Is Calvinism a Heresy?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Heya, August . . . Lowly is perfectly capable of defending his position (and doing a pretty good job of it, I think!), but I wanted to respond to one thing you said in particular:
August wrote:I would also caution you not to build a strawman as regards Calvinism. It does not teach that man has no action in his own salvation, he must believe, by accepting. The WCF states:
I heard a great summarization of Calvinism the other day. I preacher stated, "You don't have to believe to be saved. You believe because you area saved." Obviously, that man is a Calvinist.

He is, of course, exactly right, so far as Calvinism goes. If regeneration preceeds faith, as it must in the Calvinist sense of things, then you are actually "saved to believe." It is pretty redundant, then, to say that "you believe to be saved," because what you are actually saying is, "you are saved to be saved." In the most literal sense, for the Calvinist, you are regenerated so that through faith you might receive the grace to be justified. I've been waiting on Puritan to respond, and when he does, I'll pick up that line of thought further. But, in the meantime, I just wanted to point out that it is not a straw man to say that, in Calvinism, man has no action. The belief he has is his only because he is saved.

Locker, if you are still looking for an answer to your question . . .
Locker wrote:Do not modern Calvinist also teach that a person is saved by grace through faith and that repentance and good works are the evidence of being born again? These works do not save but are rather an outgrowth of true saving grace and faith.
That is the terminology they use, yes. But when you get into the system, you see these things are not primary to salvation, but only secondary. When someone who has never heard of Calvinism reads Eph. 2:8-10, they read Paul saying that they have to believe to be saved. John 3:16 helps that idea greatly. But, that's not the Calvinist doctrine. For them, Eph. 2:8-10 doesn't tell a person how to be saved so much as it is stating a catagorical fact. In reality, God chooses whom He will save, and to them He gifts the gift of faith through regeneration by which that person believes and thus is imputed with righteousness. It then follows that good works and repentance, as well as the perseverance of that faith, comes naturally and necessarily. As a result, the assurance of one's faith is his or her works, which is ironic, because that's a doctrine Calvin himself strongly disagreed with . . .

I say the system is a heresy for two reasons. First, it slanders the Person and Nature of God, and second, it distorts the Gospel message by changing the object of faith from Christ's promise of salvation to man's works, proving the promise was granted to him.

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
LowlyOne
Established Member

Post by LowlyOne »

August, I said I will comment on those Scriptures and I will, but you mentioned the WMC. Doesn't it talk of God passing over those that He selected to be on the eternal damnation list, a choice He made before the foundation of the earth? If so, Show me in the Word where it clearly says He chooses to save some and simply “passes over” and chooses not to “effectually call” the rest who were before time predestined to hell for all eternity. Plus, do you seriously think that God has some on a conveyer belt destined for hell and they have no chance to be saved???

As for Proverbs 16:4 says, God truly has made everything—and all men, including those who have since gone bad—and will fulfill His purposes in all men. His purpose is to reward the good and to doom the evil—whoever they may turn out to be. The categories are fixed, but not their constuencies. Individuals have a choice (Gen.4:6-7, Mark 10:17-22).

Author of Elect in the Son, Robert Shank wrote something along the lines of the following:
I boldly proclaim and testify that a god who, while rescuing some, simply “passes by” others in the same lost circumstance is so little like the Good Samaritan in our Lord's parable and so much like the priest and the Levite that he cannot be the God who desires to have all men saved and none to perish. Such a god who constitutes a total contradiction of the spirit of the words of James “to him who knows to do good and does it not, to him it is sin” 4:17. If God simply “passes by” the mass of humanity in unconcern, His creation of man was the most dastardly act of infamy ever perpetrated, for He thus dammed into irremediable perpetual misery and despair the great mass of mankind created in His own image, and He is Himself the greatest curse that could be imposed on His own creation.

A god so heartless and so arbitrary cannot be the God who so loved the world that He gave up His only begotten Son to exile, sorrow, suffering, shame, and death. He cannot be the God who cries with sorrowing heart and infinite compassion, “Look unto me and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth, for I am God, and there is none other” Isaiah 45:22. He cannot be the God whose grace has appeared for the salvation of all men (Titus 2:11). He cannot be a god who is omni benevolent (all loving). According to 1 John 4:8, God is love. Not so for the god of Augustine, Calvin, and all the rest who teach such a doctrine. Such an arbitrary god is not the God of Scripture who is worthy of all adoration and worship, whom I trust in.

For the non Calvinist, each new baby girl or boy is a potential rescued one. There is hope for him or her and can be saved. But for the Calvinist, each baby girl or boy born into the world might just be one that their god has chosen to unconditional elect to hell. So for this one, their god is the author of suffering, for their god knew before the birth of this child that he would place them on the conveyer belt to hell without ever giving them to chance to repent and believe, escaping hell fire.

In Christ,
Lowly One
LowlyOne
Established Member

Post by LowlyOne »

You see my Calvinist brothers and sisters, I'm not too far off in comparison when it comes to our view of the fallen nature of man, with the exception of a sinners responsibility, oops, I mean a sinner's response ability. But, on top of God viewing the lost as “evil and wicked” He also views them in the following way as well; consider this:
When a man has intercourse with a woman, he imparts them with his seed, and the woman is impregnated. Nine months later, a child is born, and that child is part of the father. His seed belonged to him and now a child. He has incredible love for his child. Well In a like way, God forms the seed into a baby in the mothers womb as Scripture says, and He breathes life into it. It becomes a living creature, His very own creation. A creature that is intended to bear His image. A creature belonging to Him. That creature is part of Him, for it was His breath that releases life into the child just like it is man's sperm that becomes a baby and eventually a person. That one is part of the man coming from the man in the same way that one is part of God coming from God. So it is in this way that He loves them with an infinite love, although they deserved to be punished for their wickedness. This is why the invitation of the “gospel of salvation” is to “every creature” as Mark 16 says. Because the He is no respecter of persons, and shows personal favortism to no one, each invitation to “come, and take the water of life freely” is with all His heart, and is just as infinitely sincere as the invitations presented to every creature.

I know that we humans as God's creation are far from innocent. We deserve death. God could let all His creation get go to hell and according to His laws and judgment, it would be just. He could do so, and who am I to question Him? However, I don't see where Scripture shows this is how He has chosen to express His sovereignty. Just like an earthly father doesn't want any of his childen to go to prison and be executed and will do everything in His ability and influence to prevent that from happening,
God doesn't want any of His creation (humans) to be punished and spend forever separated from Him in an eternal place of punishment.

Isaiah 1:2-4
"Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth! For the Lord has spoken: " I have nourished and brought up children, And they have rebelled against Me; The ox knows its owner And the donkey its master's crib; But Israel does not know, My people do not consider." Alas, sinful nation, A people laden with iniquity, A brood of evildoers, Children who are corrupters! They have forsaken the Lord, They have provoked to anger The Holy One of Israel, They have turned away backward.

Here God calls these people His children. That He personally raised them. Are we to assume that God withheld the saving grace that would cause their obedience? Would not a good Father give His children all the necessary things for life, repentance,and joy?

Isaiah 5:4
"What more could have been done to My vineyard That I have not done in it? Why then, when I expected it to bring forth good grapes, Did it bring forth wild grapes?"
Was God being sincere when He lamented that He did all He could do to produce good fruit in Israel?

An internet freind,Steve Gregg said the following, concerning this very passage and topic:
For a man to be able to frustrate God's desire to save him does not make God impotent. The God who created the universe and worked wonders in Israel and raised Jesus from the dead is anything but impotent. But a being can have all power and still have no stomach for love that is offered to Him only under duress. To say that God has all power does not mean that He can act against truth or against His own nature. He "cannot lie" (Titus 1:2) and "He cannot deny Himself" (2 Tim.2:13). Despite His omnipotence, God cannot pardon and condemn a man for the same act. He cannot make an object that is a perfect circle and a perfect square at the same instant. Nor can He force a being to love Him, and maintain that creature's freedom of choice in the matter simultaneously. Even God must choose between mutually exclusive options. A man may desire that a certain woman would love and marry him. He might even have a gun, handcuffs, and all the power necessary to force her compliance with his wishes, and yet he may NOT wish for her to marry him under those forced conditions. He may be much more powerful than the maiden in question, but still not have the power to coerce her love. If it is her voluntary love that he is seeking, and she will not give it, then his wishes are frustrated, no matter how powerful he may be.
Lowly One
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

Lowly One,

A couple of issues.

First, the fact that your friend Shank referred to the "calvinist" God as "heartless and so arbitrary" suggests that Calvinism is correct. Paul clearly realized that His statements regarding the election of Jacob over Esau and the hardening of Pharoah would provoke such charges.

Romans 9:14
"What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God?"

Romans 9:19
You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?”

Does your view prompt such questions? If not, then it probably does not agree with Paul's view. Paul's answer was a harsh rebuke to anyone who would judge God due to a dislike of His soveriegnty in election (and yes, election and predestination are the same thing - Romans 8:28-30)

Romans 9:20-23
"But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?” Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor? What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory,"

Second, Calvinists believe that people have a choice. The only problem is that their choices are driven by their own nature, which that are NOT in control of. It is God who knits our innermost being (Psalm 139:15-16). Let's look at Pharoah as the perfect example.

Exodus 7:3-4
"And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply My signs and My wonders in the land of Egypt. But Pharaoh will not heed you, so that I may lay My hand on Egypt and bring My armies and My people, the children of Israel, out of the land of Egypt by great judgments."

This scripture is very clear. God hardened Pharoah's heart, so that He could judge Egypt by great judgments and receive the glory for freeing His people. It does not say that God allowed Pharoah's heart to be hardened. It says He hardened it.

Did Pharoah have a choice? Yes. It is clear from scripture that Pharoah hardened his own heart. He was a free moral agent. But the real questions is, "Could pharoah have overcome God's hardening of his heart and repented?" How?

Proverbs 21:1
"The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, Like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes."

Pharoah's heart was in the hands of a soveriegn God, and thus fulfilled God's pre-ordained purpose.

Romans 9:17-18
"For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.” Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens."

Does this sound offensive? Does this make God "heartless and so arbitrary"? Paul's answer: "indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God?" Those who think this way begin with the false assumptions that...

1.) God loves everybody the same - false (Romans 9:13)
2.) A fair and just God would offer salvation to everyone - false (A fair and just God would offer salvation to no one).
3.) Belief is a voluntary action - false (Belief is a passive action that is the condition of the heart, which God alone controls).

What separates the believer from the non-believer? Intellect? Goodness? Is it not the condition of our hearts? Is it not a combination of our innermost substance and our environment? What is it that separates you as a believer from the poor wretched Muslim children who are groomed from their birth to become suicide bombers? What is your free-will that prevented you from being born as one of them, or was it solely the grace of God?
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Did Pharoah have a choice? Yes.
No, not in Calvinism, because God foreordained his decision for him. I have said a million times in the past--just not on these boards--that I can accept Calvinism as a self-consistent, and thus even valid, interpretation of Scripture. But, that means that you have to concede to the logical conclusions wrought out by the ideas. Because God did not regenerate Pharaoh, the man was enslaved to his sin, and thus his rebellion, to the word of the Lord. Therefore, the "choice" he made was not a choice at all. God made the choice for him by choosing, for His own reasons, to not redeem him.

There is no "free moral agent" in Calvinism. The "choices" we make are those we are forced to make. I don't believe that's a straw man, either.

Still looking forward to your reply :)

God bless

edit: by the way, you should look into the concept of a judicial hardening of the heart. There are those of us who believe that God was the one who hardened Pharaoh's heart, and that God even hardens peoples' hearts today so that they will not believe. But, we believe that God does this as a punishment for a free will rejection and not as an active decision on His part as to who He will arbitrarily save and who He won't.

As C.S. Lewis said, paraphrased, God is the type of God who, end the end, you will either say to Him, "Thy will be done," or He will say to you, "Thy will be done." How terrible for the man whose will is granted to him!
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

Jac3510 wrote:
Did Pharoah have a choice? Yes.
No, not in Calvinism, because God foreordained his decision for him. I have said a million times in the past--just not on these boards--that I can accept Calvinism as a self-consistent, and thus even valid, interpretation of Scripture. But, that means that you have to concede to the logical conclusions wrought out by the ideas. Because God did not regenerate Pharaoh, the man was enslaved to his sin, and thus his rebellion, to the word of the Lord. Therefore, the "choice" he made was not a choice at all. God made the choice for him by choosing, for His own reasons, to not redeem him.

There is no "free moral agent" in Calvinism. The "choices" we make are those we are forced to make. I don't believe that's a straw man, either.
Wrong. Calvinists do not believe that God forces man to sin. God doesn't have to. Man has enough sin already in his own heart.

Was Judas's actions forced by God? No. Were they foreordained? Yes. Same with the Pharisees, Pilate, and the Jewish people who cried out "Give us Barrabus". God did not force any of these people do perform their actions. However, their actions were predestined, as Jesus Christ was the lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
Jac3510 wrote:by the way, you should look into the concept of a judicial hardening of the heart. There are those of us who believe that God was the one who hardened Pharaoh's heart, and that God even hardens peoples' hearts today so that they will not believe. But, we believe that God does this as a punishment for a free will rejection and not as an active decision on His part as to who He will arbitrarily save and who He won't.
It's a good thing that God didn't punish Saul of Tarsus for his "free will rejection". He was the chief of sinners, actively murdering the saints. He not only rejected the gospel, but actively fought against it. However, he was also "a chosen vessel of [God's] to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel." (Acts 9:15). No free will here. God chose Saul before Saul ever chose God. Paul's conversion cannot be attributed to his own will. If anything, the will of Saul of Tarsus was in complete hostility toward Christ, until he got a heart transplant.

God's decision is not arbitrary, but it is particular. "“I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion" (Romans 9:15)
As C.S. Lewis said, paraphrased, God is the type of God who, end the end, you will either say to Him, "Thy will be done," or He will say to you, "Thy will be done." How terrible for the man whose will is granted to him!
Nice theory. I just can't find it in the Bible. In fact the Bible says just the opposite.

Psalm 33:10-12
"The LORD brings the counsel of the nations to nothing; He makes the plans of the peoples of no effect. The counsel of the LORD stands forever, The plans of His heart to all generations. Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, The people He has chosen as His own inheritance."

Psalm 115:3
"But our God is in heaven; He does whatever He pleases."

Daniel 4:35
"All the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing; He does according to His will in the army of heaven And among the inhabitants of the earth. No one can restrain His hand Or say to Him, “What have You done?”

Isaiah 46:9-11
"Remember the former things of old, For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me, Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things that are not yet done, Saying, 'My counsel shall stand, And I will do all My pleasure,' Calling a bird of prey from the east, The man who executes My counsel, from a far country. Indeed I have spoken it; I will also bring it to pass. I have purposed it; I will also do it."

John 1:12-13
"But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God."

Romans 9:16
"So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy."

Ephesians 1:11
"In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will,"

While you claim that you are not an Arminian, your view of justification is identical. It is nothing more than a "salvation by works", even is that work is simply saying to God, "Thy will be done".
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

Locker
Recognized Member

Post by Locker »

puritan lad wrote: While you claim that you are not an Arminian, your view of justification is identical. It is nothing more than a "salvation by works", even is that work is simply saying to God, "Thy will be done".
PL, can you explain the Arminian position better?

Jac - could you then respond?

I am having trouble understaning what both of you are saying. For me, Jac seems to agree with Calvinism on several issues but then spins off from there. Maybe if both of you would explore, rationally and civily, the Arminian point of view - we who are reading this thread would be able to follow along better.

God Bless and thanks!
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Locker:

I would be interested to see PL's understanding of the Arminian view of justification. It seems to me that his statement was simply an attack to move the debate away from a rational interpretation of Scriptures, whether that was intended or not.

As I noted early in this thread, I agree with a lot of the Calvinist reasoning. I simply disagree with their basic assumptions, and thus, I come to VERY different conclusions. For example, I believe that justification is the work of God alone, as is regeneration, adoption, election, positional sanctification, sealing, indwelling, etc. Further, I believe that justification is granted through the channel of faith and through that channel alone, as the Calvinist would agree. I believe that justification is a one time decree that cannot be altered, and thus, I accept the doctrine of "Once Saved Always Saved," which, for the record, proves PL's statement wrong that my view of justification is precisely the same as that of the Arminian's.

Where I agree with the Arminian and yet disagree with the Calvinist is that a man has the ability to respond to the call. You see, the Calvinist believes that a man is incapable of responding to the invitation to receive the Gospel. I dealt with this objection thoroughly in my first defense of my position, which has still gone unanswered. But, even that isn't a completely accurate statement, because the Arminian doesn't believe that a man can respond so much as he believes that God can respond to man! In other words, for the Arminian, man has enough goodness in him to come to God. If he chooses such, then God works with him to save him. This is a heresy, for it is, in fact, a works based salvation.

Now, I believe nothing of this sort. I believe that human beings can respond to the gospel (or reject it) once they have been invited. Who are invited? All who hear, and hence, the importance of the Great Commission (although we could go deeper with that discussion as well).

I would summarize all this by saying that the Arminian believes that the man who chooses God is then chosen by God for salvation, and that man has enough goodness in him to make such a choice. Because of this, man can also choose to reject God, even after his initial acceptance! Justification is conditioned on several things, including initial faith, repentance, good works, and sustained faith. The one who does not do these things is not saved.

Now, Puritan . . . a few brief things for you:
Wrong. Calvinists do not believe that God forces man to sin. God doesn't have to. Man has enough sin already in his own heart.

Was Judas's actions forced by God? No. Were they foreordained? Yes. Same with the Pharisees, Pilate, and the Jewish people who cried out "Give us Barrabus". God did not force any of these people do perform their actions. However, their actions were predestined, as Jesus Christ was the lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
Did I say that God forced men to sin in my argument to you? No, I did not. I said that Pharaoh's decision was made for him. I have said before that, in Calvinism, the only "choice" a man has is to choose what has been chosen for him. I was primarily objecting to your claim that Pharaoh was a "free moral agent." He was no such thing, for you. His will was in bondage to his sin nature. He did not have the capacity to choose to accept God's commandment, because God chose not to give him that capacity!. You can try to take pressure off by saying that "man has enough sin in his own heart," but that ignores that basic fact that God has enough power to overcome that. While God is not responsible for the specific sin, God IS responsible for not delivering a person from their sin nature when it is in His power to do so. Therefore, God's command to Pharaoh are actually a mockery. God has no legal right to issue a command and then not give that person the ability to fulfill it, and then turn around and judge them man for failing. As has been noted, God Himself said that if a man knows what is right and does not do it, for him, it is sin. Calvinism, then, convicts God of sin. Pharaoh, then, had no choice. God did.

The same situation applies with the Pharisees, Judas, Pilate, and the whole lot.
It's a good thing that God didn't punish Saul of Tarsus for his "free will rejection". He was the chief of sinners, actively murdering the saints. He not only rejected the gospel, but actively fought against it. However, he was also "a chosen vessel of [God's] to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel." (Acts 9:15). No free will here. God chose Saul before Saul ever chose God. Paul's conversion cannot be attributed to his own will. If anything, the will of Saul of Tarsus was in complete hostility toward Christ, until he got a heart transplant.

God's decision is not arbitrary, but it is particular. "“I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion" (Romans 9:15)
I don't remember saying that God was forced to harden the heart of everyone who had rejected him. Also, you will note that Paul rejected Christ in ignorace, which was a very different situation from the Pharisees, or even from Moses! So, on either basis, your argument does not work.

As for God's decision on who to save, it most certainly is arbitrary. On what basis does God choose those whom He will have mercy and those whom He will not have mercy, thus condemning? It certainly cannot be meritorious, and thus, it must be arbitrary.
Nice theory. I just can't find it in the Bible. In fact the Bible says just the opposite.
I find it all over the Bible . . . 2 Thess. 2:11 is one verse in a host of many to prove the point . . . Pharaoh's story provides a literary example. In the verse cited here, God will send (or in your view, already sent) a delusion so that those who reject(ed) the Gospel will (would) believe the lies of the antichrist. And what is the basis for this delusion? The people's rejection. Of course, you will interpret that to mean that those that rejected are simply those who God chose not to to regenerate, and thus, God added an extra delusion to them to have them actively believe the lies of Satan. But, the point still stands. It is taught in Scripture.

There comes a point in time where God stops drawing you, i.e., He hardens your heart. Now, I will thoroughly admit that this may not be happening today, but this situation can only apply to those with direct contact to special revelation, i.e., Pharaoh, the Pharisees, the Jews who crucified Christ, the tribulation generation, etc. That is up for debate. Regardless, it is clearly taught in Scripture, and as such, I agree with it. As for the verses you cited, all are simply advocating the Sovereignty of God. Too bad for you I support that concept entirely!

On a final note, I think you may have misunderstood Lewis' statement. God's saying "Thy will be done" is a terrible thing, because the only thing man says to God is "I don't need you!" or "I will find salvation on my own terms." So God says, "Fine, have it your way," and the result is his damnation. It is only when man says to God, "Thy will be done," that salvation becomes possible--although, be sure to read through the Free Grace vs. Lordship thread for a severe qualification of that last statement.

God bless
Last edited by Jac3510 on Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LowlyOne
Established Member

Post by LowlyOne »

P.L. Wrote
While you claim that you are not an Arminian, your view of justification is identical. It is nothing more than a "salvation by works", even is that work is simply saying to God, "Thy will be done".
So basically if man chose to believe in Christ and then was regenerated, made alive, born again, and born of God, then you're saying it was by works, right. Sure you are. Well, Scripture says differently:

Romans 4:2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." 4Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt. 5 But to himwho does not workbut believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness,

Colossians 2:11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faithin the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses

It's pretty clear to me and here as well.
We placed faith in Christ, were forgiven of all tresspasses (justified) and then were made alive, born again. Notice that it say's HAVING FORGIVEN YOU... That's past tense. So it's after being justified and forgiven that we were made alive. Which means faith came first, then justification, then regeneration. Our choice to believe or place faith in Christ is not a work either, as Romans 4:2-5 says, so that's not a salvation by works gosepl. To say that is nothing more than a strawman indeed.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

Jac3510,

How is your view any different than Arminianism? It is identical in that you hold that Christ died for everyone on the planet and then left the final decision to us. While you may agree with "Once saved, Always saved", this belief itself becomes dangerous in light of your other views. It becomes "fire insurance for the wicked". Once you take away Christ's Lordship (another debate) and God's Sovereignty in election, you put an easy-believism form of salvation into the hands of man.

While such a view pleases men's ears with the idea that Christ died for everyone, it actually teaches that Christ died for no one. Christ pays the price for everyones sins, yet many still end up in Hell.

Further, to refute your original post, those who go to Hell do so precisely due to their sins. If your theory were true, then all sin was paid for at Calvary. Such was not the case. See Acts 3:19, Acts 22:16, Romans 4:7, 1 Thessalonians 2:16, Revelation 18:4. The gospel is one of repentance. There is no other gospel.

Through Christ, Christians have actual redemption (Colossians 1:14). Christ did not come to "offer" salvation. He came to "save His people from their sins" (Matthew 1:21).

Lest you object, let me ask you. Who did Christ, with His own blood, secure eternal redemption for? (Hebrews 9:12)
Now, I believe nothing of this sort. I believe that human beings can respond to the gospel (or reject it) once they have been invited. Who are invited? All who hear, and hence, the importance of the Great Commission (although we could go deeper with that discussion as well).
What will you do with Acts 13:38?

"Now when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of the Lord. And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed."

All heard, but only those who were appointed to eternal life believed. No free will here. It is because "I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.” (John 6:65).

Does God's Word always serve God's purpose Jac, or only when someone is saved? (Isaiah 55:11)

Matthew 22:14
“For many are called, but few are chosen.”
Did I say that God forced men to sin in my argument to you? No, I did not. I said that Pharaoh's decision was made for him. I have said before that, in Calvinism, the only "choice" a man has is to choose what has been chosen for him. I was primarily objecting to your claim that Pharaoh was a "free moral agent." He was no such thing, for you. His will was in bondage to his sin nature. He did not have the capacity to choose to accept God's commandment, because God chose not to give him that capacity!.
Exactly right. Pharoah was a slave to sin, and God sovereignly chose not to deliver him, but rather had another purpose in mind. God raised up Pharoah precisely so the He could destroy Him and judge Egypt, thus receiving all the glory for the deliverance of His people. That's what the Word tells us anyway. If you object, well Paul deals with your objection in Romans 9:14-23.
God has no legal right to issue a command and then not give that person the ability to fulfill it, and then turn around and judge them man for failing. As has been noted, God Himself said that if a man knows what is right and does not do it, for him, it is sin. Calvinism, then, convicts God of sin. Pharaoh, then, had no choice. God did.
Careful, Jac. You are on dangerous ground here. God has no legal right??? Trust me, He does. (In fact, that is exactly what he did to Pharoah - Exodus 7:1-5). God gave Pharoah a commandment, and then hardened his heart so that pharoah would not obey it. Why? So that He could judge Egypt with great judgments.

"I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy".

God has no legal right??? Maybe Pharoah should have hired an ACLU attorney and taken God to the Supreme Court, eh? "But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?” Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?" (Romans 9:20-21)

See also Psalm 33:10-12, Psalm 115:3, and Daniel 4:35.

Jac, God is God. He has the legal right to do whatever He wants. (That is His job description). We do not have any right whatsoever to sit in judgment of Him.
I don't remember saying that God was forced to harden the heart of everyone who had rejected him. Also, you will note that Paul rejected Christ in ignorace, which was a very different situation from the Pharisees, or even from Moses! So, on either basis, your argument does not work.
Sorry, Jac. This holds no water. Paul was certainly not more ignorant than Pharoah. If anything, Paul had alot more knowledge of God than Pharoah did. And Paul was a Pharisee (Acts 23:6).

The problem is that there is none who understands (Romans 3:11). No one can understand or receive the things of God until he is born again.

1 Corinthians 2:14
"But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

This is why a man must be born again before he can even see the kingdom of God, let alone enter it. (John 3:3). When Nicodemus asked how this happens, Jesus responded.

John 3:7-8
"Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.' The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”"

God's Spirit is sovereign in election.
As for God's decision on who to save, it most certainly is arbitrary. On what basis does God choose those whom He will have mercy and those whom He will not have mercy, thus condemning? It certainly cannot be meritorious, and thus, it must be arbitrary.
It is not arbitrary, just because man has no control over it. It was ordained from the foundation of the world, decided "according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will," (Eph. 1:11).
There comes a point in time where God stops drawing you, i.e., He hardens your heart. Now, I will thoroughly admit that this may not be happening today, but this situation can only apply to those with direct contact to special revelation, i.e., Pharaoh, the Pharisees, the Jews who crucified Christ, the tribulation generation, etc. That is up for debate. Regardless, it is clearly taught in Scripture, and as such, I agree with it. As for the verses you cited, all are simply advocating the Sovereignty of God. Too bad for you I support that concept entirely!
John 6:37
"All that the Father gives Me will come to Me..."

If God draws you, you will come.
On a final note, I think you may have misunderstood Lewis' statement. God's saying "Thy will be done" is a terrible thing, because the only thing man says to God is "I don't need you!" or "I will find salvation on my own terms." So God says, "Fine, have it your way," and the result is his damnation. It is only when man says to God, "Thy will be done," that salvation becomes possible--although, be sure to read through the Free Grace vs. Lordship thread for a severe qualification of that last statement.
I understood it OK. It means that God, despite the eternal degree of the Father, the atoning work of the Son, and the effectual calling of the Spirit, though He tries His best to save a person, has His efforts frustrated by the will of man, who stubbornly rejects God's work and tells Him the quotes above. Thus God, thoroughly unable to make a dent in man's will, finally gives up, exasperated that He was unable to do His pleasure. This is precisely what John Owen meant when He called "Free Will" an idol. Power and Stout, this idol puts God in His place, and tells Him, "I will do all my pleasure". Thus, the idol of Free Will is soveriegn, and God is not. The clay gets control of the potter. (I like Lewis, but the above is nonsense.)

Hopefully, this answered the issue of you original post as well.

God Bless,

PL

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Well, at least I get to have some fun today . . . ;)
Puritan Lad wrote:How is your view any different than Arminianism? It is identical in that you hold that Christ died for everyone on the planet and then left the final decision to us. While you may agree with "Once saved, Always saved", this belief itself becomes dangerous in light of your other views. It becomes "fire insurance for the wicked". Once you take away Christ's Lordship (another debate) and God's Sovereignty in election, you put an easy-believism form of salvation into the hands of man.
I would ask you how my view is similar to the Arminian, because your equation is very off base. When I say that Christ died for everyone and the Arminian says that Christ died for everyone, we are saying very different things. The Arminian holds that Christ's death was "sufficient for all." I hold that Christ's death was effectual for all. The Arminian holds that Christ's atoning death leads to justification. I reject that notion entirely.

As for the "easy believism" charge, I can refute that in two ways. First, I can prove that it isn't so easy to believe. You don't believe it. Half the people on this board don't believe it. Better than eighty percent of Americans believe it. No reformed theologian believes it. Catholics don't believe it. Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, and atheists don't believe it. It is, in fact, very difficult for someone to accept that in order to be saved, all they have to do believe. Someone has said that human beings always try to add works to salvation. The doctrine I advocate is the only one that has NO works. And look what you do . . . you accuse it of being wrong because it is "too easy."

Secondly, your attack is loaded with a purjorative word that doesn't need to apply. While it is not at all easy to believe this profound truth, it most certainly is very simple. I would thoroughly advocate "simple believism." And why should it be any different? Do you not know the character of God? I realize that the Calvinist god is cruel and arbitrary and lords His sovereignty over His creation, all the while mocking those whom He decides not to deliver, even while He has the power to do so. But God is a father. He is Love. As such, why would He make it difficult to come to Him? We would expect following Him to be difficult, because suffering causes us to die to self. As C. S. Lewis noted, a perfectly good God is one who is to be terribly feared, because such a God will not spare you of pain. Like a dentist, He will finish the work He must do to accomplish the greater good, regardless of the temporary pain. But why should God make it difficult to come to Him? It defies logic.

Do you have any children, Puritan? How hard would you make it on one of them to come to you? I was witnessing to a friend of mine who is an unbeliever. He rejected the gospel because "it's just too easy." As it happened, his son was in the room at the time. I said, "Doug. You love Mackie, right? How hard would you make it on him to be called your son?" When he composed himself, he finally said, "I see your point. You don't have to say another word."

So, is this easy believism? By all means, no it is not. But it most certainly is simple believism, which is exactly what we expect to find.
Puritan Lad wrote:Christ pays the price for everyones sins, yet many still end up in Hell.
Of course it does. That's one of the major points. The price for sin has been paid. Period. Now, I'll handle the scriptures you posted, and then refer you back to the ones I provided:
  • Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord (Acts 3:19, NIV)
Beautiful verse . . . it's also a beautiful passage. Here, Peter had just healed a lame man. The people were astonished, so he preached to them to explain his power. He, of course, cites Jesus as the source of his authority. But notice what he says . . . he notes that these same people who were astonished were the ones that had just had Jesus crucified. Now, you really should have quoted the rest of Peter's statement to them. In fullness, he said, "Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, and that he may send the Christ, who has been appointed for you—even Jesus." Repentance in this verse yield three results:

1) The blotting out of sins,
2) The restoration of Israel,
3) The return of Christ.

Belief alone saves these people from eternal damnation, repentance was necessary for these people (as it is for the Jews today) for the last two items on that list. Now, you may cite the first result as proof that repentance leads to remission of sins. Hey, good. I would, too! Too bad that a lack of remission doesn't mean damnation. It means that judgment would soon come upon them, which it did, in AD 70. This is the same point Paul made in Romans 10:7ff. So, to wrap up, remission of sins here is to avoid judgment and bring the return of Christ. It is not for salvation.
  • And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.' (Acts 22:16, NIV)
Again, this "washing away of sins" has nothing to do with salvation. If we look at the account, Paul refers to Jesus as "Lord" in verse 10, and notice that he asks what he is to do. Clearly, he has believed! When we go further, we see that Ananias referred to Paul as "Brother Saul" in verse 13. He then gives this Christian instructions to go be baptized. Now, if you want to take this washing of sins to be the reference to Paul's salvation, then unfortunately you have to believe that baptism is required for salvation, because Ananias says: "Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name." Once again, repentance leads to the forgiveness of sins. Paul had to have his sins forgiven if he was to be God's chosen vessel among the Gentiles. But, again, the forgiveness of sins does not save Paul. He was already saved. Once again, we can compare with Romans 10, and specifically verse 13 there. The meaning in both of these passages are the same. We call on the name of the Lord to be saved, not from damnation, but from temporal judgment.
  • Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered (Rom. 4:7, NIV)
Now you truly don't think that I would argue that the person whose sins are forgiven isn't blessed! Puritan, you have to deal with my basic argument, which is that the forgiveness of sins is not what gets a person to Heaven! Forgiveness of sins leads to proper fellowship with God. It was that way in the OT (c.f. 2 Chron. 7:14), and it is that way in the NT. In fact, you really should have quoted this whole passage, because it is one of the great proof texts for a free grace theology. Further, it flatly contradicts Calvinism. Verses 4 and 5 of that passage is one of the most beautiful in the whole of the NT. The NIV renders it:

"Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness."

It is here that we see that righteousness is imputed through faith ALONE. But notice that in verse five, especially, God justifies the wicked. Now wait . . . in the Calvinist view of things, a man is first regenerated, and then he has the faith to believe, and then, through that faith, God justifies him. But are you saying that the new man--the man "born from above" is wicked? Of course, if you believe that faith precedes regeneration, as this passage clearly teaches, you don't have that problem.
  • in their effort to keep us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved. In this way they always heap up their sins to the limit. The wrath of God has come upon them at last (1 Thess. 2:16, NIV)
Paul is referring to the Jews who crucified Christ and were hindering his ministry. This verse cannot be used to support that repentance is necessary for salvation, or that it is sin that condemns a man to Hell. Notice a few things:

1) These people have already rejected Jesus as the Messiah. This is the basis for condemnation to Hell.
2) Their sins are "heaped up to the limit" because they are discouraging the work of the apostles. And yet, how can a condemned man be further condemned? Condemnation is condemnation! However, the suffering of one can be worse than the suffering of another. Paul is saying that the punishment of these people will be great indeed, and it increases as their hostility increases.
3) These people were not presently in Hell, so therefore, "wrath" cannot here refer to Hellfire. As such, this verse has nothing to do with eternal salvation. Paul is referencing the judgment that God had decreed against the unbelieving Israel, which took place in AD 70.
  • Then I heard another voice from heaven say: "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins, so that you will not receive any of her plagues (Revelation 18:4, NIV)
I have trouble seeing how this verse could even slightly suggest eschatological judgment or salvation--even in the preterist view of things! Of course, being the good dispensational pre-millennialist that I am, this is an incredibly easy passage that thoroughly supports the doctrine I am advocating. Jesus is calling out to the Christians to flee from Babylon, for it is about to be destroyed. And it will fall "in one day." Yet again, we see a passage that refers to God's temporal judgment against sin!

So far, you haven't done anything to show I'm mistaken anywhere in my theology, although these verses count strongly against you.
Puritan Lad wrote:Through Christ, Christians have actual redemption (Colossians 1:14). Christ did not come to "offer" salvation. He came to "save His people from their sins" (Matthew 1:21).

Lest you object, let me ask you. Who did Christ, with His own blood, secure eternal redemption for? (Hebrews 9:12)
I have no doubt that in Christ our sins are forgiven, nor that Christ came to save us from them. Had Christ not come, we would have all been condemned to Hell because of our sins. But, now that He has, if anyone is condemned, it is no longer for sin! He DID save his people from their sins. Now, we can say a few things about Matt. 1:21 with regard to "his people." I suspect you take this to mean "the elect." It much more likely refers to Israel. John says, "came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him." (John 1:11, NIV). Second, in the Millennial view, Jesus will save ALL Israel from their sins in the day He returns. As such, we can read "save his people from their sins" in either of two ways:

1) A reference to the crucifixion, in which Christ made atonement for all sin, or
2) A reference to the establishment of the Kingdom, in which Christ will reign forever on the Davidic Throne.

If you are familiar with the OT, you will know that in the book of Deuteronomy, God lays out the Covenant by which He will govern Israel. This covenant is enforced by the prophets. In order for the kingdom to last, the people had to serve only God. Therefore, it follows that if their Messiah was to reign forever, then the people would have to serve only God forever! Thus, they would have to be "saved from their sins" to avoid being destroyed by God. So, either understanding can be correct, and I would advocate that both ideas are found in this passage.

Now, you ask who Christ secured eternal redemption for. Without going into massive details, I could concede that Christ secured redemption only for the elect . . . I have to study it more. But a brief look at the text yields a few observations. Paul (or whoever wrote Hebrews) is comparing the Old Covenant and its sacrificial system with the New. The high priest of the Old would enter a man-made tabernacle and offer a sacrifice for all under that covenant. In the same way, the everlasting High Priest has entered into the everlasting tabernacle and and secured redemption for all in the New Covenant. And who are those? Those who are "in Christ," as I have elsewhere demonstrated.

Let's remind the reader again, the atonement does NOT necessarily lead to salvation. It was sufficient AND effectual for ALL. In contrast with this, the righteousness of Christ is sufficient for any who would come, but it is only IMPUTED to those who believe. Since Christ did not come to impute righteousness to all, but only to those who believe, we cannot say that the righteousness of Christ is sufficient for all. It is sufficient only for those who will believe, that is, the elect. These seem to be the ones Christ secured redemption for.

Now . . . I'll probably get to the rest of your post tomorrow, but for the time being it is late. I'll just say that your post did very little to answer my initial argument. If you remember, in it I argued for:

1) Universal Atonement
2) Unconditional Election for those in Christ
3) The ability of man to respond to the Gospel, once invited.

You will also note that the verses you have given to me, I have handled individually, and yet, you have not taken up my own supplied Scriptures. I continue to charge that the Bible clearly teaches that Christ died for all, as per Scripture, which has been provided. I continue to charge that the elect are those in Christ, as per Scripture, which has been provided. I continue to charge that man is able to respond to the invitation of God, as per Scripture, which has been provided.

As I have handled, and will continue to handle, the passages you bring to my attention, I expect the same in return from you.

God bless

edit: actually, PL, given our discussions, I want to see if you can tell me where I stand on each of the five points between Calvinism and Arminianism. I have been very clear on each of these, so it will be interesting to see if you can articulate them. I can explain both of the five points in the two systems under consideration, and thus, I at least have a good starting ground for offering a critique. Can you do the same for me?
Last edited by Jac3510 on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
joshutup
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Post by joshutup »

B. W. wrote:Maybe this is what Jac3510 was trying to get at? Is salvation/damnation based on pure selection? Or do humans truly have a choice in the matter?
I don't see why the two have to be mutually exclusive.

I'll be honest, I didn't read this whole thread (it is quite long), but is Jac trying to say that nobody is going to hell?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

No, No . . . not saying that at all, Josh. The sad part is that the majority of people ever born will be in Hell. There will be, in fact, many, many "Christians" in Hell because they haven't merely believed in Christ as the Savior. There are many who are attempting to live like He would have them live. There are many who are disciples. There are many who make great servants of the Kingdom, and yet they are not children of the Kingdom because they have not trusted Christ alone for their salvation. They've trusted some sad exchange of their lives for the righteousness of Christ.

"Here God," they say. "Take my life . . . I give it to you. Be Lord of it so that you will save me." See the exchange, there? That's not salvation. That's a damnable salvation by works. :( Salvation is by belief in Christ and Christ alone, no more and no less.

No, what I AM asserting is that man has to believe in Christ to be saved, and that Calvinism is a heresy because it denies this basic truth. It ascribes to God the horrible sin of man's rejection of Him, and it denies the basic truth that man must believe to be saved. In Calvinism, man is saved to believe, and that belief is proven by works and sustained faith (even if it falters at times). As such, assurance of salvation is found in one's own works and faith, which are thought to be gifts from God. It is sad and ironic how much stock Calvinism puts in the faith of man by assuming that it is faith that is the gift of God . . .
joshutup
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Post by joshutup »

Jac3510 wrote:No, what I AM asserting is that man has to believe in Christ to be saved, and that Calvinism is a heresy because it denies this basic truth. It ascribes to God the horrible sin of man's rejection of Him, and it denies the basic truth that man must believe to be saved. In Calvinism, man is saved to believe, and that belief is proven by works and sustained faith (even if it falters at times). As such, assurance of salvation is found in one's own works and faith, which are thought to be gifts from God. It is sad and ironic how much stock Calvinism puts in the faith of man by assuming that it is faith that is the gift of God . . .
I'll admit I'm not the most informed about all the aspects of Calvinism, but from what I do know that's not what I got from it at all. Works come from faith, and I always thought that Calvin's argument there was that in a sense where there's smoke there is fire - after all, faith without works is dead. I've never heard any Calvinist say that man is "saved to believe," but if that truly is a Calvinistic viewpoint then you're right to say that it's distorted. I don't think the concept of the elect means that God made our decisions to believe for us, but rather that he knows our hearts well enough to know what our beliefs will be.
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

LowlyOne wrote:Ausgust wrote
Your emphasis seems to be on what man must do to be saved, and not on what God has done in Jesus Christ. Therefore Jesus is not the only way of salvation.

Yes I am emphasising or better yet, focusing on what man must do to be saved. That is biblical, for this question is even found in the bible. The Philipian Jailer to be exact. Here is how a Calvinist must understand the salvation of the Philippian jailer: When the jailer asked what he must do to be saved, he was obviously not yet under the influence of God's irresistible grace, or else he would already have been regenerate and would have already received the sovereign gifts of faith and repentance. Thus he was still totally depraved, always using his freedom to resist God. (That being so, we must wonder why a totally depraved person is sincerely asking what he must do to be saved. If the Calvinist says it is because this totally depraved person is under conviction from God, it must be that God is bestowing “resistible grace” rather than “irresistible grace.” Yet the totally depraved sinner, according to calvinists, will always use his freedom to resist God, so he would never sincerely seek to be saved. This jailer, however, was obviously sincerely seeking.)
If you are making the assumption that the jailer was "sincerely seeking" without any influence from the Holy Spirit, you are reading into the Scripture what you want to. We already saw from the preceding passages that the Holy Spirit was responding to those Christians in jail by causing an earthquake. I can just as easily say that he was influenced by the Holy Spirit to seek.

We also conclude that because the man became a believer, he was sincerely seeking. How do you then distinguish between those that are sincerely seeking, and those that are merely uttering rhetoric, without being circular? You believe that it is through his own power that man can do that, and it gets back to your core arrogant belief that God is dependant on man to determine who will be saved or not. Instead of letting Scripture interpret Scripture, you are reading your own presuppositions into it.

There is no question from Scripture that man, through his fallen nature, cannot by his own power sincerely seek:
Genesis 6:5 “The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.”

Job 15:15-16 “Behold, God puts no trust in his holy ones, and the heavens are not pure in his sight; how much less [God puts trust in] one who is abominable and corrupt, a man who drinks injustice like water!”

Psalm 14:2-4 “The LORD looks down from heaven on the children of man, to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God. They have all turned aside; together they have become corrupt; there is none who does good, not even one. Have they no knowledge, all the evildoers who eat up my people as they eat bread and do not call upon the LORD?”

John 3:3 “Jesus answered him, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again [or “born from above”] he cannot see the kingdom of God.'”

John 6:44 “No one can come to me [Jesus] unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.”

John 6:65 “And he [Jesus] said, 'This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.'”
I guess you think I am building a stawman argument in that thinking man has no action in his own salvation. I know One must believe, by accepting. However, this happens slightly prior to regeneration. At least that's what the bible says.
You are building a strawman by saying that Calvinism teaches that man has no action in his salvation. Provide Scripture for your assertion please.
I'll go over John 1:12 and Acts 16:31 later. However, I do not hold the ability to repent and believe is reproduced, originates or comes from within fallen man. Some Arminians may think so, but that's not Scripture.
Faith comes from God, but not in the Calvist sense, that God only gives saving faith to those he chose for heaven and passes by the rest.
You certainly seem to say that man is the originator of his own salvation, that is what you just said in your passage about the jailer above.

If faith comes from God, and you are saying that He give sit to all people, why do many end up not saved? You are the one arguing here that God's work is ineffectual, yet you accuse Calvinists of saying that grace is resistable?

Why don't you lay out your view of the ordo salutis, with the relevant Scripture to support each point, so that we know where exactly you stand on it?
Ephesians 2:8-9

“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

R.C. Sproul says on page 119 in his book “chosen by God”, that the faith by which we are saved is a gift from God.

Exegesis

So what was Paul referring to when He said “it is the gift of God?” what was the “it” he was talking about? What is the gift of God?

To the woman of Samaria our Master said," If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, Give me a drink; you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water" (John 4:10). Some say "The gift is the living water." Others think it is the gift of the Holy Spirit. In John 7:37 Jesus stood and cried out to all on at the last day of the feast saying “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink.” In John 4:14 He said “but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”

Now it's obvious that all who haven't drank of the water that Jesus gives are thirsty. So Jesus offers this living water to all who are lost, and thirsty. How true is that old hymn that goes “Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world. Red and yellow black and white, they are precious in His sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world” and He loves them enough to save every one of them as well.

Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Here we see that the gift of God is eternal life. So, we can conclude that the living water, the Holy Spirit, and eternal life all comes and is part of what comes with for those that come to Christ on this side of the Resurrection. Finally, we can conclude that the gift of God Paul wrote in Ephesians 2:8 is salvation. The gift of salvation, by grace is the gift.

Even John Calvin said in Calvin's commentaries volume 11 pg 145 of this text that “he (Paul) does not mean that faith is the gift of God, but that salvation is given to us by God, or, that we obtain it by the gift of God. A.T. Robertson noted: “grace is God's part, faith is ours” In addition, it is very clear from the Greek that Paul was not referring to faith as a gift from. For the “that” is neuter in form and cannot refer to “faith” (pistis), which is feminine. Salvation by grace is the ends and faith is the means to apprehend the ends. As a result of what we have discovered other Scriptures saying concerning this specific passage, it is safe to say that Paul was say that “it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this [salvation is] not from/of yourselves, [this salvation] is the gift if God. Jonah 2:9 says “salvation is of the Lord.
You need to explain this to me again, I don't understand the point of your exegesis. You seem to be arguing out of both sides of your mouth. Jesus approached the Samarian woman first, not the other way around. Unless you believe that Jesus was ineffectual in changing the spirit of people He came into contact with and wanted to change, your point is not supported by this passage. Read verses 24 and 25 of the same chapter.

Again, if salvation is from the Lord, how can man resist the work of God? And what enables man to seek in the first place?

From one of your earlier posts:
This is a faulty question by the Calvinist/Reformed Christiand (though it is a good one) because the Calvinist assumes or intentionally makes the two look like they both were in a nuetral state. If this is so, and one gets saved, who can we say made the choice? God only. But, it is erroneous to assume that both sinners are at the same place mentally, and that the condition of their hearts are exactly the same.
There is no such thing as a "neutral" state, yet another misrepresentation from you on what Calvinism teaches. Why is it wrong to assume that man is fallen, I already quoted above where the Scripture confirms that, and it does so in many more places.

As I requested above, please lay out your ordo salutis with supporting Scripture, because I cannot determine what your exact position is, your statements are conflicting, confused and unrelated.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com