Animals Complex Emotions

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Ark~Magic
Established Member

RE:

Post by Ark~Magic »

<li> Head down (“hang dog”): Submission or depression

Does this answer the question? As for loose poops, sounds like diarrhea.
"And I shall slay them who partake of futurism, for in the preterist light there will be everlasting salvation, truth, and peace." ~ Faust
numeral2_5
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by numeral2_5 »

Could feelings of submission or depression be caused by guilt or jealousy?
Ark~Magic
Established Member

RE:

Post by Ark~Magic »

So far there is no proof that animals experience this.
Animals don't have the same level of awareness or conciousness that humans do, and so far we haven't seen these emotions activated in their brains, so it's very questionable.
"And I shall slay them who partake of futurism, for in the preterist light there will be everlasting salvation, truth, and peace." ~ Faust
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

What is valid proof other humans feel these emotions?
Ark~Magic
Established Member

RE:

Post by Ark~Magic »

It takes a certain level of conciousness and awareness to make specific emotions exist, and animals don't have this.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

How could you possibly know this?
Ark~Magic
Established Member

RE:

Post by Ark~Magic »

How could you possibly not?
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

Saying that animals don't experience these emotions is like the amish saying that they don't believe in genetic testing.
Ark~Magic
Established Member

RE:

Post by Ark~Magic »

Again there is limited evidence that these things happen like in the brain due to the fact that animals have limited consciousness. If these things were true, we'd see things like:

<li> Animals creating actual cities, towns, etc.
<li> Animals pursuing goals beyond basic survival tactics
<li> Animals worshipping God
<li> Animals creating REAL art
<li> Animals getting married
<li> Animals having birthdays
<li> Animals commemorating the dead
<li> Animals praying
<li> Animals dying for faith
<li> Animals commited to a religion
<li> Animals believing in God
<li> Animals living by moral codes
<li> Animals commiting deliberate suicide
<li> Animals pursuing understanding of creation and life
<li> Animals creating peace treaties

Need I go on? I might add some more later.
Animals can experience submission and depression but whether or not they really experience jealousy or guilt simultaneously is difficult to say because of their level of awareness/conciousness and moral understanding. And if these things exist then why don't they show more of these other kinds of emotions?
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

Jealousy and Guilt don't begin to amount to religion, art and customs.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Look, animals do express emotions, and we do know what they think by expressing their emotions. If an animal thinks he/she is hungry, he/she will express that emotion upon what is needed. Humans do the same, however we are clearly more intelligent. If animals did not exhibit this emotional behavior, how would they survive, how would we know how to treat them if they/it are our pet? My dog expresses many emotions, but that is what an animal does, it needs them. But we are more unique than them in that we have a much broader spectrum of emotions and communication.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

My family had a hamster that in one night chewed it's low quality plastic running and cut it's jugular with it; it appeared to be with the purpose of it killing itself(I'm not sure). I do however think animals commit suicide.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

I do think although it is human directed animal art isn't always complete gibberish; take a look.http://www.great-apes.com/apePaintings.htm Look at AA501
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

numeral2_5 wrote:My family had a hamster that in one night chewed it's low quality plastic running and cut it's jugular with it; it appeared to be with the purpose of it killing itself(I'm not sure). I do however think animals commit suicide.
I don't know of one animal that commits suicide on purpose, perhaps by accident due to curiosity (lemmings), but not suicide. There ARE some creatures that do kill their mate after intercourse, such as spiders.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

numeral2_5 wrote:I do think although it is human directed animal art isn't always complete gibberish; take a look.http://www.great-apes.com/apePaintings.htm Look at AA501
That picture is gibberish, look at the others, that proves absolutely nothing except that they are curious and will use what is given. Ever watch a monkey paint, do you notice that it doesn't stay focused 100% of the time on the painting but looks around just making "stabs" with the paintbrush on the canvas?