Eternal Security...(Revised May 2015)

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Eternal Security...(Revised May 2015)

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:Here is the solution to your problem you are having.

Stop picking up small peace of truth like when someone says "the bible says everlasting life so that must mean you can not backslide" or when someone pulls out one scripture and base there whole doctoren on that one verse", that is called tacking thing out of context.

If you stop doing that and start using the whole bible, then you will change your belief. The bible says you are not to add to or take from the bible you are to take it all as it is and that was what I did in my post.

if the post is wrong tell me where it is wrong. Don't just make some off the wall comment that isn't here nor there. If you do not see any thing wrong in the comment then let it be.
Your spelling is atrocious. That's the most obvious thing wrong with your posts. :lol:

And FYI, I haven't heard anyone who believes in OSAS, say that a Christian can't backslide. You just read into the text, that "backslide" means "lose eternal life".
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Yes, RickD backslides all the time, so thankfully it doesn't mean losing eternal life. :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:Yes, RickD backslides all the time, so thankfully it doesn't mean losing eternal life. :P
I'm not backsliding, it's the moonwalk. ;)
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Yes, RickD backslides all the time, so thankfully it doesn't mean losing eternal life. :P
Michael Jackson had nothing on you. :ebiggrin:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
RickD wrote:
Michael Jackson had nothing on you. :ebiggrin:
I think it's Human Nature to be Bad. K, The Way You Make Me Feel is not Black or White. If You Wanna Be Startin Something, first you better take a look at the Man in The Mirror.

-Edward R Murrow

BigHamster
Recognized Member

Post by BigHamster »

Please grab some bread & wine and take a seat for......

Today's Sermon:

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

BigHamster wrote:Please grab some bread & wine and take a seat for......

Today's Sermon:

Too long. ADD version please. :D

-Edward R Murrow

BigHamster
Recognized Member

Post by BigHamster »

RickD wrote:
BigHamster wrote:Please grab some bread & wine and take a seat for......

Today's Sermon:

Too long. ADD version please. :D

Lazy bones.....you're goin' to hell. (just kidding) :lol:

The guy basically repeated this entire thread (the video *is* the short version)
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

The guy in that video was taking things way out of context.

The bible was say that Jesus die once for the sins of the whole world. that verse was not saying that once you are saved that you could live like the devil and go to heaven. It was saying that Jesus died for the sins of the people that live at the beginning of time and for the people that lived at the time He was crucified and for the people that would come after He was crucified. You have to stay in context. it was not referring to keeping your salvation

I could make the bible say almost any thing I wonted it to say doing what he did.

You can not say that just because the bible uses the word everlasting life or eternal life that it means you can't lose it.

You have to look at the whole context of the verse.

I also like that guys favorite verse.

Joh 3:36  He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

unlike the guy in the video I do not go straight to the word everlasting life and say see I can not lose my salvation because it is everlasting.

What I do is I take the whole context of the verse and under stand that if I believe in Jesus than I have everlasting life and if I do not believe than I do not have everlasting life.

The guy in the video didn't say any thing about people who do not believe that was half of the verse he was using.

When you use the whole verse not just one word or just half of it then you will see that if someone believes on Jesus then they have everlasting life. Then a week later if that person thinks back at his belief in God and thinks you know what that is really some silly stuff there can not be a God that's hog wash. Then according to that verse he dose not have everlasting life, because he believeth not on the Son.

How can this be so? well first it is not that he didn't believe in the first place. it is because the word believeth is being use as a present tense meaning of the word believe not past or future,

"believeth (archaic third-person singular simple present indicative form of believe)"

where osas people get it wrong is everyone that believeth that you can lose your salvation doesn't believe that you have to do any thing at all to keep it. Some of us believe that we are doing right not of our on works but it is God working through us because we are saved, and if God is not working through us we need to go make sure thing are right with us and God.

That is what I believe it is what God is doing though me not what I am do of my self.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jpbg wrote:

where osas people get it wrong is everyone that believeth that you can lose your salvation doesn't believe that you have to do any thing at all to keep it. Some of us believe that we are doing right not of our on works but it is God working through us because we are saved, and if God is not working through us we need to go make sure thing are right with us and God.
Ah, so you're not doing right of your own works, and it is God working through you. With that logic, if you lose salvation, it's because God failed to work through you, either because God failed, or because you failed to do something to keep your salvation. I hope you see how absurd that is.

-Edward R Murrow

BigHamster
Recognized Member

Post by BigHamster »

There a almost 2000 comments just under one youtube OSAS video (and I thought this thread was getting biblically long).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMpp6LTC4Qs

What I'm getting from the refuters of OSAS (eternal security) is that they either (i) have an inherent fear of missing out on being saved or (ii) have a fear of losing their salvation (if they ever had in the first place). The fear seems to come from uncertainty in the interpretation of the bible's teachings. This also drives their doctrinal belief that one must keep doing works and not sinning to gain and to maintain eternal life.

On a more practical level, I've met all sorts of Christians along the way. I know quite a few who know they are saved...there is no such fear - no uncertainty - no such belief of losing salvation - only contentedness - only enthusiasm.
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

RickD You are reading in to my comments as bad as you are reading in to the bible.

First it is God working in us. We can not do it through our on strength. Our righteousness is as filthy rags. So if you are living right to be saved than you are not really saved, but if you are living right because God is working through you then you are saved and the bible says that is how you know you are saved.

Second I could say the same thing to you. I could say you are saying it takes works on your part to be saved, because you say you have to believe in Jesus to be saved. So you must believe it is your works that gets you saved, but the bible says we are not saved by works. So I guess the bible is wrong and it is not a free gift,because you have to do something to get it.

The only way it could be completely undoubtedly with out works of any kind at all would be if Jesus died on the cross and know mater if you believed or not and know mater how you live than you are saved and on your way to heaven.

We both know that, that is not the way it is. But the bible say we are not saved by works how then are we saved.

Lets see maybe God is not considering you believing or not believing as works.

That is why I believe if you believe in God then you will live right not of your self but it is God working through you because you believe and that is how you know you are saved, but if you do not believe then you will not be living right because you can not live right in and of your self. If you try you will always fell and what good you think you have done are just filth rags to God.

you can not just pull out words or verses from the bible and come up with real faith you have to use the whole word of God.

I see where the bible say that he that believeth in Jesus is saved, I see where it says I am not saved by works and I also see where it says I will live right if I am really saved and I see that it is not what I am doing but what God is doing through me.

BigHamster you are just wrong. The bible says to make your election sure.

2Pe_1:10  Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

before you say it is talking about pritchers the bible says we are all called.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

"For by Grace you are saved through faith -- not of works lest any person would have anything to boast about." --- Jesus Christ did all that was necessary by dying for us and rising again after 3 days from the dead. It was a Gift of God -- but a gift is only 'yours' if / when the individual person Chooses to Accept the gift. And there is Nothing any individual can do to help their salvation be 'complete'. If there Was something We could do -- then That would be putting Us on the same level as God.

Before a person accepts Jesus Christ as their personal Savior -- No works are useful. AFTER our salvation -Because the Holy Spirit is indwelling the person - we'll Want to do 'good works' FOR God. He will give us the desire TO. But it is NOT intended to insure our salvation. But To point others To Jesus Christ.
And our 'good works' Might be in the form of 'you Used to drink and smoke like the rest of 'us' but Now you don't. What gives -- And Then you Can share what Christ has done in Your life so that you don't Want to drink and smoke like the others in the 'group'. You'll risk getting kicked out of the group or worse -- but you Will be taking a 'stand' for Godliness. And you will have a clear conscience. Or they Might just Listen.
It is the inner belief in your heart that takes place = salvation. The Holy Spirit makes Himself known to you -- you either accept or reject. And it's not necessarily a one time thing / feeling the conviction of the Holy Spirit. I felt convicted on several occasions before I yielded to Christ. For a long time I had a great Head knowledge of God / salvation. I could probably have led someone to Christ -- but then circumstances led me to realize that a Heart acceptance was necessary. So -- with my heart I accepted -- and That was the Key. And after That I felt the need to be Rebaptized cause I realized that I hadn't been a believer the 1st time -- and That was Also a Good step. It was done in the proper order. Salvation First and then the Outward visible action that others Could see.
NO One needs to live in fear of whether they are saved or not. Take a moment To talk with God and Make sure. Satan is in the entity that wants people to Be confused. The more a person lives in Doubt -- the less effective they will be. And That is what satan wants -- non-effective people.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jpbg,

I'm seeing some inconsistencies in your theology. If you don't mind, I'd like to show you by asking you some questions, and see what you say.

First, according to your theology, what must one do to be saved/receive eternal life?

-Edward R Murrow

jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

Rom_10:9  That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

crochet1949 I like what you said mostly like 99%

but the bible say that us doing right is how we know we are saved it is not how we are saved but how we know we are saved.

1Jn 2:3  And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. 

Not only is it how we know we are saved but it is how we show others we are saved.

Jas 2:18  Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.