Evidence for the nativity

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Evidence for the nativity

Post by Silvertusk »

Hey Guys

Merry Christmas

Just a quick question - Is there any evidence for the nativity apart from Matthew and Luke's Gospel - I mean in areas like where the birth took place - the virgin birth etc...

God Bless

Silvertusk
ray
Recognized Member

nativity

Post by ray »

There are many books that would be included under the heading of New Testament Apocrypha that also contain the story. Try running a search on the net for "New Testament Apocrypha" and nativity or Mary etc. I found many references. Rather than try to list them all I thought it easier to let you know how I found them.

Ray
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

The Apocrypha are not to be trusted. For one thing, their writings are probably derivatives of the first four gospels...with a dash of gnosticism of course
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

You aren't going to find any other accounts of the nativity, if that is what you are asking. Early Church Fathers referenced it, but all of that was based on the gospel accounts, so these are our only sources.

But, historically speaking, this is more than enough. We have two independent documents that give us the same account that can each be verified as historically accurate. Besides this, the very fact that the virgin birth is even included in these two gospels is a compelling reason to believe it is true, because it would add fuel to the idea that Jesus was a bastard child. That would be terrible for credibility, so why include it if it were not true? It would be one of those stories that would do more damage than good . . .

Besides that, there is a ton of corroborative evidence within the accounts themselves. At the risk of being cliche, I'd suggest Lee Strobel's Case for Christ. Several of the interviewers deal with the accounts surrounding the historical accuracy of the birth of Christ.

Hope that helps,

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Religious Fanatic
Familiar Member
Christian: No

RE:

Post by Religious Fanatic »

Of course there's evidence for the nativity! Have you ever visited someone's front porch during the winter or the christmas section at Wal-Mart? :)