Animals Complex Emotions

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
numeral2_5
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by numeral2_5 »

I think that particular one looks quite organized like a map of the world.
Ark~Magic
Established Member

RE:

Post by Ark~Magic »

Again, more anthropomorphisizing. The Ape pictures are just shapes and other things they monkey is playing with, but not true art as we would have it.

And I agree that no animal really comits suicide on purpose, I doubt even the hamster did (it's totally speculated and I've known people with animals that have accidentally killed themselves before, including mice and hamsters.)
I think that particular one looks quite organized like a map of the world.
And?
"And I shall slay them who partake of futurism, for in the preterist light there will be everlasting salvation, truth, and peace." ~ Faust
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

numeral2_5 wrote:I think that particular one looks quite organized like a map of the world.
Quite organized is not an option, but it can for you. This is freestyle art, how does a monkey know what the world looks like without seeing a map of it? If it saw a map of the world, do you expect the painting to look very similar to the actual thing? I don't believe so.
Last edited by Believer on Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ark~Magic
Established Member

RE:

Post by Ark~Magic »

This looks organized because they could still create organized shapes and colors that they like by repeating a process of strokes and others. if the ape likes it, they'll do it, but it doesn't get that much better unless it's taught. But that doesn't really matter.

Another classic example is the fact that "Koko the Gorilla" was musically artistic, and was allowed to release a CD. The shocking part is the fact that the songs were all written by people and then 'approved' by Koko, which went on her CD, and not to mention that humans are doing the singing.
"And I shall slay them who partake of futurism, for in the preterist light there will be everlasting salvation, truth, and peace." ~ Faust
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

I did merely speculate about the hamster like I said but I don't think you give animals enough credit. I have seen video of chimps paint and they do use brush strokes unlike elephants who just stab.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

Thinker said:

Quite organized is not an option, but it can for you. This is freestyle art, how does a monkey know what the world looks like without seeing a map of it? If it saw a map of the world, do you expect the painting to look very similar to the actual thing? I don't believe so.

I doesn't know what the world looks like I was just using it as a comparison to show you that it looks like something.

Edit:Maybe it does know what the world looks like(you can't read it's mind)
Last edited by numeral2_5 on Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

numeral2_5 wrote:I did merely speculate about the hamster like I said but I don't think you give animals enough credit. I have seen video of chimps paint and they do use brush strokes unlike elephants who just stab.
Monkeys don't stab? I believe I have seen it on Discovery Channel that they do. I have also seen elephants stab and stroke.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

I didn't say chimps don't stab; I just said they also used strokes.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

numeral2_5 wrote:Thinker said:

I doesn't know what the world looks like I was just using it as a comparison to show you that it looks like something.
Yes, something.
numeral2_5 wrote:Edit:Maybe it does know what the world looks like(you can't read it's mon)
You're right, I can't read a monkeys mind, but how does a monkey know what the world looks like if it has never seen it? My conclusion is that some force beyond nature gives it this ability to do such a thing. But from what I have seen, this is all speculative.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

That's what I've been saying.

How did the chimp know how the world looked like?
I don't think it did but I do think It had something in mind;beit an object, place or feeling.
Ark~Magic
Established Member

RE:

Post by Ark~Magic »

I never said monkey's didn't think, but I don't think they could create beyond what they have been taught.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

I beg to differ.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

numeral2_5 wrote:That's what I've been saying.

How did the chimp know how the world looked like?
I don't think it did but I do think It had something in mind;beit an object, place or feeling.
Well in mind, it felt like stabbing/stroking on the canvas. An ape does not know what the complete world looks like from a bird's eye view by object, place, or feeling. We are going in circles.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

I don't think that Ape Art 1 was a product of random stabbing/stroking.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

numeral2_5 wrote:I don't think that Ape Art 1 was a product of random stabbing/stroking.
Again, we are going in circles. You can think it was not random, but what constitutes as random to you?