Political Predictions 2016

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Political Predictions 2016

Post by edwardmurphy »

Jac3510 wrote:Lastly, there's a belief in White America, particularly in conservative White America (call it flyover country or Bubbaville or redneck town or whatever you like) that BLM is directly responsible for the shootings in Dallas and for the increase in hostility against the police more generally.
"BLM" really should have been "BLM, too." That's basically the message they're trying to get across, but omitting the "too" made it far too easy for the conservative media to deliberately miss the point.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

I agree and disagree. There is certainly a segment of the conservative media that wants to frame BLM as stated as inherently racist (and so Giuliani's recent comments to that effect). So that much is certainly true. But in my reading of the conservative media, much more hay has alwys been made of the anti-police rhetoric that comes out of BLM. And that's not surprising. Conservatives tend to pride themselves on being law-and-order folk. So chants like, "What do we want? Dead cops! When do we wan it? Now!" get a lot of traction. That's also why the conservative reaction to police shootings of black men has been to point out the crimes they were committing when it happened, the underlying idea being, "See, they deserved it/brought it on themselves!"

Now, there's a lot I agree with and a lot I disagree with in that latter assessment. But I think it really is the deeper issue, at least on the right side of the aisle. It's also the cause of completely missing the point, maybe on both sides and of both sides.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Jac3510 wrote:Ah, and looks like the Pence announcement will be coming tomorrow night.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/pre ... gn-indiana
Interesting. You could be right about Pence,but I don't see how he'd know how to deal with Congress to get things done. We'll see.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

He spent twelve years in House as a representative of Indiana, which included several years as the Republican Conference Chairman, the third highest Republican leadership position. He is highly respected by both House and Senate members as well as with higher ups in the RNC. In other words, he is very well positioned to help Trump if he wants to work with Congress on issues. He is, in fact, by far the most qualified of all potential VP candidates in that regard (even better than Newt Gingrich, actually). If that is Trump's primary consideration, then Pence is the best choice hands down.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

You people still don't get it!!!
My son Ted and his family spent six months in prayer seeking God's will for this decision. [...] It was a Sunday. We were all at his church, First Baptist Church in Houston, including his senior staff. After the church service, we all gathered at the pastor's office. We were on our knees for two hours seeking God's will. At the end of that time, a word came through his wife, Heidi. And the word came, just saying, "Seek God's face, not God's hand." And I'll tell you, it was as if there was a cloud of the holy spirit filling that place. Some of us were weeping, and Ted just looked up and said, "Lord, here am I, use me. I surrender to you, whatever you want."
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Rick, that was BEFORE Cruz lied about Carson. You see, we must ask ourselves, Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the Lord? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams. For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and arrogance like the evil of idolatry. Because Cruz rejected the word of the Lord, He has rejected him as POTUS. Indeed, the Lord tore the presidency of America from Cruz that and has given it to one of his rivals—to one better than him, and He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change His mind; for He is not a human being, that He should change his mind.

Hope that clears it up for you, Rickybobby.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

edwardmurphy wrote: "BLM" really should have been "BLM, too." That's basically the message they're trying to get across, but omitting the "too" made it far too easy for the conservative media to deliberately miss the point.
They could revitalize the group if their reputation gets even muddier to, as you suggested, BLM2. 'Black Lives Matter 2'. It would convey your point, show that the group has changed or "upgraded", and using keyboard keys for words is quite popular among the youths of today.

fakeedit: Black Lives Matter 2 sounds like a movie title now that I see it on my screen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:Rick, that was BEFORE Cruz lied about Carson. You see, we must ask ourselves, Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the Lord? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams. For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and arrogance like the evil of idolatry. Because Cruz rejected the word of the Lord, He has rejected him as POTUS. Indeed, the Lord tore the presidency of America from Cruz that and has given it to one of his rivals—to one better than him, and He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change His mind; for He is not a human being, that He should change his mind.

Hope that clears it up for you, Rickybobby.
That's deep Jac. I don't even know how to respond to that. I guess all I can do is this:

24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Can we stone the prophet whose words about Cruz didn't come to light?
How many do they lead astray pretending to speak on behalf of God...
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Kurieuo wrote:Can we stone the prophet whose words about Cruz didn't come to light?
Legally? Only in Colorado.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Can we stone the prophet whose words about Cruz didn't come to light?
Legally? Only in Colorado.
Stoned...Colorado...

Aha you so funny! :pound:

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:Ah, and looks like the Pence announcement will be coming tomorrow night.

Interesting. You could be right about Pence,but I don't see how he'd know how to deal with Congress to get things done. We'll see.
Apparently Trump has decided. Tomorrow morning at 11:00am he's supposed to announce Pence as VP.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/poli ... /87075866/
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Jac3510 wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:

Apparently Trump has decided. Tomorrow morning at 11:00am he's supposed to announce Pence as VP.

Yeah I heard. Looks like you are probably right.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Jac3510 wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:

Yeah I heard. Looks like you are probably right.

crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by crochet1949 »

Pence is pretty much an 'unknown' isn't he?

And there are those who will vote for Hilary simply because they want a woman in the Presidency.

This election is going to be one of the odder ones' in our history. Next to the Previous one - that is.