Horizon and not so probable matters

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Horizon and not so probable matters

Post by Silvertusk »

For all you brits out there. Just watched Horizon on the BBC which was about the ID movement and the case In Dover USA. Looks like they have suffered another blow.

Also Dembski was talking about the probability of life forming on earth - (i.e. impossible) but Kenneth Miller critique of that was that because they were working out the probablility backwards from what they can see now then it doesn't follow logically. For instance - If I were to deal out a pack of cards in a certain order - you could say that the chances of the cards being dealt in that exact order are impossible - giving the odds. But it happened. And it is probably right - I would never be able to deal the cards in that order again. But that is because I was trying to work out the probablity backwards from a sitation I have already arrived at.

Anybody got any comments on this?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Dover went beyond what ID proponents wanted, so it wasn't a blow to the movement-just to those who go beyond ID.

And Kenneth Miller likes to misrepresent ID so I'm not sure bout him.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Yes I know the court case didn't really refute any of the ID arguements. But I was wondering if anybody had any comments on what Miller said about probability?

God Bless

Silvertusk