The Holy Spirit

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Mystical
Valued Member

The Holy Spirit

Post by Mystical »

What does the Holy Spirit feel like? How do you know you "have the Holy Spirit"? How do you know He is in you?
As kids we were all told in kindergarten that when a frog becomes a prince, that is a fairy tale. But when I was in high school and college, they told us that when a frog becomes a prince, that is science! --Mark Cahill (One Heartbeat Away)
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

Romans 8:12 So then, brothers and sisters, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh 8:13 (for if you live according to the flesh, you will die), but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body you will live. 8:14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are the sons of God. 8:15 For you did not receive the spirit of slavery leading again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption, by whom we cry, “Abba, Father.” 8:16 The Spirit himself bears witness to our spirit that we are God's children. 8:17 And if children, then heirs (namely, heirs of God and also fellow heirs with Christ) — if indeed we suffer with him so we may also be glorified with him.
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

That doesn't really answer my question. :)
As kids we were all told in kindergarten that when a frog becomes a prince, that is a fairy tale. But when I was in high school and college, they told us that when a frog becomes a prince, that is science! --Mark Cahill (One Heartbeat Away)
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

by whom we cry, “Abba, Father.” 8:16 The Spirit himself bears witness to our spirit that we are God's children
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Mystical:

We know we have the HS if we have accepted Christ as our Savior. All Christians are indwelt. As you go through the process of discipleship, you learn to recognize His leading more and more. I don't want to sound mysical (no pun intended) at all about this . . . but there is a type of wisdom that comes with spiritual maturity. You begin to "feel" His presence in you.

Now, we are commanded once in the Bible to be filled with the Spirit. While all Christians are indwelt, not all are filled. To be filled, one must submit himself fully to the Lordship of Christ and abide in Him. Filling is not a one time shot . . . it comes from the constant drinking of the well, so to speak. As you progress in your faith, you will find that you will be walking in His power and guidance more and more. You will find yourself desiring the things of God and being conformed to the image of His Son. You will find yourself bearing the fruit of the Spirit, etc. But all this, again, is predicated on discipleship.

Hope that helps.

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

I ask because I seem to be running into more and more "Christians" who believe they have the "Holy Spirit" but are living contrary to God's word; unless they told you, you wouldn't know they are Christians. They must not have the Spirit. But, I don't know how to explain this to them. They don't believe me, they are insulted when I tell them they do not have a relationship with Christ. I get answers like, "I go to church," or, "I believe in God." What can I do or say? It's harder to lead those who believe in God, than those who do not.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

If they are Christians then they do "have the Spirit." All Christians are indwelt. That doesn't mean that every Christian "walks in life" or that eveyr Christian bears fruit (of the Spirit). That is totally determined by the filling of the Spirit, not merely the indwelling, which is in turn determined by one's level of personal discipleship.

You have to ask two separate questions to people on this. First, to find out if the person is indwelt, ask them if they've ever trusted Christ alone for their salvation totally apart from any commitment or repentance or works on their part. Have they ever trusted the simple Gospel message and received the free gift of eternal life? If they have not, but instead, salvation, for them, is based on repentance and commitment of life, then they are not saved (assuming they never actually had that simple belief) and need to be born again by the acceptance of that promise.

Once you have confirmed that they have been born again, then assess their lifestyles. Are they bearing fruit? Do they show love for the brethren? If not, then you know that they are not filled with the Spirit, and they need to commit their lives to true discipleship. If, on the other hand, they do, then you can safely say that these people are being filled with the Holy Spirit.

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.