Support Gay Marriage Cakes

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Support Gay Marriage Cakes

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Kurieuo wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Question D220. If a "legalistic" Christian went into a cake shop, and ordered a cake with the message "Say NO to Gay Marriage". The baker just attended her daughter's ceremony where she vowed her love for another woman, and so the baker is really passionate about having laws passed that allow for and recognise "gay marriage". Should the baker make the cake for this Christian fellow?

If it was me, yes I would make it, but I would let them know that I don't support their idea and offer them a different perspective.
So I'm clear though, you would reject making a cake that supported ISIS killing gay people?
Making such a cake would be illegal, as it is hate speech.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
I disagree, it is discrimination, which is illegal.
Oh really? Show me which US anti-discrimination law is being violated.

Gotcha!

Check and mate!
I don't live in the US! The world doesn't revolve around Americans, you are not the centre of all happenings in the world. :pound:
Sorry Daniel,

That's a cop out. The issue happened in the US. We are talking about US laws. Don't avoid the issue. What discrimination laws were violated?

Actually this is not isolated to the US, similar situations have happened around the world. You are the master of the low blow. :poke:
Low blow? Not me. You're the one siding with homosexuality. :mrgreen:

And just as I thought. You said it was wrong because it was discrimination. Yet you can't cite any anti-discrimination laws that were violated.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Question D220. If a "legalistic" Christian went into a cake shop, and ordered a cake with the message "Say NO to Gay Marriage". The baker just attended her daughter's ceremony where she vowed her love for another woman, and so the baker is really passionate about having laws passed that allow for and recognise "gay marriage". Should the baker make the cake for this Christian fellow?

If it was me, yes I would make it, but I would let them know that I don't support their idea and offer them a different perspective.
So I'm clear though, you would reject making a cake that supported ISIS killing gay people?
Only is some countries. Honour killings are also allowed in Pakistan.
But, be honest with me. Law or no law, you'd not make it would you?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

Illegal where? Certainly not in countries with sharia law! Daniel, just because it may be illegal in Aussie land, that doesn't mean the world revolves around Australia. You Aussies have an inflated sense of importance regarding your country.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Kurieuo wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

You cannot compares these situations, you talking about two consenting adults vs killing people, so whether I do or do not bake in the second situation is not relevant to the topic.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

Illegal where? Certainly not in countries with sharia law! Daniel, just because it may be illegal in Aussie land, that doesn't mean the world revolves around Australia. You Aussies have an inflated sense of importance regarding your country.

I am talking about international law! Stop being so small minded. :pillows:
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

You cannot compares these situations, you talking about two consenting adults vs killing people, so whether I do or do not bake in the second situation is not relevant to the topic.
Not true. What I'm setting out to show, is if you are truly convicted that such is morally wrong, then it isn't "just a message". It shows that while you may not think "gay marriage" is that big a deal, that you do believe other moral issues that do prick your conscience are a big enough deal to make a stance on.

Now if you didn't bake the cake, and then that person took you to court for discriminating against them, and you lost... I'd say you're actually the one, your beliefs, are being discriminated against -- because it is you that is being forced to deny them or else face the consequences.

Furthermore, I wouldn't say the logical conclusion of you refusing to bake any such cake, necessarily makes you a legalistic. I mean seriously, how would it make you legalistic? I don't get the logic. Yes, it's slippery slope logic you're following, but it is a slippery slope fallacy as I see it.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Kurieuo wrote: Not true. What I'm setting out to show, is if you are truly convicted that such is morally wrong, then it isn't "just a message". It shows that while you may not think "gay marriage" is that big a deal, that you do believe other moral issues that do prick your conscience are a big enough deal to make a stance on.

Now if you didn't bake the cake, and then that person took you to court for discriminating against them, and you lost... I'd say you're actually the one, your beliefs, are being discriminated against -- because it is you that is being forced to deny them or else face the consequences.

Furthermore, I wouldn't say the logical conclusion of you refusing to bake any such cake, necessarily makes you a legalistic. I mean seriously, how would it make you legalistic? I don't get the logic. Yes, it's slippery slope logic you're following, but it is a slippery slope fallacy as I see it.
Well I see it totally opposite and I believe you are on the proverbial slippery slope, but I think we have both stated our cases the best we can, so I think we can stop here. yp**==

I might go eat some delicious gay wedding cake :fruitcake:
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Ok D220, good to have you back though we don't agree here. y>:D<
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

daniel wrote:

Sounds like a euphemism. But, to each his own...I guess.

-Edward R Murrow

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Kurieuo wrote:Ok D220, good to have you back though we don't agree here. y>:D<
I can't remember who said it (Possibly Augustine or maybe Francis of Assisi??) but they said something along the lines of, disagreement should be viewed as a blessing in the church. What I think they meant by that is that humans are beings of extremes and it is hard for us to find the middle ground, so the blessing is that while we are at opposite ends of the spectrum we can hopefully balance each other out. y@};-
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
daniel wrote:

I have high functioning autism coupled with personality type 5 on the enneagram test, I rarely beat around the bush like that. :mrgreen:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
daniel wrote:

I have high functioning autism coupled with personality type 5 on the enneagram test, I rarely beat around the bush like that. :mrgreen:
I didn't know you had autism. Now I feel bad for teasing you. I can understand now, why you have issues with the way people talk to you. You can't deal with it the same way that someone without autism deals with things. I think I'll stop teasing you now. Is that ok, Rain man?
:mrgreen:

-Edward R Murrow

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
daniel wrote:

I didn't know you had autism. Now I feel bad for teasing you. I can understand now, why you have issues with the way people talk to you. You can't deal with it the same way that someone without autism deals with things. I think I'll stop teasing you now. Is that ok, Rain man?
:mrgreen:
We all are on the autism spectrum, I am just in a different area to you, I am more towards the Asperger range, so don't feel bad unless you are going to feel bad for yourself also.

It is not a disease or a disorder, it is just a personality type and it runs in the family, my Dad and my eldest Son are the same, the younger two we don't know yet, but we suspect the youngest may be and the middle is probably not.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I think the gay movement is fighting a made-up Christian boogie man forcing their gay marriages and immorality against the will of the people using the courts to do it thinking that Christians want to force them to obey God just because we think its a sin but I don't think Christians want to do that. Do we really want witch trials,etc like in the past? Weren't they wrong? It is not so much gay marriages but how it is being forced onto us illegally that is the problem. I actually would have less of a problem with it if the people actually chose gay marriages legally,but this did not happen and so the problem remains. In America it is supposed to be "We the people" instead of "We the government"
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.