KJV only version that's inspired?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nicki
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: KJV only version that's inspired?

Post by Nicki »

RickD wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:29 am
Nicki wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:17 am
RickD wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:08 am
Nicki wrote:
It was a while back that I was saved, but I'm pretty sure there was some element of it in the prayer I prayed. Does that mean I'm not saved? I can't imagine God saying, 'Ah, sorry, but you mentioned turning from sin in your 'salvation' prayer so you're not really saved, even though you always thought you were because you trusted in Christ.'
Are you saved because you trusted in Christ, or because you prayed a salvation prayer?
Both, I suppose - the prayer expressed the trust.
Is that your final answer?
:lol: I think so.
niketsurve
Newbie Member

Post by niketsurve »

Thanks for the information
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Welcome to GodandScience, Nketsurve! Tells us a bit about yourself, if you'd like!
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Philip wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:06 am Welcome to GodandScience, Nketsurve! Tells us a bit about yourself, if you'd like!
With a vague Random reply like that, I'd say he's a fake.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:37 am
Philip wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:06 am Welcome to GodandScience, Nketsurve! Tells us a bit about yourself, if you'd like!
With a vague Random reply like that, I'd say he's a fake.
Nessa,

Methinks you're getting very good at this discernment thing!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
claysmithr
Valued Member

Post by claysmithr »

Turning from sin... how can something you don't do be a work? When Jesus sent his disciples out 2 by 2, he had them preach the message of repentance, turning from sin. It's honestly the least God expects from us, and it's bothersome to call it 'another gospel' when Jesus himself preached repentance. It doesn't matter if we fail at it, but God at least expects us to try and live better. To remove repentance from sin is to remove the power of the Gospel to change someone's life.

Luke 13:3

Mark 6:12
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Claysmithr wrote:
When Jesus sent his disciples out 2 by 2, he had them preach the message of repentance, turning from sin.
No he didn’t. The Greek word translated as “repentance”, doesn’t not mean “a turning from sin.”

It’s not a direct translation to the English word “repent”, defined as “turning from sin”.

The Greek word means, “a change of mind”.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

claysmithr
Valued Member

Post by claysmithr »

RickD wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:17 pm
Claysmithr wrote:
When Jesus sent his disciples out 2 by 2, he had them preach the message of repentance, turning from sin.
No he didn’t. The Greek word translated as “repentance”, doesn’t not mean “a turning from sin.”

It’s not a direct translation to the English word “repent”, defined as “turning from sin”.

What are they supposed to be changing their mind about, then?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

claysmithr wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:49 pm
Claysmithr wrote:

About who Christ is, and what he’s done for salvation.

Repent and believe.

Change your mind about who Christ is, and what he’s done, and believe/trust in him.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick: About who Christ is, and what he’s done for salvation.

Repent and believe.

Change your mind about who Christ is, and what he’s done, and believe/trust in him.
And that belief and trust also involves a committal / submittal that isn't merely belief - as that is what one's trusting Him as GOD actually leads to (Salvation!). One saved has submitted their lives to Christ and His Lordship. Ah, but this is not "Lordship Salvation" - because learning to truly make Christ one's Lord is a life-long sanctification process that continues beyond one's initially RECOGNIZING / submitting to Him AS Lord, to subsequently learning how to obey and follow Him - a process we'll stumble and bumble through imperfectly as God's power in our lives changes us and our heart and mind's desires.
claysmithr
Valued Member

Post by claysmithr »

RickD wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:51 pm
Claysmithr wrote:

Repent and believe.

So they are supposed to change their mind about who Christ is, before he went to the cross? y:O2 y:-?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

claysmithr wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:36 am
Claysmithr wrote:

Repent and believe.

So they are supposed to change their mind about who Christ is, before he went to the cross? y:O2 y:-?
I must’ve misunderstood what you said. What verse did you have in mind, where Jesus sends his disciples 2 by 2, to preach repentance?

-Edward R Murrow

claysmithr
Valued Member

Post by claysmithr »

RickD wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:32 pm

Repent and believe.

I must’ve misunderstood what you said. What verse did you have in mind, where Jesus sends his disciples 2 by 2, to preach repentance?
Mark 6:12 - around that area.. here is the text
And he called the twelve and began to send them out two by two, and gave them authority over the unclean spirits. 8 He charged them to take nothing for their journey except a staff—no bread, no bag, no money in their belts— 9 but to wear sandals and not put on two tunics.[a] 10 And he said to them, “Whenever you enter a house, stay there until you depart from there. 11 And if any place will not receive you and they will not listen to you, when you leave, shake off the dust that is on your feet as a testimony against them.” 12 So they went out and proclaimed that people should repent. 13 And they cast out many demons and anointed with oil many who were sick and healed them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

claysmithr wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:55 pm

Repent and believe.

And he called the twelve and began to send them out two by two, and gave them authority over the unclean spirits. 8 He charged them to take nothing for their journey except a staff—no bread, no bag, no money in their belts— 9 but to wear sandals and not put on two tunics.[a] 10 And he said to them, “Whenever you enter a house, stay there until you depart from there. 11 And if any place will not receive you and they will not listen to you, when you leave, shake off the dust that is on your feet as a testimony against them.” 12 So they went out and proclaimed that people should repent. 13 And they cast out many demons and anointed with oil many who were sick and healed them.
First,
The text in that verse doesn’t say that Jesus told them to preach repentance. Second, the text isn’t saying that they should repent, regarding salvation.

So, your suggestion that people need to “turn from sin” in order to be saved, isn’t supported by that particular text.

-Edward R Murrow

claysmithr
Valued Member

Post by claysmithr »

RickD wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:15 am
claysmithr wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:55 pm

Repent and believe.

First,
The text in that verse doesn’t say that Jesus told them to preach repentance. Second, the text isn’t saying that they should repent, regarding salvation.

So, your suggestion that people need to “turn from sin” in order to be saved, isn’t supported by that particular text.
1. Jesus sent out the disciples 2 by 2, they told people to repent, you think Jesus had no input on what they are going to tell people to do?

2. I believe that the bible heavily implies repentance as turning from sin, so much so that the modern definition of repent is turning from sin

Truth is, repentance is very important to God. Turning from sin, turning to Jesus. Repentance implies a changed lifestyle. Let's look at Merriam Webster definition.
1: to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life
2a: to feel regret or contrition
b: to change one's mind
Now, if you only go by the 'change your mind' definition, what are you changing your mind about? Usually, it's changing your mind about Jesus, and about sin. I believe when Jesus's disciples told people to repent, they were supposed to repent of their sin and turn towards God.