Math Proves God?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:I'm asking you. How did they form? The chemicals present during Earth's atmosphere gives you no (or, to make sure I don't leave myself open, possibly one or two...) amino acids.
Well if you don't know, then how can you know the probabilities?
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:Well if you don't know, then how can you know the probabilities?
Come on, BGood, I hope you get a clue for Christmas. The mathematics of probability are well understood. Let me give you an example. There are 9 horses in a race. What are the odds that a specified horse will win ? 1 in 9 or 0.11111. Isn't it obvious how math can be used to solve problems ?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:I'm asking you. How did they form? The chemicals present during Earth's atmosphere gives you no (or, to make sure I don't leave myself open, possibly one or two...) amino acids.
I'm not talking probability. I'm saying the chemicals did not exist in early atmosphere to make amino acids. It's like having a nuclear warhead without uranium/plutonium in it-the probability that there will be a nuclear explosion is zero-because the ingredients don't exist for there to be one
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

sandy_mcd wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:Well if you don't know, then how can you know the probabilities?
Come on, BGood, I hope you get a clue for Christmas. The mathematics of probability are well understood. Let me give you an example. There are 9 horses in a race. What are the odds that a specified horse will win ? 1 in 9 or 0.11111. Isn't it obvious how math can be used to solve problems ?
Yes but what if we don't know which race in which country and how many horses are in the race.

Its not a simple horse race we are calculating here.

A better analogy, given all the Hay in the world whats are the odds that a specific peice of hay will be eaten by an unknown horse at an unknown race I will be viewing on a unknown date.

There are too many variables and the probabilities for any event becomes very small.
Last edited by BGoodForGoodSake on Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
I'm not talking probability. I'm saying the chemicals did not exist in early atmosphere to make amino acids. It's like having a nuclear warhead without uranium/plutonium in it-the probability that there will be a nuclear explosion is zero-because the ingredients don't exist for there to be one
But how can you tell me that these chemicals did not exist if you don't even know how they formed? Are you certain they did not exist?

I don't think so.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

But how can you tell me that these chemicals did not exist if you don't even know how they formed? Are you certain they did not exist?
My word...a glaring non sequitor and nonsense...lol

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:
My word...a glaring non sequitor and nonsense...lol
Just answer the question.
You responded to a critique of the article, it's not a non-sequitor.

I am questioning our body of knowledge and thus our abilities to calculate any sort of probabilities.
Bgood wrote:One major problem I see with the article is it is saying that the chances of a DNA sequence to correctly encode for a functioning protein are very small. The problem with this is that if I mixed nucleic acids in a vial and shake them around the chances of some of the chains encoding for a protein becomes almost 100%. Its like a quantum computer, all the solutions resolve at once and nature sorts out the ones which work.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

I no longer know what you're talking about. I responded to that statement already.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Forge
Valued Member

Post by Forge »

Math can show you are insane. Watch the movie Pi.
I DEMAND PIE, AND A BARREL OF WHIPPED CREAM