How do you view heaven?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: How do you view heaven?

Post by Hortator »

Rich did an essay on this very thing,

"The new earth will have no sea
There will be no Sun or moon
Gravity will be absent or greatly reduced
No more death, suffering, pain
Believers will receive a new body"

http://www.godandscience.org/doctrine/heaven.html

I'm most interested to see my new body in a mirror. If those exist in heaven, if people are still superficial to make them, or if they CAN make mirrors in heaven, since there's no sea and thus no sand.

I'll just look forward to it patiently =)
stuartcr
Valued Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by stuartcr »

Disciplical wrote:People's interpretation of heaven tend to vary greatly. As far as I am aware, there is no solid consensus on what heaven could be like. The Bible doesn't seem to be all that forthcoming with information regarding our next life. What do you picture when you think of heaven?

Personally, I would want a world similar to this one, without sin and pain. Imagine experiencing all the joys of life without any negatives. I'd like to a place to gain infinite knowledge and wisdom and understanding. I've always thought I'd love to learn all the earth's many languages - shame I'd need many lifetimes to do it! A place where family and friends exist together free from pain and the inevitability of death and suffering, and a place where one can explore and continue learning and experiencing. I imagine this sounds whimsical but this would be an ideal existence.

What knowledge do we have of heaven and how do you interpret it?
I don't think anyone has any real knowledge of heaven.
Bluejay4
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Bluejay4 »

So people who die right now go to a temporary heaven?
“I fear no man. If you breathe oxygen, I do not fear you.” – Conor McGregor

"Of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" - Psalms 27:1
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Bluejay4 wrote:So people who die right now go to a temporary heaven?
No because it will be brought here to earth after the earth is destroyed by fire first then restored.I don't see how it could be temporary because it is just brought here.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

Bluejay4 wrote:So people who die right now go to a temporary heaven?
Am thinking on the hoof here, so bear with me.

I am still figuring out what my thoughts are on Heaven etc but I think when we die, wherever we go could be immediate. I don`t think time exists apart from here, on earth so it`s possible for all that have died before to already be in Heaven. Heaven and God are in eternity, apart from time.
Mind you, that doesn`t really fit with the new heaven being here on earth.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Heaven is the abode of God. Scripture teaches that the PERMANENT Heaven will be a merging of a restored/resurrected earth the Heaven, just as God restores us to new life, cleansing us of corruption.

Read Revelation 21. "Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

" And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. 11 It shone with the glory of God, and its brilliance was like that of a very precious jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. 12 It had a great, high wall with twelve gates, and with twelve angels at the gates. On the gates were written the names of the twelve tribes of Israel. 13 There were three gates on the east, three on the north, three on the south and three on the west. 14 The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

15 The angel who talked with me had a measuring rod of gold to measure the city, its gates and its walls. 16 The city was laid out like a square, as long as it was wide."
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

How do you view heaven?
With sin stained glasses. :egeek:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:
How do you view heaven?
That is THE most PERFECT response
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:
RickD wrote:
How do you view heaven?
Even a broken clock is right twice a day! :D
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:
RickD wrote:
How do you view heaven?
Not if its a 24 hour one.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:
RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:
RickD wrote:
How do you view heaven?
Not if its a 24 hour one.
Ok...even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Or an acorn.

Why do they forget where they put them? Not exactly a good example for evolution... "ooo I know, stash some nuts away for winter then promptly forget where"
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

When I was very young there was a Disney movie Peter Pan with this song that always, as a child, made me feel like it was close to heaven, closer than us ... and touches me still :sunny: I know, silly ... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Ukjt9CeuY
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:When I was very young there was a Disney movie Peter Pan with this song that always, as a child, made me feel like it was close to heaven, closer than us ... and touches me still :sunny: I know, silly ... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Ukjt9CeuY
Um...That song was from 1973. You weren't "very young" in 1973.

:wheelchair:

-Edward R Murrow

EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

I see ... so not only do you decide what is and isn't young in my mind, (2/3rds of a lifetime ago) you completely miss the point that some 40 years later I still have the same great feeling from the song ... the point of the post ... y:-?

I should just keep this stuff to myself, huh ? :oops:
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine