a really stupid thought getting in the way of my faith...

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member
Christian: No

a really stupid thought getting in the way of my faith...

Post by SUGAAAAA »

I, for whatever reason, have this stupid idea that everything in is your mind, your mind playing tricks on you... like people who say God speaks to them, people having Revalations, or 'visions', and feeling God's presence, this stupid doubt comes into my mind... its really annoying.

Does anyone know something that will let me know that its not really just your mind playing tricks on you?
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

That is not a stupid idea, it is an entirely legitimate concern. We must distinguish between communication from God, and our own imagination.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Re: a really stupid thought getting in the way of my faith..

Post by Believer »

SUGAAAAA wrote:I, for whatever reason, have this stupid idea that everything in is your mind, your mind playing tricks on you... like people who say God speaks to them, people having Revalations, or 'visions', and feeling God's presence, this stupid doubt comes into my mind... its really annoying.

Does anyone know something that will let me know that its not really just your mind playing tricks on you?
I will tell you something when I started to come to grips with my faith. At the beginning I thought the same thing as you provided above. I thought everything was a mind trick. I thought all was fake, but then I soon realized it wasn't. A lot of things CAN be your mind, but then it comes down on how to distinguish from what is real and what is not. For instance, I was watching the Passion of the Christ when during the crucifixion scene, a voice came into my blank mind and said "See what I have done for you?". I personally don't believe that to be a mind trick. I have had other instances as well that were not in my mind. Doubt WILL come as you will want to question the validity of it, but don't lean on your own understanding as God instructs His people :wink:.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

well, if something ever happens to me, I hope im able to know its really an act from God and not my mind... but, this still doesnt explain stuff like Receiving the Holy Spirit, and speaking in tounges, but I just cant get it through my head...
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

SUGAAAAA wrote:well, if something ever happens to me, I hope im able to know its really an act from God and not my mind... but, this still doesnt explain stuff like Receiving the Holy Spirit, and speaking in tounges, but I just cant get it through my head...
The guy on the cross next to Jesus did nothing in his life up until his final moments with Christ by his side, in which he asked for Him to remember him (not sure of the verse), but despite that, he was saved because he put faith into Christ at that last moment. If you don't speak in tounges, don't worry about it, it's just one of the many gifts. Just ask Jesus into your life and believe as the Bible instructs. You will probably not notice anything at first, like you wont feel anything, but you have assurance you are saved. It is a PROCESS, not instant, something I personally have problems with :wink:.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

I see...

Yeah, I've been worried because ever since I put my faith in Christ, I havent really felt anything, such as assurance from God that he's watching over me, I guess I need to realize these things take time....
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

SUGAAAAA wrote:I see...

Yeah, I've been worried because ever since I put my faith in Christ, I havent really felt anything, such as assurance from God that he's watching over me, I guess I need to realize these things take time....
Sugaa please don't think your alone in this because your not.
There are times I feel empty, but I remember God asks that we put our trust in him. So I must trust that my god is not a lair, and that he will never leave me truly alone. I remember how it felt to KNOW that in some form he was with me, and I plead to feel that again. but then I remember that we are asked to trust him. Does that make any sence?

I have another problem too, I know that only by grace of God are we saved and I feel guilty because I don't deserve it.
Church tradition tells us that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”
After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”