that's awful.
I don't much like rap myself however I like the rap message behind Demon Killa.
How about some Randy Rose "Black Harvest"? Crank it up loud and Rock to some truth!An oldy but a goody!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWluTxS23Ws
Sorry. Not my cup of tea.
How bout this?
Who says old white guys cant rap? ;)

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

That's Weird Al. He's an exception to every rule.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Here is another parody by Apologetix of a Eminem rap(The Real Slim Shady) song.
The Real Sin Savior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faUaGZBeAPc
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
zacchaeus
Valued Member

Post by zacchaeus »

Wow.

Why God and rap (secular)?

There is an amazing alternative called Christian rap. As an artist myself, I find this thread unedifying.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

zacchaeus wrote:Wow.

Why God and rap (secular)?

There is an amazing alternative called Christian rap. As an artist myself, I find this thread unedifying.
Hey Zacchaeus. For you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4sVq8Esm40

melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

I like rap, well some of it.
Especially old school and I like Aussie rap, bliss n eso, Hilltop Hoods but that's probably more hip hop.
I don't think there is any genre of music that I don't appreciate to some extent.
Last edited by melanie on Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Seeker,

Getting back to your op...

Music preference is very subjective. I would say that to continually listen to any kind of music that has bad language, no matter what genre of music it is, is probably not healthy for a believer.

So, I'd say that if you really enjoy rap, find some with more uplifting lyrics. I'd give the same answer to someone who listens to any other kind of music, with bad language.

If it's the beat in rap music that you like, I'm sure you can find something that's uplifting.

And FYI, I don't think only the younger generation enjoys rap. Rap first became popular in the early 1980's. So, there are plenty of old folks my age that like rap. :wheelchair:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

RickD wrote:Seeker,

Getting back to your op...

Music preference is very subjective. I would say that to continually listen to any kind of music that has bad language, no matter what genre of music it is, is probably not healthy for a believer.

So, I'd say that if you really enjoy rap, find some with more uplifting lyrics. I'd give the same answer to someone who listens to any other kind of music, with bad language.

If it's the beat in rap music that you like, I'm sure you can find something that's uplifting.

And FYI, I don't think only the younger generation enjoys rap. Rap first became popular in the early 1980's. So, there are plenty of old folks my age that like rap. :wheelchair:
Three cheers for RickD as we raise our prune juice glasses for a toast!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
zacchaeus
Valued Member

Post by zacchaeus »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pQDzRFBoHV4

Pay attention to the words.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

zacchaeus wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pQDzRFBoHV4

I like the message,not bad if you like rap.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

zacchaeus wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pQDzRFBoHV4

Can someone translate for me. I can't understand a thing he's saying.

-Edward R Murrow