Atheists: Does anything attract you to Christianity?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Atheists: Does anything attract you to Christianity?

Post by Kenny »

zacchaeus wrote:Audie,

Lay out what it is you believe, your worldview... Why, how'd you draw your conclusions?
Whatever her worldview is, it is important for you to recognize that it is not an atheist worldview, but rather just her worldview.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Kenny wrote:

Lay out what it is you believe, your worldview... Why, how'd you draw your conclusions?
Whatever her worldview is, it is important for you to recognize that it is not an atheist worldview, but rather just her worldview.

Ken
Does atheism come into play, though, with forming an entire worldview? If so, does it affect this process a lot, a little, or just a smidge?
zacchaeus
Valued Member

Post by zacchaeus »

Ken, that is fine and understood... I want to give the benefit since discussion has supposedly been one-sided and misunderstood or misrepresented.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

For those interested, here's a good article describing what a worldview is, and what one's worldview should address.
http://www.reasons.org/articles/what-in ... -worldview
A viable worldview must offer adequate answers to these questions

Ultimate Reality What kind of God, if any, actually exists?
External Reality Is there anything beyond the cosmos?
Knowledge What can be known, and how can anyone know it?
Origin Where did I come from?
Identity Who am I?
Location Where am I?
Morals How should I live?
Values What should I consider of great worth?
Predicament What is humanity's fundamental problem?
Resolution How can humanity's problem be solved?
Past / Present What is the meaning and direction of history?
Destiny Will I survive the death of my body and, if so, in what state?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Kenny wrote:

Ken
A red tinted glass, may be just glass, but that doesn't mean it's also not red tinted.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Hortator wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
Does atheism come into play, though, with forming an entire worldview? If so, does it affect this process a lot, a little, or just a smidge?
Speaking for myself only (I can't speak for audie) Atheism has no more of an effect than Santa Clause or Easter Bunny; IOW not even a smidge.

Ken
RickD wrote
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Kenny wrote:
Hortator wrote:
Kenny wrote: Whatever her worldview is, it is important for you to recognize that it is not an atheist worldview, but rather just her worldview.

Ken
Speaking for myself only (I can't speak for audie) Atheism has no more of an effect than Santa Clause or Easter Bunny; IOW not even a smidge.
That's fair. I mean, not we or I have proof that your outlook on life is formed from atheism. And it would be presumptuous to assume, considering I don't know you personally. :shakehand:

Although I personally believe that my worldview has been dynamically changed since I became a Christian. My life has not changed dramatically, but how I respond to life, look at things in life, has. It's so beyond the scope of this post that I can't really gather up every example.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Hortator wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Hortator wrote:
Kenny wrote: Whatever her worldview is, it is important for you to recognize that it is not an atheist worldview, but rather just her worldview.

Ken
That's fair. I mean, not we or I have proof that your outlook on life is formed from atheism. And it would be presumptuous to assume, considering I don't know you personally. :shakehand:

Although I personally believe that my worldview has been dynamically changed since I became a Christian. My life has not changed dramatically, but how I respond to life, look at things in life, has. It's so beyond the scope of this post that I can't really gather up every example.
That makes sense. For a believer who believes there is a source that is without flaw, it makes sense to take the “one size fits all approach” and base all your ideas, thoughts, and perceptions through this flawless source.
For a person like myself who doesn’t believe anything is without flaw, the “one size fits all” approach doesn’t work. An example would be; I find the “Golden Rule” as a good source for most situations, but I recognize it is even flawed. There are some situations where it doesn’t work and even some times it could have detrimental affects if applied. Then there are views that might contradict depending upon the situation like the way I view art will drastically contradict the way I view politics. The way I view economics might contradict how I view relationships.
Anyway I definitely understand your point, I’ve seen people go from non believer to believer (and sometimes the other way around) and noticed a difference in the way they deal with situations in life.

Ken
RickD wrote
Audie
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by Audie »

Kenny wrote:
Hortator wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken

Ken
Why would it change me? It is how I started out.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
A red tinted glass, may be just glass, but that doesn't mean it's also not red tinted.
The word is tinge, and I aint the one with a tinge.

Do you believe that Zimbabwean Kickball is the most fascinating and important human activity?

If not, does that mean you have aZimbabwean Kickballist tinted glasses?

Poor analogy. They may at least play kick ball in Africa. Your religion is all from the realm of fantasy.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:For those interested, here's a good article describing what a worldview is, and what one's worldview should address.
http://www.reasons.org/articles/what-in ... -worldview
A viable worldview must offer adequate answers to these questions

Ultimate Reality What kind of God, if any, actually exists?
External Reality Is there anything beyond the cosmos?
Knowledge What can be known, and how can anyone know it?
Origin Where did I come from?
Identity Who am I?
Location Where am I?
Morals How should I live?
Values What should I consider of great worth?
Predicament What is humanity's fundamental problem?
Resolution How can humanity's problem be solved?
Past / Present What is the meaning and direction of history?
Destiny Will I survive the death of my body and, if so, in what state?
"What a worldview is, from a Christian perspective"
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Audie wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Hortator wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken

Ken
Why would it change me? It is how I started out.
But is it how you want to end?
Change can be good.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

I think that in your question is the underlying idea that one can change
belief by deciding to.

Maybe some are adept at self deception, but such a decision, that is to believe,
would not fool me. I

f there is a god,
it would not fool him either.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

I think it is entirely possible to choose what to believe (or not).
I used to believe in Santa.

Belief in God is something you choose, at least I think it is.
I chose to believe in God, and Christ.
Not blindly, but after looking into it all.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Storyteller wrote:I think it is entirely possible to choose what to believe (or not).
I used to believe in Santa.

Belief in God is something you choose, at least I think it is.
I chose to believe in God, and Christ.
Not blindly, but after looking into it all.
Maybe you should think a little harder on the business of choosing to believe.

Esp as an adult.

My looking-into of Christianity tells me that while some of it is historical, more or less, there is so much that is neither historical nor true that it taints the whole thing. Perjury does that.