Being Saved--What is it Like?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Mystical
Valued Member

Being Saved--What is it Like?

Post by Mystical »

What does being saved feel like? Is there any scripture which describes it? Is one really saved without a demonstration of works? Is one really saved without a change in character? Does joy have to accompany salvation? Is salvation accompanied by an immediate feeling of joy? If you are saved, how do you know?
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

Does anyone know?
OScoder
Newbie Member

Post by OScoder »

I think it's different for different people. I don't remember particular immense feeling on the exact time where I committed my life to Jesus, but there certainly have been many 'spiritual highs' (and many low points in my faith as well). Like one time where I was at a worship time in a service, and I really felt God's love and his presence in me, what some might call being filled with the spirit.

Also, about the 'demonstration of works' part. It actually depends what you mean by that. I don't see how anyone could become a christian without seeing some kind of evidence, if that's what you mean. Although, this may not be in the form of a massive 'miracle' as such.

Change in character for the most part doesn't happen overnight, it takes time. God's been changing my life gradually ever since I became a christian, and he still is now. It's just bits at a time - areas of my life that are highlighted as not being quite what God wants (or - I haven't given over to him).

Hope this answers, at least in part, your question. Just say if I used some kinds of 'christian' language that doesn't make sense!
SUGAAAAA
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by SUGAAAAA »

Yeah, from what I've gathered its slow, and gradual changes.

30 years from now, look back into your past (since you became a Christian) and you'll notice how God's worked in your life.

thats one man's statement.
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

Perhaps all these people running around thinking/saying they're saved (without the works) really aren't?
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Believer »

Mystical wrote:Perhaps all these people running around thinking/saying they're saved (without the works) really aren't?
Varies in different people at different times, mine is just starting to come through :). Either I am more mature and more wise or these are works, I feel compelled to do them, so they must be works. Hated doing anything for anyone before, I still kinda do, but not on the level of hate and I am getting better. Yeah, works come in at varied times, I also think prayer, being serious, helps to produce the works, that is, if you're saved.

People most certainly can go around thinking/saying they're saved without the works and not be saved, sure, but also the entire process after being born-again is a process, not instant. If it were instant, would you profit from learning nothing about the process?
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

It's like knowing that someday I will be sent home from the battlefield, and that my family is going to welcome me home so that life can begain again only better and without the struggles I have faced. It is also wonderful to know that I have a Father in heaven that has adopted me because of my relationship with his Son. What a wonderful day!
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

I am beginning to believe that works are mandatory and a change in character. It has taken me awhile, but I am beginning to feel a calling towards works: proclaiming God's word, counseling youth in prison, tithing, and volunteering to rehabilitate injured wildlife. My character began changing almost immediately after being saved. Just witnessed someone else get saved recently and the character change was also immediate...the calling towards works was pretty quick too.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Post by B. W. »

Mystical wrote:I am beginning to believe that works are mandatory and a change in character. It has taken me awhile, but I am beginning to feel a calling towards works: proclaiming God's word, counseling youth in prison, tithing, and volunteering to rehabilitate injured wildlife. My character began changing almost immediately after being saved. Just witnessed someone else get saved recently and the character change was also immediate...the calling towards works was pretty quick too.
For me, 25 years ago, it has been the same as you report but I would like too add a little more to define it better. After conversion, I discovered a new kind of life emerging naturally within me. I attained my Social Work Degree because of Christ, helped the disable and infirm, Began a successful local Prison Ministry and managed it for over 10 years, worked with troubled teens, and lately — elder care and hospice care, as well wrote my first Christian book.

All in all - Ephesians 2:10 “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." -NKJV- Says it all for me. It has been a natural outflow of something inside me from day one.

For me, 25 years ago, I can say I experienced the full meaning of Ephesians 2:8-10 and James 2:14-17:

Ephesians 2:8-10 "For by grace you have been saved through faith and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." NKJV

James 2:14-17 "What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." NKJV

The works seems to flow naturally without my even noticing them, maybe that is what it means to be saved by grace and not of works — that the works are the evidence of Christ working in you to do and will for His good pleasure.
-
-
-
-
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

Totally, perfectly wondrous!
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Post by B. W. »

Mystical wrote:Totally, perfectly wondrous!
and indeed it is :D

Yes, by God's sovereign grace through the agency of faith we are truly transformed in some strange and wondrous way! Reminds me of this poem:

Our faith is tried every day
As it grows deeper in every way
Leading us towards what once
We deemed impossible
Believed unimportant
And thought insignificant

Caring for family
Turning off the TV
Listening to children
Instead of wishing they go way
Help your spouse wash the dishes
And assist for a better day

Lead by reason to give aid
Assisted by grace to grant
Consolations sweet return
To those that need
To those that ache
To those that weep

Faith directs our way
Guides our steps
Reveals a new nature
Bound to Christ
With cords of love
So engaging everywhere
We trod

Poem by B. W. Melvin

You all can use this poem by my permission as long as you do not sell it or claim for your own. It is entitled — 'We Trod'
-
-
-
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

So completely true B.W. Stopped watching as much tv, listening to people more, etc. :D Cool deal.