This is our future

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: This is our future

Post by RickD »

Nothing is too expensive for a husband's loving, hard working, devoted wife.

That's what I told my wife one year when I bought her an expensive ring. You know what she said?

"That's too expensive!"
y#-o
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:I haven`t seen the video (no sound) so I am only going by what has been posted here. Am I right in thinking that this girl wants the rich to pay off her student debts?
She wants her tuition paid for by the richest 1% of Americans. And she wants ALL tuition paid for, by them as well.

She said that a 50% tax rate isn't enough. The 1% needs to be taxed however much is necessary, for "free" tuition to all students.
Yeah, her plan isn't very well developed. She's a kid. But her point is still valid.

Regarding the 50%+ income tax rate, I think that's probably high enough. A high income tax misses the mark anyway. Remember Mitt Romney - 33% on the trivial 300K he made for giving speeches, and 17% on the $20 million he made in carried interest? The billionaires write the tax laws to suit their needs.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Will watch the clip when I can.

Education should be free and available to all, not just those who can afford it.
My daughter is 10, very smart and has her sights on Cambridge or similar. We are lucky, her grandpa has set up a trust fund for college fees otherwise there would be no chance.

Further education should be based on ability not income.

(If I have missed something, sorry, like I say not seen the clip yet)
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

edwardmurphy wrote:
RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:I haven`t seen the video (no sound) so I am only going by what has been posted here. Am I right in thinking that this girl wants the rich to pay off her student debts?
She wants her tuition paid for by the richest 1% of Americans. And she wants ALL tuition paid for, by them as well.

She said that a 50% tax rate isn't enough. The 1% needs to be taxed however much is necessary, for "free" tuition to all students.
Yeah, her plan isn't very well developed. She's a kid. But her point is still valid.

Regarding the 50%+ income tax rate, I think that's probably high enough. A high income tax misses the mark anyway. Remember Mitt Romney - 33% on the trivial 300K he made for giving speeches, and 17% on the $20 million he made in carried interest? The billionaires write the tax laws to suit their needs.
I'm not sure if they write the tax laws. They didn't get to be millionaires by chance. They have the intelligence to know how to legally get through tax loopholes. Or, they have the money to pay someone to find the loopholes for them. As long as it's legal I've got no problem with it.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:Will watch the clip when I can.

Education should be free and available to all, not just those who can afford it.
My daughter is 10, very smart and has her sights on Cambridge or similar. We are lucky, her grandpa has set up a trust fund for college fees otherwise there would be no chance.

I guess you just have a different mindset about this. There is no such thing as "free". Somebody has to pay for it.

Who pays the professors and the colleges? If college is free or even too cheap, the professors won't get paid enough. Then there won't be a demand for good professors.

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

RickD wrote:Nothing is too expensive for a husband's loving, hard working, devoted wife.

That's what I told my wife one year when I bought her an expensive ring. You know what she said?

"That's too expensive!"
y#-o
Spendthrift! ... You could have donated that money to Benny Hinn Ministries! Your fleshly heart had to go and use God's resources to buy a bauble for your wife...

:shakehead:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
RickD wrote:Nothing is too expensive for a husband's loving, hard working, devoted wife.

"That's too expensive!"
y#-o
Spendthrift! ... You could have donated that money to Benny Hinn Ministries! Your fleshly heart had to go and use God's resources to buy a bauble for your wife...

:shakehead:
Ahem...The saying is, "Happy wife, happy life".

Not, "Happy, rich, heretic(Hinn), happy life". Duh! y#-o

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:

I guess you just have a different mindset about this. There is no such thing as "free". Somebody has to pay for it.

Who pays the professors and the colleges? If college is free or even too cheap, the professors won't get paid enough. Then there won't be a demand for good professors.
It just seems unfair that someone who could, and would benefit from further education can't do so because they cant afford it.
The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:
RickD wrote:

It just seems unfair that someone who could, and would benefit from further education can't do so because they cant afford it.
The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
There's no academic scholarships in The Queen's Land?

I think you need to petition Charles about that.

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Good point rick but not everyone gets a scholarship.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:Good point rick but not everyone gets a scholarship.
If your daughter is half as smart as her mother, the two of you can find a way to get one.

Besides, you live in England, I thought everything was "free" there! :shock:

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Only the love ;)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:Only the love ;)
Im sure that's taxed too...

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

No taxing.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:No taxing.
y#-o

-Edward R Murrow