Fear Of What Comes

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

Fear Of What Comes

Post by Believer »

Okay, time for something different from me for a change. Recently I have been really, really, worried that I am failing to be a follower of Christ and I am very scared of these verses which really makes it seem impossible to be accepted into heaven because there are WAY to many rules to follow. Yes, I know, I am not perfect, but I try to be the best I can be, and there is a verse that says fearing God is the beginning of wisdom, and yes, I have much fear. Too much it seems, that I get a lot of anxiety. How does anyone, taking the Bible in whole, make it to heaven? I am not in it for just that, but I also want to exhibit the things that Christians further in their walk have, which I don't have much. I was saved on 2/11/1995, with limited understanding of Christ, but my mom assisting me told me that I was genuine about it and sincere. During those years after, I didn't really bear much fruit because I had a lot of sin I was consistently living in. Almost 2 years now, I have taken Christianity more serious but I am still not going to a church because I don't know any that speaks true truth from the Bible, and I rarely read the Bible. My faith in Christ is very minimal as I am still trying to believe that he died for all my sins but I keep reaching "what ifs" and things like He didn't die for all my sins, and my sins are bad enough as it is and have done it long enough that He doesn't care and therefore He did not die for my sins. I know He exists, but part of me flat out denies it. Anyways, this thread that I started is a work in progress with progress notes, in the meantime, click here to understand some of my frustration. I just need the basics, without getting into deep doctrine, theology, and apologetics that seems to happen a lot here. What does it take? Many will not go to Heaven, so how then do you get there besides having faith (even if it is as small as a mustard seed) in Christ? I mean, I had a thread up on blasphemy of the Holy Spirit which happened to me as the result I believe as a spiritual attack, but we are supposed to only stick to the Bible and nothing else, does doctrine, theology, apologetics need not apply then and I am doomed?

Wanted to add this quote here from Mystical, because I feel I relate to all of what is quoted:
[u][b]Mystical[/b][/u] wrote:What does being saved feel like? Is there any scripture which describes it? Is one really saved without a demonstration of works? Is one really saved without a change in character? Does joy have to accompany salvation? Is salvation accompanied by an immediate feeling of joy? If you are saved, how do you know?
And this:

17 WAYS THAT CANNOT SAVE YOU

Last edited by Believer on Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

I don't think god is nearly as scary as most christians make him out to be, I think he would probably be merciful.
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

Can I ask, why do you believe/say you were saved in 1995?
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Mystical wrote:Can I ask, why do you believe/say you were saved in 1995?
Well, because my mom helped me accept Christ at a time in my life I vaguely remember, when I had a basic understanding of who Jesus Christ was and is. I just have doubts about it sometimes because she didn't know if my heart was sincere about accepting Him at that time, but she strongly believes I was and had nothing to worry about, I believe I was sincere. Although I have doubts about that event, mostly because I rely on my feelings too much.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

God is very scary. We need to get back to teaching the fear of the Lord (not removing it).

Psalm 111:10
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments. His praise endures forever."

Luke 12:4-5
“And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!"

Hebrews 10:31
"It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

puritan lad wrote:God is very scary. We need to get back to teaching the fear of the Lord (not removing it).

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments. His praise endures forever."

“And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!"

Yes, fine points in scripture puritan lad, however, how is this actually helping me since by your definition, John 3:16 is an invalid scripture? Whoever believes in HIM will/shall have eternal life. What hope do I have if God hand picks people? And going off-topic, how do you know you are one of the elect?
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

Thinker wrote:
puritan lad wrote:God is very scary. We need to get back to teaching the fear of the Lord (not removing it).

Yes, fine points in scripture puritan lad, however, how is this actually helping me since by your definition, John 3:16 is an invalid scripture? Whoever believes in HIM will/shall have eternal life. What hope do I have if God hand picks people?
You cannot pick and choose the scriptures that you like. (Matthew 4:4, 2 Timothy 3:16). You cannot choose John 3:16 and ignore Romans 9:10-23.

John 3:16 is not invalid. It does not say "Whoever chooses to believe in HIM will/shall have eternal life." John 3:16-18 emphasizes the need for belief. It does not address how "whosover" comes to believe in the first place. Other scriptures do. Just in the Gospel of John (John 1:12-13, John 3:3, John 6:37, John 6:44, John 6:65).

I could fill the page up with others, but this should suffice. More are listed here.
http://discussions.godandscience.org/about1037.html
And going off-topic, how do you know you are one of the elect?
Are you born again?
Do you hate your sins?
Do you live a life of repentance?
Do you love Him with all your heart soul, mind and strength?

If you are born again, you know it.

If you fear Him, then you have "the beginning of wisdom". If you are in doubt, seek His face with "fear and trembling", and you shall be comforted. Do not, however, dismiss this fear as unbiblical. It is real and necessary.
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

Puritan Lad, are those 4 things you listed, in your opinion, all that is required for "salvation"?
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

...I have doubts about that event...
If you have doubts about that event and you doubt you are saved, why not invite Jesus into your life now? You speak about doubts, questions, error, fear, the unknown, etc.

What I think you should do is this:

1) Write down what you know in your heart about Jesus.
2) Write down what you believe acceptance is.
3) Write down what you believe you can become under Jesus' guidance, love, and salvation.
4) Ask Jesus into your life again. Request his assistance in making you a new person from this moment on. Request that he dispell any unnecessary thoughts which might separate you from him.

Whenever you get confused again, refer back to what you wrote and understand that those things are the basis of your relationship with Jesus. When things get too complicated, return to the simple. Focus on what you know, not what you do not know. You can ask a pastor for help on 1-4.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

i sometimes think that the prayers I pray in my head arent really sincere...

What do you think about writing out your prayers on paper to God, like in letter form?
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

I think that is the devil trying to tempt/confuse you.

Writing is always good because it helps you to solidify and better understand your thoughts/feelings. You can always look back at them, too. Most of the time, people are fully absorbed and fully concentrating when they write; if you pray/write, I think God would love that.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

SUGAAAAA wrote:Puritan Lad, are those 4 things you listed, in your opinion, all that is required for "salvation"?
The first is the only requirement. The last three will be a natural result of the first one.

Species_8472
Acquainted Member

Post by Species_8472 »

Be on guard from the source of the world.
The yoke is kind and just.

Much of the image of god is the image of man. Change the image of god and you change the image of man. Change the image of the two and make them one--change the image of yourself.

For God is a mirror in which man gazes; yet, man sees not his reflection.
For man has had strong wine and bread. He knows not where the light leads...

John: 12

"26": If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

Matthew 16:

"24": Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

"25": For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

"26": For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

"27": For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

"28": Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

(there. i kept the door open for you. try not to trip on your way through).