Understanding the Trinity

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Understanding the Trinity

Post by jenna »

crochet1949 wrote:Are ya'll trying to form some sort of "human trinity" now?! We're supposed to try to figure You guys out since we're not making much headway with the Biblical one? Just wonderin' :)
yes, we are 3 in 1. too bad we just cant agree on just what that 1 is. 3 in 1 forum maybe? :roll:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

jenna wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:Are ya'll trying to form some sort of "human trinity" now?! We're supposed to try to figure You guys out since we're not making much headway with the Biblical one? Just wonderin' :)
yes, we are 3 in 1. too bad we just cant agree on just what that 1 is. 3 in 1 forum maybe? :roll:

Recently it's been between Jac, Phillip and RickD. /the human 3-some/ and you've gotten in it a bit, too. ;)
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

crochet1949 wrote:
jenna wrote:

Recently it's been between Jac, Phillip and RickD. /the human 3-some/ and you've gotten in it a bit, too. ;)
um, lets not go there, hahaha. y/:]
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Jenna -- maybe I can ask you what your understanding of the Holy Spirit is?! Since it Is part of the trinity / Godhead.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Post by Jac3510 »

crochet1949 wrote:Jenna -- maybe I can ask you what your understanding of the Holy Spirit is?! Since it Is part of the trinity / Godhead.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Jac3510 wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:Jenna -- maybe I can ask you what your understanding of the Holy Spirit is?! Since it Is part of the trinity / Godhead.
:pound:
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

well, since you asked. NOT GOING TO GET INTO A LONG DRAWN OUT DISCUSSION. but in response, i do not believe the HS is a being/person. it is the power that comes from God.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Jenna, did you notice my post here?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Jac3510 wrote:Jenna, did you notice my post here?
jac, did you notice my post above? i was answering a question put to me. i am not getting into a long discussion.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I did, jenna. I thought you were talking about not getting into a long discussion on your belief that the HS is not a person and is merely a created thing. My post was a continuation of a conversation we were already having. But if you wish to end that conversation, that's your prerogative.

I will, then, simply sum up the remainder of the conversation to say that, without further clarification from you, it is important to note now that not only is your position polytheistic (which seems unproblematic--that's not a slam, it's just the position you are defending . . . there are multiple Gods, or two in this case, one the Father and one the Son); but now, you are actively denying the divinity of Christ. For if God cannot die by nature, and if the Son taking on a human form changes His nature so that He can die, then the nature of the Father is now different from the nature of the Son. Whereas before your polytheism at least held that two Gods with the same nature existed, now you hold that only the Father has a divine nature for the Son no longer has that nature at all. His nature was changed so that He is merely a demigod.

So now, Jesus isn't God. Which is to say, your position denies the divinity of Christ. Not a good place to be, in my opinion. And in all of that you never addressed the logical self-contradiction in your position in claiming that God(s) is/are necessary, non-contingent, and created everything (including spacetime) even while assuming that God is a material, contingent being that exists within that spacetime He supposedly created! That self-contradiction is simply a self-caused cause. Makes no sense.

No, in my own opinion, it's just better to say what we always have said. God is immaterial, necessary, simple (= without parts), and Trinitarian, such that in the unity of the Godhead there are three Persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, who are necessarly consubstantial and so coequal and coeternal.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

jenna wrote:
well, since you asked. NOT GOING TO GET INTO A LONG DRAWN OUT DISCUSSION. but in response, i do not believe the HS is a being/person. it is the power that comes from God.

God is a Spirit -- the Holy Spirit is also a Spirit / Holy "Spirit". It Does come from the Godhead. A passage in Acts 1 vs 2 "until the day in which He was taken up, after He, through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen, vs 8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you;

There is a passage that talks about the Holy Spirit being the Comforter, the convictor of sins -- I'm doing this 'off the top of my head" right now -- I'm trying to get dinner eaten and don't have access to a good concordance presently.

Matthew 28:19 20 -- The great commission -- believers are to be baptized in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit."
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

crochet1949 wrote:
jenna wrote:

God is a Spirit -- the Holy Spirit is also a Spirit / Holy "Spirit". It Does come from the Godhead. A passage in Acts 1 vs 2 "until the day in which He was taken up, after He, through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen, vs 8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you;

There is a passage that talks about the Holy Spirit being the Comforter, the convictor of sins -- I'm doing this 'off the top of my head" right now -- I'm trying to get dinner eaten and don't have access to a good concordance presently.

Matthew 28:19 20 -- The great commission -- believers are to be baptized in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit."
John 16:5-16 is another good passage.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Jesus mentions the the Holy Spirit speaks, convicts, teaches, tells of things to come, Guide one into truth, He hears... and address him as a He and not as an it...

John 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you." NASB

John 16:8-14, " "But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; 9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; :11 and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.

"12 "I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. 14 "He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you." NASB

Heb 3:7-8, "Therefore, just as the Holy Spirit says, "TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE, 8 DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS" NASB

Eze 2:1-3, "Then He said to me, "Son of man, stand on your feet that I may speak with you!" 2 As He spoke to me the Spirit entered me and set me on my feet; and I heard Him speaking to me. 3 Then He said to me, "Son of man, I am sending you to the sons of Israel, to a rebellious people who have rebelled against Me; they and their fathers have transgressed against Me to this very day." NASB

Mark 13:11 NKJV "But when they arrest you and deliver you up, do not worry beforehand, or premeditate what you will speak. But whatever is given you in that hour, speak that; for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit."

1 Corinthians 2:13, "...which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words...." NASB

1 Timothy 4:1-2, Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons,2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron...NKJV

Holy Spirits speaks in Acts 8:29, "The Spirit said to Philip, “Go and join up with that chariot." NASB

Well, Jenna a power or force cannot do these things can it?

and more too:

Verses showing identity, ministry, and personhood about the Holy Spirit from this link
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

jenna wrote:
As far as I'm aware.. the holy spirit is referred to as a He
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Of course, the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary -- that makes Him male. ;)
  • Matthew 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: when His mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child by the Holy Spirit.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)