Animals Complex Emotions

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Ark~Magic
Established Member

RE:

Post by Ark~Magic »

I don't think that Ape Art 1 was a product of random stabbing/stroking.
Neither do I think it was the product of some brilliantly guided plan. Have you ever seen an ape evolve into a picasso or van gogh? I don't even think those images are what you're suggesting.
"And I shall slay them who partake of futurism, for in the preterist light there will be everlasting salvation, truth, and peace." ~ Faust
numeral2_5
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by numeral2_5 »

Random is completely senseless like Robin William's humor.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

I would rank the ape's art as below Picasso but above alot of abstract in terms of randomness.
Ark~Magic
Established Member

RE:

Post by Ark~Magic »

You could make anything out of that art, whether it be brilliant or stupid.
"And I shall slay them who partake of futurism, for in the preterist light there will be everlasting salvation, truth, and peace." ~ Faust
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

I think that the first ape painting in quality is above that of a middle income year and a half old kid.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

numeral2_5, clearly we are going in circles getting nowhere. Again, what is the point you are bringing up? That monkeys are very smart? Yes, smart. Smart as we really think they are? No.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

I don't in a million years think that they are as smart as us; I just think they are capable of complex emotion and abstract thought.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

numeral2_5 wrote:I don't in a million years think that they are as smart as us; I just think they are capable of complex emotion and abstract thought.
Perhaps, but is there proof, let alone evidence of COMPLEX emotion and abstract thought?
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

Thinker wrote:
numeral2_5 wrote:I don't in a million years think that they are as smart as us; I just think they are capable of complex emotion and abstract thought.
Perhaps, but is there proof, let alone evidence of COMPLEX emotion and abstract thought?
Perhaps, but is there proof, let alone evidence of COMPLEX emotion and abstract thought in people; you've never seen a brain of a chimp but you know it is there.

CLARIFICATION: The brain thing is an analogy. I'm sorry.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

numeral2_5 wrote:
Thinker wrote:
Perhaps, but is there proof, let alone evidence of COMPLEX emotion and abstract thought in people; you've never seen a brain of a chimp but you know it is there.

I'm sorry, this doesn't work, we can examine this through human nature and human expression, monkeys on the other hand do not exhibit these COMPLEXITIES.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

Thinker wrote:
numeral2_5 wrote:
Thinker wrote:

I'm sorry, this doesn't work, we can examine this through human nature and human expression, monkeys on the other hand do not exhibit these COMPLEXITIES.
I think that they exibit these particular complexities but to a lesser degree than that of humans.
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

In what ways have apes expressed abstract thought?
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

Chimpanzee, orangutans, and gorillas have had to think outside of the box; in the wild they have used sticks to fish bugs out of a whole, gauge water depth, understand the principle of leverage, as well as make hats and umbrellas.

This stuff is not instinct.

CLARIFICATION: I don't mean complex mechanical umbrellas.
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

But can they fathom the concept of a god? That's my test for abstract thought!
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

kateliz wrote:But can they fathom the concept of a god? That's my test for abstract thought!
Ther are many people who cannot fathom the concept of a god they are called atheists and agnostics. That's why agnostics become agnostics.