How did God become man?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Bluejay4
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

How did God become man?

Post by Bluejay4 »

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life,[a] and the life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him. 8 He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light.

9 The true light, which gives light to everyone, was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him. 11 He came to his own, and his own people[c] did not receive him. 12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, 13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. 15 (John bore witness about him, and cried out, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me ranks before me, because he was before me.’”) 16 For from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.[d] 17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God; the only God,[e] who is at the Father's side,[f] he has made him known.

Okay maybe you guys can help me figure this out/wrap my head around it, how exactly does an infinite being such as God become a mere finite being such as man? Wouldn't this be like trying to fit an infinite amount of people into a finite amount of rooms? This isn't even bringing up all the tricky business about not losing any of his divine nature in the process of becoming man, seriously how was Jesus still omnipresent while he was confined to a human body? How could he be everywhere? Am I over-thinking this?
“I fear no man. If you breathe oxygen, I do not fear you.” – Conor McGregor

"Of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" - Psalms 27:1
manden
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Re: How did God become man?

Post by manden »

The TRUE God , the real creator of the universe , did not become a man , how you describe it !
We do not know that he ever became a man . That is all nothing but human invention and imagination
( like all religions in the main ) .
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

manden wrote:The TRUE God , the real creator of the universe , did not become a man , how you describe it !
We do not know that he ever became a man . That is all nothing but human invention and imagination
We DO know that He became man.

Christ was conceived through the Holy Spirit and born to Mary, thus having his human nature from Mary and his divine nature from God.

The ONLY way to the Father is through Christ.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Bluejay4 wrote:
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life,[a] and the life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him. 8 He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light.

9 The true light, which gives light to everyone, was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him. 11 He came to his own, and his own people[c] did not receive him. 12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, 13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. 15 (John bore witness about him, and cried out, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me ranks before me, because he was before me.’”) 16 For from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.[d] 17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God; the only God,[e] who is at the Father's side,[f] he has made him known.

Okay maybe you guys can help me figure this out/wrap my head around it, how exactly does an infinite being such as God become a mere finite being such as man? Wouldn't this be like trying to fit an infinite amount of people into a finite amount of rooms? This isn't even bringing up all the tricky business about not losing any of his divine nature in the process of becoming man, seriously how was Jesus still omnipresent while he was confined to a human body? How could he be everywhere? Am I over-thinking this?

You might be over thinking this a tad :)

Okay, this is just what I think. Christ is fully God so it`s perfectly reasonable to expect Him to be omnipresent. I don`t think God would find that difficult, I mean look at what He can do! He was fully human through Mary but fully God through the Holy Spirit. He loved us enough to become man, to show us how to live a Godly life. To suffer alongside us, to feel what we feel, to go through the things we go through.

Thinking about it, once we accept Christ, are we not all infinite beings? We`re in a finite body are we not? So was Christ. It`s our physical bodies that are finite not our souls.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
DBowling
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DBowling »

Some thoughts...

Philippians 2:5-11
5 Have this attitude [e]in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be [f]grasped, 7 but [g]emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death [h]on a cross. 9 For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Hebrews 4:14-16
14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. 16 Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
manden
Recognized Member

Post by manden »

Storyteller wrote:
manden wrote:The TRUE God , the real creator of the universe , did not become a man , how you describe it !

Christ was conceived through the Holy Spirit and born to Mary, thus having his human nature from Mary and his divine nature from God.

Sorry , you are indoctrinated .
The bible is NOT the WORD of God ! And in the main human invention and imagination . Prove it with reason and logic !
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

manden wrote:
Storyteller wrote:

The bible is NOT the WORD of God ! And in the main human invention and imagination . Prove it with reason and logic !
Then I think I will respectfully withdraw from this debate. I believe the Bible IS the word of God.
manden
Recognized Member

Post by manden »

Storyteller ,

sorry , I can and will not change the truth .
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

manden wrote:
Storyteller wrote:

Manden,

Please reread the Board Purpose, which you agreed to when you joined the forum. Especially, keep this in mind:
This board is not for those who have strongly made up their mind that Christ is "not" for them; who merely wish to put down, debate, and argue against essential Christian beliefs. As such, those who are Christian, have not made up their minds, or desire civilised discussions on Christianity are encouraged to join, while others who merely wish to attack and try to discredit Christianity are discouraged and will be heavily moderated.
Calling Christians "indoctrinated" because of one of our essential beliefs, will not be tolerated.

If you have come here to argue against essential Christian beliefs, then this forum is not for you. There are plenty of other forums out there, that allow you to do that.

Thank you for your understanding.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
manden
Recognized Member

Post by manden »

RickD ,

I do not lie to others , and I do not lie to myself .

And I will not change that . Because the TRUE God likes it .
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

You still haven`t explained who this god is (and I`m using a small g because I don`t think it`s the God of the Bible)

And.... if all we can know is that there is a creator, how do you know he likes it?
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Wow, this is a mess ... y#-o y:O2

Look manden, you've reached a place where there are no discussions on the "if's" of God. This is the place where He exists for all to believe. We really aren't going to listen to another human with his new version of God, as you spoke of earlier. You have made yourself just another man with another idea on God. Quite honestly, you are the culprit who has man-made another version of God and we're not buying it. I know you feel strongly and that's fine, but your message is wrong in our eyes and you trying to convince us is fruitless.

Take rick's advice and find another venue for your proselytizing.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

manden wrote:RickD ,

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. No one can come to the father(creator), except through Christ.
John 14:6
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

by RickD » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:48 am

manden wrote:
RickD ,

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. No one can come to the father(creator), except through Christ.
This is the way of it .... period. Do you better understand (below) this now ?

Look manden, you've reached a place where there are no discussions on the "if's" of God. This is the place where He exists for all to believe.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:
by RickD » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:48 am

manden wrote:
RickD ,

This is the way of it .... period. Do you better understand (below) this now ?

Look manden, you've reached a place where there are no discussions on the "if's" of God. This is the place where He exists for all to believe.
Unless you`re an atheist :mrgreen: