Why try?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Brigham
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Why try?

Post by Brigham »

Hi, this is kind of a spin-off from Jay-7s post on babies going to hell. Jesus said "be like little children". so I believe those who are little children, or have the mentalitly of them (like the mentally impared), as well as those who havent heard of Jesus, are judged differently. I dont really have a problem, just want some input in case i am asked: If those who havent heard of Jesus are judged easier, or given choice between heaven and hell when they are before God himself, then isnt it better for you NOT to tell them the word? seeing as they will go to hell for rejecting what you tell them, but will have it easy if they know nothing at all. I know its better to tell them the word, as it is what we are told to do, just wanted some input. Thanks :)

God bless!

-Brigham
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I don't think it is right to lump mature persons who haven't heard the Gospel in the same category as small children. Paul is clear that those able to respond to God in any sense and don't, that such stand condemned for their lack of response to God as indicated in Romans 1:18-20.

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Brigham
Recognized Member

Post by Brigham »

I'm sorry I wasnt more clear. I agree Kurieuo, I think theres the Immature group (Children and some mentally impared), the Group that hasnt heard the Word, and the group that has. I just meant the first 2 were judged differently from us(Mature having heard the Word), but i also believe that the second group (mature but hasnt heard the Word)is definatly judged harsher than the 1st (immature) group.
Like this:

Immature (children & mentally impaired) -Judged easiest if at all

Mature but haven't heard the Word - Judged "Moderately"

Mature having heard the Word(Me & most of you)-Judged Harshest

Still the question may arise, If knowing the Word makes for a harder judgment, Why isnt it better to just leave those people in the blank?

-Brigham
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

If we get judged, then I would say it is more that we will all be found to be missing the mark required for God's standard. The immature are guilty (according to doctrine of inherited sin). The mature are also guilty regardless of whether they have heard the Gospel. It's just a matter of whether we desire to be with God and so accept Christ's payment to redeem us from our guilt.

Now Scripture is clear that all who reject Christ's gift (John 3:36) or insults God's grace (Hebrews 10:29; James 2:12-13) stand condemned. Scripture is also fairly clear that those who have not heard the Gospel are lost, for they do not know of God's gift of forgiveness so have not received it—they are like the prodigal son only they haven't returned to the Father. Now if a person dies lost, then I see several options as to their salvation:

1) Those who had not heard the Gospel but responded positively to God's natural revelation and their moral conscience while alive, I believe would undoubtly accept and receive Christ's forgiveness when presented with the choice.

2) Those who didn't respond positively to God's natural revelation and their moral conscience are lost, and I believe would reject Christ for:
  • i) They would not really know who He is, and so likely fear and run from His presence rather than be at peace and run towards Him. To illustrate this point, consider an example involving my pet budgies which I have hand raised. When I first get one, they are entirely scared when I go near them or attempt to hand tame them, and they do all they can to get away by struggling, biting, flying for they don't know I mean no harm. Yet as time goes on and I handle them, feed them, and treat them lovingly, they begin to learn I mean them no harm and become more friendly. In their own small ways they reciprocate back by kissing, perching on my shoulder and chattering away, or even flying to me when they get frightened. Now I see our relationship with God in similar light. Someone who has had no contact with God, who knows absolutely nothing about Him, who has denied every glimpse of Him and pursued their own immoral desires... when such a person comes into direct contact with God's presence, God will be to them more a scarey beast rather than a loving Father with their best interests at heart. Given this, they will reject and run from God rather than desire or accept Him.

ii) They would likely think they weren't really that bad. Thus, they would see no reason to accept Christ's forgiveness and so be judged accordingly without Christ.

iii) Many will be insulted or bitter towards God holding them to a righteous standard. Some may think God is just an egoistic person who wants everyone to submit to Him. For reasons such as this they essentially see no need to accept Christ's forgiveness, and some certainly wouldn't want any part of the God of their misconceptions. Their own selfishness and arrogance cloud their picture of who God is, and such will be accordingly judged without Christ and given their own desires to be apart from God.

iv) If they are non-responsive to any aspect of God in this life, why would they change in the next? It just doesn't make sense to me that they would all of a sudden turn around to desire God. One doesn't need to hear the Gospel in order to reject God, for God makes Himself known to us in other ways which can be clearly rejected. For example, we can knowingly go against our conscience of what is right and good to persue or own selfish desires (Romans 2:14-15), and thus we willingly go against God and stand condemned.
For these reasons, and others like them, I see far less probabililty that someone who hasn't heard the Gospel would have a greater chance of being saved. Rather telling people the good news that by God's grace through Christ their sins have been forgiven, and that God the loving Father that He is simply wants them to return to Him... such helps many to understand who God really is, and to understand that though they fail to add up to His standard that they have been made alright with God who freely provided another way so He can accept us as we are.

3) Those who were incapable of understanding (children, mentally impaired or psychologically affected) would also die lost. However, I believe God may actually keep such persons in His presence and become aquainted with them. After this, if any opposed God or wanted to be away from Him (as unbelievable as this may seem to us who love God, recall that one third of the angels in God's direct presence turned against Him), then they would be given their choice and cast out from God's presence.

Now someone might well ask how do I come to all these conclusions? I have thought carefully throughout time on such issues, and believe the above is both Scripturally consistent and sounds entirely reasonable. If there is a better way to understand the issues I've touched upon in light of God's righteousness and lovingness, then I am open to hearing them.

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Brigham
Recognized Member

Post by Brigham »

Awesome Kurieuo. That answered it for me. Thank you so much for taking the time!