Deist or Agnostic

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Venom
Newbie Member

Deist or Agnostic

Post by Venom »

Just took the atheist test, what can I say.. if I'm not an atheist and I'm an Agnostic instead then you all must be as well right?

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... stest.html

Edit, one of those stupid words that ignore i before e except after c.
Last edited by Venom on Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ark~Magic
Established Member

RE:

Post by Ark~Magic »

Topic: Dietist or Agnostic
LOL, you mean deist, not dietist, that's the religion of Jenny Craig.

Edit: You still have it wrong. It's Deist, not Deitist.
Prodigal Son
Christian: No

Post by Prodigal Son »

what atheist test? is it better to be an atheist over an agnostic?
New Creation
2 Corinthians 5:7
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Re: Deitist or Agnostic

Post by Christian2 »

Venom wrote:Just took the athiest test, what can I say.. if I'm not an atheist and I'm an Agnostic instead then you all must be as well right?
What is this test? What is the difference between an atheist and an agnostic? I met someone on a different discussion board and he calls himself a scientific agnostic. Do you what that would be?

Thanks.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

People are just looking to make up names now. It's all out of the Greek context of words. Mixing words together and voila', a new name. I don't care anymore. They can make all those stupid names they want.
black wolf
Newbie Member

Post by black wolf »

different religions and philosophies have different names - that's the way human intelligence works, whether you like it or not.
simply put: the agnostic says, i don't know if there's a God or not; the atheist says, i know that there is no God.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Black Wolf,
the agnostic says, i don't know if there's a God or not; the atheist says, i know that there is no God.
From the web:

Agnosticism is the philosophical and theological view that spiritual truths, such as the existence of God, gods or deities, is either unknown or inherently unknowable.

An atheist is someone who believes that there is no God.

Look how close these definitions are. Neither one really believes that there is a god. The person who claims to be an agnostic is merely sitting on a safe fence. Sounds like a cop out to me.

I once had a guy who claimed to be an atheist tell me that the reason he calls himself one is because he doesn't believe in a personal god. Another cop out.

But, then why do Christians believe in God? What proof do we have? Is it just a matter of faith? Do we believe there is a God because we want to believe it because we want to believe that there is life after death?
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

I think it was Gordon Stein, noted atheist, who said in a debate that an atheist is someone who believes that there is insufficient evidence for the existence of God. The reason he said that is if he said that atheists simply believe there is no God, they have to prove that they have looked at all evidence, everywhere in the universe to make that absolute statement, and they obviously can't. To remain logically consistent, he changed the definition, and it closely resembles that of an agnostic, but not quite the same.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

August wrote:I think it was Gordon Stein, noted atheist, who said in a debate that an atheist is someone who believes that there is insufficient evidence for the existence of God. The reason he said that is if he said that atheists simply believe there is no God, they have to prove that they have looked at all evidence, everywhere in the universe to make that absolute statement, and they obviously can't. To remain logically consistent, he changed the definition, and it closely resembles that of an agnostic, but not quite the same.
Most Athiest's beleive that a personal God is rediculous, like a childrens story to put our minds at ease.

Agnostics do not take this stance because, after all things like the Koran or Bible may after all be true.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Most Athiest's beleive that a personal God is rediculous, like a childrens story to put our minds at ease.
I don't think it's limited to a personal god. They deny all things immaterial, normally.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Even if there is psychological benefit to believing in God, it does not show in any way that such a belief is false.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

August wrote:
I don't think it's limited to a personal god. They deny all things immaterial, normally.
Sadly yes. But what conceit to profess to know the truth.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Resident Atheist
Familiar Member

Post by Resident Atheist »

I'm actually an agnostic atheist. Yes it's a real thing to be.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

What's next, an atheist-deist?
"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. And that is my religion."
-Abe Lincoln