Praying for Wrath

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Ark~Magic
Established Member

Praying for Wrath

Post by Ark~Magic »

Does the bible say it is OK to pray for God to punish someone else or anything?
"And I shall slay them who partake of futurism, for in the preterist light there will be everlasting salvation, truth, and peace." ~ Faust
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

I think the following passage gives you the answer to this question, especially the verses I have highlighted in blue.
Romans 12:
9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.
10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honour one another above yourselves.
11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervour, serving the Lord.
12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
13 Share with God's people who are in need. Practise hospitality.
14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.
16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
19 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: It is mine to avenge; I will repay, says the Lord.
20 On the contrary: If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.
21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
I think it is honest to tell God if you are upset with someone, that you may be hurt and angry and feel like doing them harm - or having God punish them in some way, or "teach them a lesson" for you - but if you are less than loving towards your neighbour, then this is also a confession of sin on your part.
The message in verse 14 is very clear - bless rather than curse, or ask God for a blessing for them rather than for harm to be done to them.

However, rest assured that God is holy and righteous and does not abide sin. He will be the one to administer justice anyway. It is best to hand the situation to God and trust Him to deal in the most appropriate way for the good of all concerned.

But for your own part in all this, remember the following about forgiveness...
Matthew 6:
14 For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Re: Praying for Wrath

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Ark~Magic wrote:Does the bible say it is OK to pray for God to punish someone else or anything?
With or without the bible, you should know this is wrong.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson