Evolution is the best scientific explanation of humans

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

Thus, each of the three retroviruses studied showed unique integration site preferences, suggesting that virus-specific binding of integration complexes to chromatin features likely guides site selection.
http://www.iscid.org/boards/ubb-get_top ... 00167.html

Perhaps if the body didn't have these "key sites" where retroviruses "want" to plug into, they would plug into our DNA anywhere and we would not create immune responses. You see they said "preferences". It helps to know where the enemy is going to attack, and to have a defense mechanism in place when that "alarm" is wrung.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Jbuza wrote:WE cross posted a bit I was still editing some. I agree in that abstract those peple propose that the T-cells activated were "believed to enhance the microbes' pathogenicity". I wish the entire study was avilable. I was showing that the activation of these "retroViral" DNA sequences by an infection seems to produce a bodily response.

Wouldn't a cancer that illicited a T-cell response be a good response?
No it means that the infection is more serious.
Jbuza wrote:In spite of the marvelous ability of the body to react with immunities some viruses are killers.

From the site I listed in the cross post

It was assumed that retroviral sequences in human DNA represented leftover genes from infection of retroviruses. However, a new study demonstrates that these sequences actually block the infection of human cells with certain retroviruses (70). So, now these sequences seem to posses a vital function.
I am glad you are taking in interest in the studies. There is not enough known about the genome to be absolutely certain that junk DNA serves no purpose. However it can be estabilished that as of now there is no evident function for ERV's.
Jbuza wrote:http://www.godandscience.org/evolution/junkdna.html

I think there is fruitful research to be had from hypothesizing that "junk DNA" or "retroviral remnants" are actually important protective factors included by a benevolant creator.
In the case of EBV the ERV is actually a weakness. See sink analigy above.
Jbuza wrote:Evolution seems to hypothesize that 97 percent of the human DNA is junk.
But weather or not this code is worthless is besides the point. The fact remains that ERV's are similar between similar organisms. And that ERV's are inherited from parent to child.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Jbuza wrote:Thus, each of the three retroviruses studied showed unique integration site preferences, suggesting that virus-specific binding of integration complexes to chromatin features likely guides site selection.
http://www.iscid.org/boards/ubb-get_top ... 00167.html

Perhaps if the body didn't have these "key sites" where retroviruses "want" to plug into, they would plug into our DNA anywhere and we would not create immune responses. You see they said "preferences". It helps to know where the enemy is going to attack, and to have a defense mechanism in place when that "alarm" is wrung.
No you misread this article.
No matter where the virus prefers to plugin the result would be the same.
The immune system does not operate at this level. Once a virus has penetrated a host cell, Macrophages, T-calls and a host of other immunologic components cannot prevent it from entering the nucleus of the cell. It is a study on site selection. Due to the proteins involved the virus is selective on where to insert its genetic material.

Heres an analogy.
We have an intelligence agency(host cell). The agency is surounded by walls and security guards and agents(immune system). Double agents or spys(virus) infiltrate the agency. Once inside they proceed to the head of intelligence(nucleus). Now they have a choice(site selection) of doctored photos, lies, corrupted computer data, or false recordings to misdirect the agency.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson