Eternal Security...(Revised May 2015)

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Eternal Security...(Revised May 2015)

Post by Philip »

:beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat:

:pillows: :pillows: :pillows: :pillows: :pillows: :pillows: :pillows: :pillows: :pillows: :pillows: :pillows: :pillows:

:duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel:

Really, how many dead horses can we beat here???!!! At the end of the day - rather, of one's life - they either have faith in Christ or they do not. End of story! God knows ALL. We can't. There is a reality to this. WE can either believe what Scripture says about it, or we can read all kinds of meanings into it that it NEVER definitively says. And that should be a huge question mark for those asserting certain things. Works don't save. Work's can't ALWAYS be seen. One who APPEARS to be a Christ but later appears to have abandoned God - do we know the truth of either A) whether he was EVER saved, or B) if he's merely had a crisis of doubt, yet in which he still has faith. God judges based upon FAITH that, at death, one either has or does not. This endless debate - really, unless someone has something NEW to add that hasn't been redundantly discussed, I truly do not see the further point!
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

Amen and AMEN
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:
Really, how many dead horses can we beat here???!!! At the end of the day - rather, of one's life - they either have faith in Christ or they do not.
So, you're against osas and the eternal security of a believer.

You agree with Jpbg, that it only matters if one believes at the moment of death.

:shock:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

You agree with Jpbg, that it only matters if one believes at the moment of death.

Really???!!!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:

Really???!!!
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. You did say that at the end of one's life, they either have faith in Christ or they do not.

And that's what Jpbg believes. It doesn't matter if one believed in Christ before. It only matters if they believe at the very moment they die.
:razzing:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. You did say that at the end of one's life, they either have faith in Christ or they do not.

And that's what Jpbg believes. It doesn't matter if one believed in Christ before. It only matters if they believe at the very moment they die.
:razzing:
Anyone reading my posts on this knows better.

How about, BY the end of ones life, at SOME point, they either had developed faith, or they had not. NOT: They might have had it, then they didn't, then, they got it again, but - oops - they happened to die in one of their many periods of having no faith - pity. Or, they got lucky and had faith during their dying breath. That's Jpbg. His trick: You must die at the right time, during a period in which have faith - as that faith might go away.

Again, one more redundancy!
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Philip wrote:At the end of the day - rather, of one's life - they've either had faith in Christ or they've not.
There, Phil. FTFY. Now you have a true statement with only minimal edits to your original phrasing.

You're welcome. ;)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
bbyrd009
BANNED
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by bbyrd009 »

as long as your faith consists of your beliefs, you are doomed, ok? satan also believes, and trembles.
Find out what "Love believes all things" means.

and "faith without works is dead," of course; you must have works, don't let anyone kid you there.
"Creation is continuous, and never stops."
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

jpbg33 wrote:Yes and my works prove to everyone and me my self that I am indeed saved.
Not quite...

The fruit that one is saved is found in Hebrews 12:7 8.

By this, we know we are his and belong to him.

During a bible study this question came up: how do we know if we are saved?

The answers varied, like they do hear on this forum. By our works, deeds, spiritual disciplines, etc and etc.

One person was really troubled. He was born again several years ago but became more confused by all the comments. Then the group asked me.

My response was this: "I know for a fact that I am saved because I have been to God's woodshed enough times to know he will never let me go... how about you?"

With this, he laughed and became relieved as did the group.

Jpbg33, have you been to God's woodshed - chastened by the Lord?

That is the only way to honestly know. If chastened by the Lord, did he let you get away with sin - No.

Also and likewise the Lord will chasten one if he or she walks away from him as well and in this process they will return to him later on and are saved to the uttermost.

Those who never are chastened, Heb 12:8, were never his and if such denied faith; then, they were never saved to begin with. Only two kinds of people in God's eyes: Children of Wrath and his own adopted Children whom he disciplines.

Jpbg33 you are not stronger than God and neither is your concept of God's love superior to God's love.

Hebrews 12:8 tells us how we know who are is and who is not.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
bbyrd009
BANNED

Post by bbyrd009 »

But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved.

ergo, wadr, anyone assuring you of your salvation is not telling the truth.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

bbyrd009 wrote:But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved.

You just ripped Matthew 24:13 out of its context, and assumed sōzō refers to eternal salvation, with absolutely no warrant.

And then called believers liars, if they don't hold to you're cherry picked verse.
:shakehead:

-Edward R Murrow

bbyrd009
BANNED

Post by bbyrd009 »

RickD wrote:

You just ripped Matthew 24:13 out of its context, and assumed sōzō refers to eternal salvation, with absolutely no warrant.

And then called believers liars, if they don't hold to you're cherry picked verse.
hmm, probably. the verse never needed context in my mind, and reading the surrounding vv did not seem to provide any, any additional, at least. So, could you show me how i have cherry picked here, or twisted the context? (i've used this for years, and you are the first person to raise this objection; which i find compelling :))
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

bbyrd009 wrote:
RickD wrote:

You just ripped <a class="rtBibleRef" href="http://biblia.com/bible/nasb95/Matt%2024.13" data-reference="Matt 24.13" data-version="nasb95" data-purpose="bible-reference" target="_blank">Matthew 24:13</a> out of its context, and assumed sōzō refers to eternal salvation, with absolutely no warrant.

hmm, probably. the verse never needed context in my mind, and reading the surrounding vv did not seem to provide any, any additional, at least. So, could you show me how i have cherry picked here, or twisted the context? (i've used this for years, and you are the first person to raise this objection; which i find compelling :))[/quote
Are you open to doing just a bit of reading? If so, check out the following two papers. It answers the question you are asking Rick and puts its importance in a much larger context you may find helpful and interesting:

https://faithalone.org/journal/2002i/anderson.pdf
https://faithalone.org/journal/2002ii/anderson.pdf
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
bbyrd009
BANNED

Post by bbyrd009 »

RickD wrote:

also, i know many, many believers who would not presume to tell people if they are lost or saved, wadr--not saying that you cannot, of course, or even that you should not.
bbyrd009
BANNED

Post by bbyrd009 »

Jac3510 wrote:
bbyrd009 wrote:
RickD wrote:

You just ripped <a class="rtBibleRef" href="http://biblia.com/bible/nasb95/Matt%2024.13" data-reference="Matt 24.13" data-version="nasb95" data-purpose="bible-reference" target="_blank">Matthew 24:13</a> out of its context, and assumed sōzō refers to eternal salvation, with absolutely no warrant.

hmm, probably. the verse never needed context in my mind, and reading the surrounding vv did not seem to provide any, any additional, at least. So, could you show me how i have cherry picked here, or twisted the context? (i've used this for years, and you are the first person to raise this objection; which i find compelling :))[/quote
Are you open to doing just a bit of reading? If so, check out the following two papers. It answers the question you are asking Rick and puts its importance in a much larger context you may find helpful and interesting:

https://faithalone.org/journal/2002i/anderson.pdf
https://faithalone.org/journal/2002ii/anderson.pdf
sure, i'll check them out, but i am suspicious of any argument not made from the Book. We'll see.