Hillary Clinton, POTUS

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Re: Hillary Clinton, POTUS

Post by melanie »

:beat: :beat: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Anti semitism is a racist ideology. It is without justification and it is ugly, evil like all forms of racism and is a hatred based solely on ethnicity and/or religious background.
I am and have always been a staunch opposer to any forms of racism. Quite frankly I hate racism. It bothers me to my core. It is in my opinion humanities greatest affliction.

I also stand against any political ideology that strips away the rights and basic freedoms of another.
That takes away land unjustifiably, that restricts access to basic services, that restricts travel through intimidation and check points. That retaliates with force that is unjustified.
You can not treat people in the manner the Palestinians have been treated.
I don't care who is doing the mistreating.
Wrong is wrong.
I could not care one iota about the ethnicity of who is involved.
Israel has broken so many international laws. They have gone far beyond what was originally set out in the Balfour agreement. They have systematically robbed the Palestinians of their land and home by force and intimidation.
And yet the world stands by and allows it to happen. Worse still they justify it. Even worse again Christians support it.
Not this Christian.
People can call me whatever they like.
Anti what ever floats you boat......
In not anti anything, but pro diginity, pro fairness and pro Jesus.

I have studied the Israeli/Palestinian conflict over the last few years and pretty intensely.
I am tired to be honest of not doing enough. I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that massive injustices are being carried out, and it peeves me off.
I stand behind the Palestinians. I don't support terrorism. By either the Palestinians or the state sanctioned terrorism of Israel.

I have spoken to my husband about wanting to visit the region. Getting the real story that we are not being shown on our 'news'. Starting a YouTube channel to document my travels, those I meet and speak too, the real stories of these people. On both sides.
Getting past the propaganda on both sides and seeing for myself, using social media to document what I find.
But my husband at this stage will not let me. He thinks I'm nuts and will probably be shot in the process.
I'm serious about making this happen, one day soon perhaps.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

You are off topic, melanie. If you want to discuss something else besides the Democatic Party's nominees, start another topic.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

Playing mod FL??
I was responding directly to what was brought up within the thread.
A mod if they please can move my post into another more appropriate thread if they so please.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:You are off topic, melanie. If you want to discuss something else besides the Democatic Party's nominees, start another topic.
She said what I'd have said in response to your comments. Doesn't seem off-topic. And if it is, this forum is like 80% mods. I'm sure they can handle it.

But back on topic, I'm still anticipating a race between Hillary Clinton and Jeb X.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

edwardmurphy wrote:
But back on topic, I'm still anticipating a race between Hillary Clinton and Jeb X.
So are you saying that America is controlled by oligarchs? What about the «We The People...» business in your Declaration of Independence? Have the 67% of Americans who don't bother to vote voluntarily given up their right to choose leaders?

Is »Freedom» nothing but a meaningless mantra for Americans now? From where I sit, it certainly seems that way...
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Have the 67% of Americans who don't bother to vote voluntarily given up their right to choose leaders?
Pretty much!
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
edwardmurphy wrote:
So are you saying that America is controlled by oligarchs? What about the «We The People...» business in your Declaration of Independence? Have the 67% of Americans who don't bother to vote voluntarily given up their right to choose leaders?

Is »Freedom» nothing but a meaningless mantra for Americans now?
I hate to say it, but yes, that's pretty much what I'm saying.

Here. Read it and weep. Or in your case I guess you can just be thankful you're Canadian.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

edwardmurphy wrote:
edwardmurphy wrote:

Is »Freedom» nothing but a meaningless mantra for Americans now?
I hate to say it, but yes, that's pretty much what I'm saying.

Here. Read it and weep. Or in your case I guess you can just be thankful you're Canadian.
I hate to admit it, but I think you're right.(Not that I hate it that you're right, but I hate to admit that democracy here really is a sham).

I keep hearing that Rubio is the establishment's choice. At least on the Rep. side. For a while, I thought it was Bush. But, unless something drastic happens, I can't see Bush having any chance.

What ever happened to the president being elected by popular vote? Who even came up with the electoral college?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

FL: Have the 67% of Americans who don't bother to vote voluntarily given up their right to choose leaders?
Philip: Pretty much!
Except, as a high percentage of that 67% are truly clueless and ignorant, I'm thankful many of them DON'T vote! Excepting that young persons can and do serve in the military, pay taxes, I ALMOST wouldn't want most people voting before a certain average age in which most people aren't nearly as naive or as easily manipulated (which is over 40 for many :lol: ).
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

edwardmurphy wrote:
Here. Read it and weep.
RickD wrote:I hate to admit it, but I think you're right.(Not that I hate it that you're right, but I hate to admit that democracy here really is a sham).
Philip wrote:
Have the 67% of Americans who don't bother to vote voluntarily given up their right to choose leaders?
Pretty much!
You guys are depressing. If the leading nation in the world has become a sham democracy, there isn't much hope for the rest of us.

+ + +

+ + +
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:You guys are depressing. If the leading nation in the world has become a sham democracy, there isn't much hope for the rest of us.
It depends on what kind of inspiration the rest of you draw from our example.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

edwardmurphy wrote:
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:You guys are depressing. If the leading nation in the world has become a sham democracy, there isn't much hope for the rest of us.
Eddy, Eddy, Eddy... the world always follows the Leader. Always. Even though individual countries claim otherwise, the USA sets the trends in entertainment and business and communication and so on...

+ + +

+ + +
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

edwardmurphy wrote:
Eddy, Eddy, Eddy... the world always follows the Leader. Always. Even though individual countries claim otherwise, the USA sets the trends in entertainment and business and communication and so on...
As an American I'm probably expected to say something like "Of course they do. We're the best country on Earth! USA! USA! USA!" But I'm not going to say that, because American exceptionalism is a stupid idea that breeds arrogance and complacency, neither of which we can afford in an increasingly competitive world.

Instead, I'm going to say that I hope that the rest of the world has the sense to take the good and leave the bad, because we have lots of both.

Also, it occurs to me that you guys are doing okay, despite being so close to us that your kids can't help but learn all of our bad habits. When progressives push for election reform or socialized medicine they use you as an example. Supposedly your government is civil and functional, and I heard that you blocked FOX News from starting up a Canadian network. Rumor has it that you even trust your banks. Is that all a big lie? That would be disappointing - I was thinking of fleeing to Canada when things down here get too stupid to be endured.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

edwardmurphy wrote:...Instead, I'm going to say that I hope that the rest of the world has the sense to take the good and leave the bad, because we have lots of both.
Indeed! I've often said that America produces the best and the worst of everything. Why do you think that your country has taken a turn for the worse?
edwardmurphy wrote:Also, it occurs to me that [Canada is] doing okay, despite being so close to us that your kids can't help but learn all of our bad habits. When progressives push for election reform or socialized medicine they use you as an example. Supposedly your government is civil and functional, and I heard that you blocked FOX News from starting up a Canadian network. Rumor has it that you even trust your banks. Is that all a big lie? That would be disappointing - I was thinking of fleeing to Canada when things down here get too stupid to be endured.
I'm no Canadian jingoist - far from it - but this is a pretty good place to live. For an American looking to emigrate somewhere, Canada is a better choice than most other English-speaking countries. Victoria, British Columbia, and Saint John's, Newfoundland are very nice cities. Beautiful places, really. A move to either one would be a good move for you.

Anyway, you never told me why you don't register as a Democrat and vote for Bernie Sanders? (Or anyone else for that matter...anyone but That Woman.)

+ + +

+ + +
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

edwardmurphy wrote:...Instead, I'm going to say that I hope that the rest of the world has the sense to take the good and leave the bad, because we have lots of both.
Indeed! I've often said that America produces the best and the worst of everything. Why do you think that your country has taken a turn for the worse?
My two-year-old daughter kept me up all night last night screaming about...something. She never really explained what it was all about. Anyway, I'm tired so here's a huge oversimplification. Maybe later I'll try to do better, but that's a really big question. Anyway, here it is:

We took our eye off the ball and the billionaires stole all of our money and used it to buy our government. Consequently, things are going incredibly well for them, but rather poorly for the rest of us.
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Anyway, you never told me why you don't register as a Democrat and vote for Bernie Sanders? (Or anyone else for that matter...anyone but That Woman.)
The two-party system is a travesty and I hate them both. Gerrymandering disgusts me. Killing bills in committee ticks me off. Filibusters infuriate me. The oversimplification of every complex issue into liberal or conservative, red or blue, elephant or donkey is maddening. The way the Big Two collude to keep third-party candidates out of the picture makes me want to move somewhere else. So no, I'm not going to register as a Democrat. I like them better than the Republicans, but it still feels like a choice between pneumonia and lung cancer. If I had to choose then I'd reluctantly go with the one that's less likely to kill me, but I don't want either.

If I had to pick my perfect candidate it would be some kind of a blend between Ron Paul and Bernie Sanders, which I guess sounds pretty bizarre. Off the top of my head, I'd like to see massive investment in infrastructure, R&D, and education here at home, a significant reduction of our military spending*, a complete overhaul of the campaign and election processes, strong tariffs to protect American businesses, a shift toward renewable, sustainable energy sources, a foreign policy focused on doing business abroad and defending ourselves or our allies if necessary (offense is NOT a good defense), an end to for-profit prisons and mandatory sentencing, the repeal of the Tiahrt Amendment so that gun violence can be studied objectively, and a hundred other things I can't think of at the moment.

* That's the top ten military budgets in the world. I have a few thoughts -

1) We spend as much as the other nine combined.
2) Six of those nine are our long-term allies.
3) Russia, China, and India are not allied with each other or with anyone else on that list.
4) About 350 bridges in my home state (New Hampshire) are in urgent need of replacement, but money is too tight to get them all done.
5) Infrastructure pays for itself. Carrier Battle Groups do not.
6) Our priorities are horribly screwed up.