Should I claim to be a Catholic?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
IceMobster
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Should I claim to be a Catholic?

Post by IceMobster »

Should I claim to be a Catholic if I do not see reason or believe in certain teachings presented by the Catholic Church?
Such as the Pope's infallibility(!), Mary being sinless before she conceived,... (can't remember atm for any else)
What do you think?
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Should I claim to be a Catholic?

Post by Jac3510 »

No

edit:

And for the record, Catholicism doesn't merely teach that Mary was sinless before she was conceived. Catholicism teaches that Mary was born without original sin (that's called Immaculate Conception) and that she never sinned. To be clear, Catholicism teaches that Mary still needed to be saved from sin, and that she was saved from sin and that by her son Jesus Christ. An analogy I have heard used in this regard is Jesus protecting her from falling into a pit. Without Jesus' intervention, she would have fallen into sin. He preserved her from that, and therefore they teach that Jesus saved her from her sins no less than He saves us from ours.

If all that isn't enough for you, they teach the perpetual virginity of Mary--even after she gave birth to Christ, she never "knew" Joseph. And they teach that when she died, her body was taken directly into heaven (that is called the Assumption of Mary). Finally, all of these teachings are dogma (I may be wrong about the assumption be dogma, but I think it is, too), and since the RCC says you cannot deny dogma and be saved, I'll let you draw the obvious implication.

edit2:

I am not Catholic.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac3510 wrote:I am not Catholic.
Really? :shock:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Kurieuo wrote:
Of course not. I'm catholic. :twisted:

In other news, do keep in your prayers every once in a while. This is looking to be another busy year (I do this to myself, I know). At the top of the agenda is finishing my ordination in the Christian and Missionary Alliance as well as brushing up on my algebra, trig, calculus 1 & 2, and linear algebra (and by "brushing up" I mean "learning") so that I can get into this MS in Statistics.

*sigh* I think I need to go reread Proverbs.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Kurieuo wrote:
:pound:

I love you guys!
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

IceMobster wrote:Should I claim to be a Catholic if I do not see reason or believe in certain teachings presented by the Catholic Church?
Such as the Pope's infallibility(!), Mary being sinless before she conceived,... (can't remember atm for any else)
What do you think?
This is an interesting question to me personally. I`m looking into Catholicism (as some of you may be aware :mrgreen: ) and I wondered the same thing, though different things are sticky points for me.

Why do you want to claim to be Catholic? Personally I wouldn`t claim to be a Catholic unless I was one. To be one, again personally, I need to understand what the church represents, I need to agree with what she thinks and feels about things. I couldn`t say I was a Catholic unless I was 100% sure. An example.... in the Apostles Creed, there is a line that states I believe in the holy catholic church. I never, ever used to recite that bit because it felt hypocritical, how could I say that when I`m not even sure what the Catholic church is? A dear friend of mine (who is Catholic) pointed out that, in this instance, it is meant as universal. Catholic means universal.

All the things that drew me to Catholicism still draw me into it but I wouldn`t claim to be anywhere near being a Catholic. There is still too much to find out about it. Personally, I will never claim to be Catholic untill/unless I understand the dogma and doctrine and believe in the Catholic Church.
I appreciate there may be things that I may not be 100% sure of (praying to the Saints is one) but I suppose it comes down to how important to Catholicism whatever it is.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

There are different types of Catholics by the way.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

PaulSacramento wrote:There are different types of Catholics by the way.

Yeah. Good ones and non practicing ones :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

I don't think it necessary to align ourselves with denominations
We don't have to believe in the Catholic Church, or the dogmas of any Church. Lutheran, Baptists, Pentecostal, Protestant or whatevs
I personally think it stands as a hindrance to the Gospel when we have to 'choose' which 'church' represents Christ.
Thats Religion not Jesus
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

melanie wrote:I don't think it necessary to align ourselves with denominations
We don't have to believe in the Catholic Church, or the dogmas of any Church. Lutheran, Baptists, Pentecostal, Protestant or whatevs
I personally think it stands as a hindrance to the Gospel when we have to 'choose' which 'church' represents Christ.
Thats Religion not Jesus

Absolutely agree mel, but, (there is always a but, isn`t there?) I think religion can offer a sense of structure, of physical belonging, of security.

Personally I am exploring Catholicism because so far, what I have investigated rings true for me. Sure there are bits that I`m not sure about but they just provide a basis to explore.
Will I ever state I am a Catholic? Haven`t a clue and I am happy just to declare I am a Christian. I don`t necessarily need to conform to any particular religion but I may choose to. One thing I am sure of though is that if I do identify to any religion, it will be because I believe in what it represents.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Storyteller wrote:
Thats Religion not Jesus

Absolutely agree mel, but, (there is always a but, isn`t there?) I think religion can offer a sense of structure, of physical belonging, of security.

Personally I am exploring Catholicism because so far, what I have investigated rings true for me. Sure there are bits that I`m not sure about but they just provide a basis to explore.
Will I ever state I am a Catholic? Haven`t a clue and I am happy just to declare I am a Christian. I don`t necessarily need to conform to any particular religion but I may choose to. One thing I am sure of though is that if I do identify to any religion, it will be because I believe in what it represents.
ST said
BUT what if Jesus can offer a sense of structure,of belonging which is the 'body of Christ', of security without the need to conform to a man made structure of religion which attempts to act as bridge way to truth but what if the truth is so awesome and so perfect as it is we don't need another agency to bring us closer to Him because we all need is within ourselves and in each other.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

melanie wrote:
Storyteller wrote:
Thats Religion not Jesus

ST said
BUT what if Jesus can offer a sense of structure,of belonging which is the 'body of Christ', of security without the need to conform to a man made structure of religion which attempts to act as bridge way to truth but what if the truth is so awesome and so perfect as it is we don't need another agency to bring us closer to Him because we all need is within ourselves and in each other.
I think Christ does offer that mel, and more but there is still this nagging feeling. I don`t know, if I`m honest. Sometimes I think I don`t need, or want a church, a religion to follow, Christ is enough. I suppose religion, or church, or both offer something though. Maybe the fact I have yet to find a physical church says something about how I feel about church.

I`m not saying organised religion is needed, or even necessarily a good thing, it`s just, I don`t know, it`s how I have always seen faith. If you have faith, if you believe, then church would be part of your life.
I am happy and secure in my love for Christ, I am guided by the Holy Spirit, He brought me this far, I trust if church or religion is to be aprt of my journey into the heart of God then it will pass.

I have always, always been wary of religion, in fact, it was one of, if not the thing that put me off coming to Christ. I am not a social person. Sure, online I am but real life? Nope. Me, my family, my pets, my books and love for God is all I need. I am close to God, to Christ. I have a real, loving relationship with Him. I pray, I worship, I share my faith. I try and imitate Christ. I have never found anything advocating religion in the Bible. Gathering together in the name of Christ, yes. That`s what we do here.

Who knows? Maybe I`ll never conform to a particular religion but I won`t discount it.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

As you shouldn't, we all walk different paths.
Some of the most beautiful Christians I've known have been through church and some of the most hypocritical have been in church.
But I have had a different experience to you.
I was brought up within the church.
I went through Catholic schooling, was batisted Lutheran, went to a Presbyterian Sunday school and youth group, visited regularly Penetcostal churches with my Nan, then when I was older continued in a baptist church and I found at the end, I really love God but I don't like religion.
My critisism is across the board.
God is best found within not externally.
Once upon a time I don't think this was the case, but everything has deteriorated from its original
Glory, man and church included.
I watched and observed very closely over the years and I strongly believe the revelation of Christ lives within us.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

melanie wrote:As you shouldn't, we all walk different paths.
Some of the most beautiful Christians I've known have been through church and some of the most hypocritical have been in church.
I went through Catholic schooling, was batisted Lutheran, went to a Presbyterian Sunday school and youth group, visited regularly Penetcostal churches with my Nan, then when I was older continued in a baptist church and I found at the end, I really love God but I don't like religion.
Once upon a time I don't think this was the case, but everything has deteriorated from its original
I watched and observed very closely over the years and I strongly believe the revelation of Christ lives within us.
mel, I am stunned.

In a good way.

Will respond later, but you have somehow revealed something to me, I am crying tears of joy, I need to figure out why xoxox
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

melanie wrote:As you shouldn't, we all walk different paths.
Mel, just curious...

Does the last sentence apply to everyone,or just believers?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony