Hell – is it Relevant Today?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Post by B. W. »

B.W. wrote:Yes, it makes sense but before we continue I would like to explore Cook's ideas more.

I was wondering if Adam and Eve were in some type of spiritual adolescent stage of development where God, being fair and just, righteous and just, merciful and perfect in all His ways — foreknew they would rebel at a certain time? And according to God, He had a plan in place to restore those in humanity when each reaches this state of spiritual adolescents that have learned the cost of rebelling and accept God's act of redemption?

This make sense? Understand?
Locker wrote:Cook has a great point on how we grow and how kids grow. I would say that God saw our spiritual adolescent age as well as Adams and Eve's. Maybe that is the point of the doctrine of the age of accountability?

Sorry to be off line the past few daz's - been busy with work and family...

Question: In the arena we spoke about, would God need to punish forever those who walk away from God of their own free will? How would this come about?
Cook wrote: Was eating the fruit of the tree of life a rebellion though? Or was it an error of judgment, a lack of wisdom? There is a difference to me, and it seems to have importance in the question of God's justice and attitude toward sinners. Eve didn't insolently say to herself, "Who does God think he is, telling us what to do, what to eat and not eat? That old fart can't tell me what to do." She found herself with reasons that seemed sensible: the tree was good for food, it was pleasant to the eyes, it was to be desired to make one wise.

Is it always rebellion when we sin -- don't follow God's will -- or is there an amount of immature choosing (spiritual adolescence, yes, or even spiritual childhood)? Where does one end and the other begin? What is God's attitude toward these two ways of falling short of His will (if it can be said there is this distinction)?
This is a great point to consider Cook. Was eating the fruit of the tree of life a rebellion though? Or was it an error of judgment, a lack of wisdom? As I see it, Eve saw what seemed sensible: the tree was good for food, it was pleasant to the eyes, it was to be desired to make one wise.

Now correlate to Luke 4:1-13 when Jesus was tempted in the same manner — saw what would be good for food — turn stones into bread, saw what would be pleasant to the eyes — the glory of power, and the desire to make one wiser than all creation because to be that wise is tempting God — hence to be able thwart all consequences for ones actions and deeds with such wisdom.

Adam and Eve rebelled against God. How, they no longer depended on God as their source but instead chose to depend on own resources. Next, they no longer worshiped - served - God and ended up exchanging true purpose / meaning for their lives and traded this for visions of power so grand. Finally, they traded submitting to God and exchanged this to become so very wise, that they could manipulate God and avoid all consequence for their actions: after all God loved them — did He not?

As I see it, rebellion connotes an active, conscientious, persistent choice to reject God and they did so.
Cook wrote: Rebellion connotes an active, conscientious, persistent choice to reject God to me. For instance, didn't Jesus at one point warn people that didn't believe him that they were arriving at the parting of ways? The people would have been in a state of childhood / adolescent choosing, not sure what to do, but he was warning them that their continued refusal was amounting to a rejection of the light he brought to them. A rebellion. And that hardness of heart and refusal is perhaps the "children closing their hearts to him".

Yes, I can see this — people choosing to reject and refuse the light brought to them and closing their hearts to God.

I'll continue in next frame as you have posted so many profound thoughts :)
-
-
-
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Cook wrote: I don't know if I would phrase it in terms of, would God have foreknown that people would rebel. Instead, would he know the extent that people are adolescents or even children in spiritual matters? He is our Father and in the concept of God being our Father -- especially with his infinite attributes of omniscience, seeing the end from the beginning -- I think his understanding as a Father is certainly able to distinguish the ways we are prone to fall short of His will as spiritual adolescents / children. Like any father, the attitude toward this aspect of sinfulness would be to lead the child toward wiser choosing. That is ultimately up to the person to accept or reject, and sometimes punishment is necessary, but even such punishment from a divine parent would be for corrective purposes toward this sort of sinner who is still in the process of choosing, wouldn't it?, instead of judicial retribution. The school of hard knocks again, perhaps.

We know for a certainty from Jesus' life that he had great compassion and love for sinners. To me I can comprehend this in that he said he and the Father were one. He was able to demonstrate and live with fatherly love toward sinners instead of seeing everyone in default and rebellion per se.
Yes, I can see this when God made the first sacrifice for sins in the Garden of Eden and clothed Adam and Eve. He was in essences telling humanity that only God can provide the way back and clothe us with his righteousness.

This would be another test, a test to try future generations to see if they'll return to God or continue turning stones into bread, or seeking the glories of power / renown to find purpose and meaning for life rather than serve God. A test to see if they would continue to tempt God by exercising grand wisdom to avoid the consequences of actions and deeds rather than submit to the love and wisdom of God.

I see that He offers everyone a chance, even though He already knows the answer, He still offers. That is God's fairness and true justice cleanly displayed. No wonder He weeps for the lost and pleads with them to return. The choice to return to God, or not, would still be the person's own. God's great justice governed by His love and refined by His righteousness would honor those that chose to remain lost to be lost forever.
Cook wrote: Locker, you ask about whether God would need to punish forever those who walk away from God of their own free will. I think one of those interesting aspects of God's nature that Jesus showed and which people before him didn't quite understand is that God does not necessarily look to punish always and he even is longing that people come to him and be in the family. He acts accordingly, and like the shepherd that has one sheep that leaves, he goes in search of his straying children. From the prodigal son story is a message that the Father is always open to the return of his children, and from the parable of the lost sheep is the message that even before the children are looking to return, He is looking for them.

I think it is almost looking at a very narrow case, the idea of considering what punishment is appropriate to those who walk away from God, because these would be the people who have finally and permanently hardened their hearts to God.

Likely the far vaster pool of people are ones in confusion, who do not know their Father well (or at all). B.W., you speak in terms of a redemptive plan God would have had even prior to default, but what about the plans to seek for these lost sheep, to restore them to the family? Certainly sending his Son into the world to minister to sinners and be a light to those in darkness is also a part of the plan. "I came to call the sinners, not the righteous," Jesus said during his life.

And this seems to also lead to our roles, a more day-to-day reality to consider. The question of how God finally punishes people who turn from him is perhaps a mental exercise for that narrow band, and I think it may put things on a plane where we are not really participants. Are we to guess or are we to persistently grow in the light Jesus has given us so that we can be a brighter light to others and bring them from darkness? How do we know what is in the hearts of our brothers and sisters and whether they really truly have permanently rebelled? To all observers, the thief on the cross next to Jesus was hopelessly lost, but he responded to the light in the last hours, and even this rebel was restored to the family.
Well, IMHO the secret or mystery of this could be best understood by exploring what constitutes God's Justice, Righteousness, Love, Grace, and perfect fairness. I think it is here where we humans miss God and fail to reflect the light of Christ. God's love is deep and vast. We are to reflect it but how midst this world full of hate, malice envy, darkness, etc...?
-
-
-
Cook
Familiar Member

Post by Cook »

B.W. wrote:Adam and Eve rebelled against God. How, they no longer depended on God as their source but instead chose to depend on own resources. Next, they no longer worshiped - served - God and ended up exchanging true purpose / meaning for their lives and traded this for visions of power so grand. Finally, they traded submitting to God and exchanged this to become so very wise, that they could manipulate God and avoid all consequence for their actions: after all God loved them — did He not?

As I see it, rebellion connotes an active, conscientious, persistent choice to reject God and they did so.
I do not so clearly see the rebellion in their action, definitely not, say, as Satan was a rebel, or people who defiantly choose to reject light and embrace selfishness in a persistent way, as did the Pharisees in Jesus' day who hypocritically claimed to "see." I am much less certain than you that it was a rebellion. Maybe it is only a terminology & semantics difference between us though.

What I think is the more important thing to consider is this again. "Is it always rebellion when we sin -- don't follow God's will -- or is there an amount of immature choosing (spiritual adolescence, yes, or even spiritual childhood)? Where does one end and the other begin? What is God's attitude toward these two ways of falling short of His will (if it can be said there is this distinction)?"

It becomes related to punishment / hell issues, I'm interested to hear your view.
Cook wrote:And this seems to also lead to our roles, a more day-to-day reality to consider. The question of how God finally punishes people who turn from him is perhaps a mental exercise for that narrow band, and I think it may put things on a plane where we are not really participants. Are we to guess or are we to persistently grow in the light Jesus has given us so that we can be a brighter light to others and bring them from darkness? How do we know what is in the hearts of our brothers and sisters and whether they really truly have permanently rebelled? To all observers, the thief on the cross next to Jesus was hopelessly lost, but he responded to the light in the last hours, and even this rebel was restored to the family.
B.W. wrote:Well, IMHO the secret or mystery of this could be best understood by exploring what constitutes God's Justice, Righteousness, Love, Grace, and perfect fairness. I think it is here where we humans miss God and fail to reflect the light of Christ. God's love is deep and vast. We are to reflect it but how midst this world full of hate, malice envy, darkness, etc...?
In my perspective, a large part of our understanding of God is gotten in the arena of this world by our growth in understanding and loving our neighbors. If we learn to love and serve other people as Jesus loved and served people we come to realize -- through direct experience -- how God also loves people. IMO if we come to see that God is our Father and the people around us are literally our brothers and sisters in the family of God, then it becomes our highest privilege and honor to try and bring our light to those who are darkened with hate, malice, envy. Even if they are "brats".

How are we to reflect it? That always depends on the situation I think and I don't know of a formula either. We know that we are to return good for evil and to resist not evil. In my view, this becomes possible again through realization that what we are dealing with are not enemies but people who are just as loved by God as we are, though they have not discovered it yet. We also have the example of many people before us for inspiration and study. For instance in the U.S. less than 50 years ago is the example of people that were systematically enslaved, humiliated, hated, lynched over many generations. I have never faced such things in my life and don't know my own ability to face "bitter cups", like these people and other people have faced. But under leadership of Christian leaders, they met this darkness with light, with nonviolence, and with the love of Christ toward their enemies.
Locker
Recognized Member

Post by Locker »

Cook wrote: I do not so clearly see the rebellion in their action, definitely not, say, as Satan was a rebel, or people who defiantly choose to reject light and embrace selfishness in a persistent way, as did the Pharisees in Jesus' day who hypocritically claimed to "see." I am much less certain than you that it was a rebellion. Maybe it is only a terminology & semantics difference between us though.

What I think is the more important thing to consider is this again. "Is it always rebellion when we sin -- don't follow God's will -- or is there an amount of immature choosing (spiritual adolescence, yes, or even spiritual childhood)? Where does one end and the other begin? What is God's attitude toward these two ways of falling short of His will (if it can be said there is this distinction)?"

It becomes related to punishment / hell issues, I'm interested to hear your view
One thing I like about this thread, is that we can explore these issues as explorers and avoid all the heat of dogma! This is sure refreshing :D

Cook - that is a good point - "Is it always rebellion when we sin -- don't follow God's will -- or is there an amount of immature choosing (spiritual adolescence, yes, or even spiritual childhood)? Where does one end and the other begin?"

Cook and B. W. - could the term 'rebellion' - be a 'metaphor' for sin? I see your point - most people sin without knowing it. If not knowing it, then how could it be rebellion? But does ignorance exonerate sinners from eternal punishment? If ignorance does, then would that be classified as a work of human beings and nullify Ephesians 2:2-10?
Cook wrote:And this seems to also lead to our roles, a more day-to-day reality to consider. The question of how God finally punishes people who turn from him is perhaps a mental exercise for that narrow band, and I think it may put things on a plane where we are not really participants. Are we to guess or are we to persistently grow in the light Jesus has given us so that we can be a brighter light to others and bring them from darkness? How do we know what is in the hearts of our brothers and sisters and whether they really truly have permanently rebelled? To all observers, the thief on the cross next to Jesus was hopelessly lost, but he responded to the light in the last hours, and even this rebel was restored to the family.
I always find comfort in this fact, "To all observers, the thief on the cross next to Jesus was hopelessly lost, but he responded to the light in the last hours, and even this rebel was restored to the family."

Cook - how do you view God's love?
B.W. wrote:Well, IMHO the secret or mystery of this could be best understood by exploring what constitutes God's Justice, Righteousness, Love, Grace, and perfect fairness. I think it is here where we humans miss God and fail to reflect the light of Christ. God's love is deep and vast. We are to reflect it but how midst this world full of hate, malice envy, darkness, etc...?
True...
Cook wrote:In my perspective, a large part of our understanding of God is gotten in the arena of this world by our growth in understanding and loving our neighbors. If we learn to love and serve other people as Jesus loved and served people we come to realize -- through direct experience -- how God also loves people. IMO if we come to see that God is our Father and the people around us are literally our brothers and sisters in the family of God, then it becomes our highest privilege and honor to try and bring our light to those who are darkened with hate, malice, envy. Even if they are "brats".

How are we to reflect it? That always depends on the situation I think and I don't know of a formula either. We know that we are to return good for evil and to resist not evil. In my view, this becomes possible again through realization that what we are dealing with are not enemies but people who are just as loved by God as we are, though they have not discovered it yet. We also have the example of many people before us for inspiration and study. For instance in the U.S. less than 50 years ago is the example of people that were systematically enslaved, humiliated, hated, lynched over many generations. I have never faced such things in my life and don't know my own ability to face "bitter cups", like these people and other people have faced. But under leadership of Christian leaders, they met this darkness with light, with nonviolence, and with the love of Christ toward their enemies.
Very good point! If you find the formula - tell me!

Ecc chapter 3 does tell us there is a time for war - a time for peace; A time to plant and a time to tear down. Only through God can we decipherer the correct time - IMHO.

If we are too much like doormats - then - we will lose our salt!

Shouldn't we also warn of sin's consequences too?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Cook and Locker,

I'll respond soon but right now my father is not doing well. He has a terminal illness and it is a question of when rather than how long.

I'll be on and off line and will add more to thread when I can but for now, I am tied up for the time being.

God Bless!
Locker
Recognized Member

Post by Locker »

B. W. wrote:Cook and Locker,

I'll respond soon but right now my father is not doing well. He has a terminal illness and it is a question of when rather than how long.

I'll be on and off line and will add more to thread when I can but for now, I am tied up for the time being.

God Bless!
Sorry to hear this - I'll be praying for you and family.

I have the flu now but let's continue thread anyways...

Question:

Does God's Love - Agape - mean unbridled tolerance and acceptance?

What does God's Love - Agape - mean?

I heard Dennis Prager's radio show the other day and He had a good point that it is impossible that love can be unconditional - so what does God's love mean in the light of this thread topic's and eternal punishment?

Ah-chew, sniffle, and groan.. add a cough for sound effects! Why do we get colds and flu if God Loves us????
Cook
Familiar Member

Post by Cook »

B.W. I'm terribly sorry to hear the news and hope that you and your family have increased strength in this time, as well as ever growing faith that despite the sad and even painful episodes of this life, in the grand scheme of things we're all in good hands.

I also haven't been able to get back here much in recent weeks. I won't get ahead of your opportunity to post, we don't have to be speed demons in figuring out these interesting concepts. Whenever you want to get back to the topic, that's fine, I get these email reminders about the new posts and will come back.

In the meantime, Locker, I'll at least give my answer to a question you asked me before, and it also gets into what you just asked in your last post. How things seem from my perspective, at least. Maybe you can share your view as well (in your spare time between eating chicken soup and getting plenty of rest :) ).
Locker wrote:Cook - how do you view God's love?
I said a few posts ago on 12/18 that I had another thought about the parable of the prodigal son, and afterwards I didn't have a chance to write about it. Also it was maybe an observation that was not relevant to how the thread was going at the time. But it answers the question you asked, so I'll offer this other thought that came to me.

In Luke 15:11-32 Jesus tells us the story. The aspect of it I think that most gets our attention is how this lost son, despite his severe errors and his wasteful squanderings, is lovingly received by the Father beyond all expectations. The Father is overjoyed to have the son back safely. I think many of us can identify with the lost son, and the parable is a much appreciated source of hope and encouragement. Maybe we haven't messed up as badly as the prodigal son did, but we're no angels, and it is reassuring to know that the Father is on our side even when we have made mistakes and don't feel like we deserve his affection.

How do I view God's love? I view God's love as Fatherly.

But I can say that and still it is not a sufficient answer quite. The second half of the parable is a strange one but holds an important lesson in my view. We are told about the dutiful son's reaction to this display of the father's love -- the son is completely confused and angry! His reaction to his father is, to paraphrase: "I've be working my fingers to the bone for you! Whatever you say, I do. You say jump, I say 'how high.' And for what? When have you thrown a party for me? Now my dumb brother who partied and spent all his inheritance on whores has come back and you throw him a party!?!"

I am sympathetic to this other brother's confusion. :lol:

What I note is that though the brother is dutiful he has made the same error as the prodigal son. The prodigal son reasoned to himself as he was starving, before coming back home, "My father has servants who do better than this. I'll go back and tell him, 'Dad, I'm not worthy of being your son anymore. Just let me be like one of your servants.'" He repented and came back. And he was entirely unprepared for the father's reaction because he had not realized the true depth of fatherly love.

The dutiful brother also is thinking in terms of what is right and wrong, what is "fair", what is the appropriate judgment that should be rendered on the prodigal son, since he also does not fully appreciate the depth and true significance of the Father's love.

How do I view God's love? I view it as Fatherly, but since we are likely mere babes and children before him spiritually, how are we able to fully grasp the significance and true extent of His affection? When we are kids we sometimes see our good parents on earth here as stern and angry, not penetrating that they are angry, for instance, when we run across the street without looking both ways not in a way that a judge or cop would view a jaywalker but from far-sighted parental love. How in the world can finite little bits of dust like us ever hope to come to a full understanding of the infinite and eternal Father in this life?

I do not know the answer, and I am wary about those who think that they do. I'm wary when people say this or that judgment is a requirement, especially judgments of eternal torture, because this is the talk of the dutiful son. Here is the supreme wisdom, in my view, when the Light of the World taught us, "Judge not." I have a viewpoint that this pronouncement is very much for our good because when we judge we demarcate the limits of our understanding of love and mercy and not God's actual limits. Some will point to old verses about such and such a judgment being necessary or this or that apostle's pronouncement but I go by the words of the Light of the World with this and I leave the judgment to God. Not because of permissiveness but because my heart and mind and soul sees in the temptation to judge a temptation to presume to think I know the limits of the Father's love. Instead I return constantly to the supreme commandment from the Son of God and it is to love others as he loved people, even our enemies and those who curse us.

I think humankind has long engaged in the struggle to understand the real nature of God. I think sometimes people have prematurely claimed to have found the limits of the Father's love and one way this manifests is in their declarations of how the divine and eternal God judges. But they are not divine, not eternal, not the Father.

I say I don't know the answer about what are the limits of God's love but I find the clearest example of the Father's love in the life and in the teachings of his Son Jesus, the true vine, the good shepherd. He who has seen the Son has seen the Father.

The thought I had about the story of the prodigal son is that I could imagine the insertion of Jesus as a third son into the story. Not that he is our equal, but that he is a pattern for what a good son does, and what we must strive to become, even in this dark world. A good son knows the father perfectly and loves his brothers with a full affection as does the father. When the prodigal son presumes to foolishly leave and take his inheritance, the divine son also asks for his inheritance that he might spend it all in a search for the lost brother, in service toward the Father's will that "none should perish." And the Father so loves the world that he sends his son into the world to search for the lost.

The divine son even journeys through the same foreign lands and temptations that the lost son has journeyed through and succumbed to, but the faith of the divine son is perfect, and in all ways he is tested, even as the prodigal sons are tested, but in the end he is able to "conquer this world" and he becomes the living way, truth, and the life through his perfect life and love and his service. His way is to love the Father with all your heart, your mind, and your soul, and to love your neighbors as yourself. And in the completion of his life work and the fullness of his search, he even is willing to provide the ultimate service and act of love for even the lost children of his Father who are in darkness and the foreign land. He even is willing to give his life to bring light to those in darkness.

When this light is brought before the prodigal son, that imperfect son still must muster his faith that Jesus is a correct representation of the Father's love. The divine Son does not coerce and in all his efforts only can ultimately "knock" and delight that the prodigal sons answer and repent and come back to the Father. Unlike the parable, to extend things in this modified version, the prodigal son is still is in the foreign land and on accepting the light of the divine Son, on being born of the spirit, there is also a realization that others in the land are also without light and like the divine Son he has to labor in the foreign land before going to the Father. And this labor is one of service and of becoming a light to those in darkness.

Meanwhile the dutiful son is back at the ranch, what is his reaction when it comes to the realization of what the divine Son has dared to do? Not to only stick to what is personally safe but to put all inheritance on the line in the difficult search for the lost brother. Even to give His life itself for the search of the wasteful and fallen brother. The dutiful son also must repent and come to realize that his self-righteousness is not of the Father but of his own imperfect view of justice that is developed in an imperfect comprehension of love, mercy, and far-sighted understanding. The divine Son is a challenge to both the prodigal son and the dutiful son. The dutiful sons must be able to forgive and put aside personal conjectures and anger about judgment for selfless service instead and growth in a realization of the Father's true love.

Locker, you ask, "does God's love mean unbridled tolerance and acceptance?" ... And you also made a comment before about "not being too much like doormats".

I can only offer my personal perspective on this and think everybody is responsible for their own actions before God, each person has to arrive at their conclusion as best they can. I always err on being more tolerant and on forgiving others rather than judging and condemning. I consider God looking at me as a part of his family and so am compelled to see others in this way also -- consider others as in His family, even if lost or in darkness -- and not a judicial governmental way. I have further to go in getting better in this practice, it is tricky and not easy, but what I notice is that others to me now seem like they pull back on tolerance much too quickly. Often it is not for what I consider good reasons, but mainly because they personally don't want to be "made a fool". It is impossible to be "made a fool" if you accept by faith the dignity of being in God's family. In being passed a bitter cup by unthinking and unbelieving other people, prayer is the same as Jesus' in Gethsemane, "Not my will, but Your will be done", and trust and faith in the divine Son's teachings to us to return good for evil, be a light. And often I consider how trivial my ego and so forth is compared to the pattern of Jesus, that good Son who even submitted to the rankest injustices and humiliations without complaint, even death, with love toward his enemies until the end.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Cook wrote:B.W. I'm terribly sorry to hear the news and hope that you and your family have increased strength in this time, as well as ever growing faith that despite the sad and even painful episodes of this life, in the grand scheme of things we're all in good hands.

I also haven't been able to get back here much in recent weeks. I won't get ahead of your opportunity to post, we don't have to be speed demons in figuring out these interesting concepts. Whenever you want to get back to the topic, that's fine, I get these email reminders about the new posts and will come back.
Thank you for your prayers. My father is still not doing well but is hanging in there. No one really knows the big when will be except the Lord. My father's heart is failing. When I was out visiting, he slipped into a coma but suddenly came out of it and since has been slowly showing more signs of heart failure - swollen ankles feet - coughing - sleeping more - restlessness...

He cannot walk anymore but can be in a wheel chair. He is in an Alhiemzer's care Center still under Hospice care. His ALZ is become more pronounced too.

I returned home to take care of things I need too. Let's say, when the phone rings - I get nervous thinking I'll get that phone call. I wish I could be out there helping him more but job and family demand otherwise. It is a time of waiting. I pray that the Lord will take him home soon so he does not have to suffer like he has and also have his memory restored.

I miss talking with him like I used to do years ago before the Alhiemzers came. This will have to wait till heaven.

I'll post a response to you guys in a few minutes regarding the thread's topic where Cook left off.

God Bless!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Cook and Locker, I'll post a thread from my Blog I wrote concerning God's love that you all may find interesting as it relates to our discussion as how we are to love our neighbor, God's Love, and Hell's punishment.

Here is the post from my blog: Note - it is directed more to a seeking Christian or the unsaved...who would be reading my Blog but for you it sums up the questions and leads to more for our discussion.

Also I edited it a bit more.. Here it is

From My Blog:

The thought of eternal punishment and hell, for many, is repugnant. The question arises, how can a loving God sentence anyone there? The problem with this line of thinking is that it measures God's love by our own standards and thus fails to grasp the deep nature of God's love. However, how can we grasp God's great love if not by our own personal concepts of love? The answer is simple - you cannot.

Instead, you can only gain a limited insight into the vastness of God's love by comparing it to our own. From this, a person must go beyond his or her personal concept of love and explore the nature of God's love along with God's nature and character, form the Judaic/Christian tradition; this is discovered in the Holy Scriptures.

If you love your own children, do you place boundaries for their own protection and learning? How do you instruct them right from wrong? No one human can live inside their prodigy and make them 'behave' and do the 'right thing'. Parents can only do so much because their children will be off doing their own things unseen from their parent's eyes.

Children learn by doing and parents can only, love, nurture, correct, guide, and let go. True Godly love does likewise: allows the child to make their own decisions; weeping as they see them fail, rejoicing when they get it right. How do Children learn right and wrong? By seeing the standards for right and wrong that their own parents live by and also from the experience gained by rebellion, correction, and loving approval.

Love will correct the child. Neglect avoids correction. Love is kind and suffers long. Love does not demand its own way as it knows it has to let the child learn from experience what is truly right and really wrong. Love creates freedom so the recipient of love can learn what its responsibilities truly consist of. Love creates boundaries not unbridled tolerance. Unrestrained lenience creates slavery's tyranny not freedom.

For example, a son grows and becomes an adult; then, the ideal loving parents watch their son go live out and live his life on his own. Now, if the parent's son were too 'commit' a horrible crime as an adult, are the good parents to blame? The answer would be 'no' in the case I just stated.

The parents would still love their son but must understand that their grown son's decisions was his own, not theirs. Love would not take into account the wrong but neither would love blindly accept him if he remains unchanged. If they could, they would do whatever it takes to change the outcome of their son's acts and fate.

Love is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love will do whatever it takes to create a new heart and change of ways when the one loved strays from the boundaries of real love. That is love in action.

What kind of act of love would it take to change the loving parent's son? If possible, the parents would desire to exchange places with their own son and even die in his stead if he could be but only reformed by this loving act.

We are all God's children. Truly, God so loved the world that he sent Jesus for this very purpose, to restore and redeem. Now, if the parent's child rejected this last act of love — what then? What about you and God concerning this matter? Love allows you to decide to live in light or darkness. What will it be?

True love teaches responsibilities without any so called 'stoppage' strings attached. Bad actions do have consequences as well as good. Love permits a person to do whatever they like good, bad, right, wrong, indifferent. Why, so we learn about consequences and responsibilities. Love demands this freedom to learn or it's not love at all.

True love has no strings. It will let the one loved live as they please. This type of love teaches us that responsibilities do have consequences. Love teaches us not to be envious or egotistical or arrogant or rude or sinning. God's Love allows learning even if, in the process of learning, one rejects the One that loves them enough to attempt to restore them back into love's fold. Love will let them go — Love is just.

What of justice if consequences do not exist? There comes a time when what we really love will be revealed. If we love God and accept the love He has for us, as the prodigal son did, we return to God and are restored to God's home. For Christians, this means accepting Jesus Christ — coming to God on God's terms — not our terms. Love will surrender fully to what one really loves.

God so loved the world, He surrendered Jesus Christ to humanity so that those that believe will likewise surrender to Him. A test of love you see. A test designed by God so you and I would know we can find the true God solely due to the uniqueness of the test.

Who do you love? By coming on God's terms His deep love will keep no record of when His love has been wronged by our deeds, but if anyone fails to accept His terms — what then? Love examines the heart and gives what each truly deserves.

No other religion is based on biblical theology of salvation's grace and faith alone. All depend on Human performance. Who do we love — our human efforts or God's way? If one reject's God's act of love — His love will grant them what they love most — sin and its consequences. Love is not love if it does not punish justly.

Yes, God loves all but do all love God? If one loved God, they would surrender to Him. Consequences share the results of past acts. Who do you love? Why would God accept a person who spurns His great redeeming love? A person who demonstrated all their life to depend own their own effort, which demands God to bow to them, does not truly love God. What then of them? Love requires an accounting.

How can God forgive and take no account of a person's wrong if the person continues to refuse and reject God's instructing love? There comes a time for an accounting because corruption cannot remain to corrupt forever. There comes a time when we all must grow up. Once there, there is no turning back. There is a reason for a new heaven and earth to come when it will. To refine gold requires heat to remove dross. God's love does the same.

God loves all humanity and permits all to do as they please because He loves all justly and fairly. Will you love God and really let Him do as He pleases with your life? Many like to quote I Corinthians Chapter 13 and site this as the measure of God's love that does not account us our wrongs but how do we account God wrong for permitting us to harm each other and allowing us to learn the terrible truths about human nature? Love speaks the truth in order to restore. Are you listening?

Instead, I Corinthians Chapter 13 tells us that Love suffers long and is not easily provoked but how does our love measure up to this? God will reject those that reject Him and His ways. He does so at an appointed time that cannot be denied. If one rejects God's love during this temporary and short life — what makes one think they will not continue to misuse God's love eternally for their own purposes if they were not confined? Love removes dross to make pure remain pure.

If eternal punishment was not forever, would one learn to view eternity as license to continue sin? Would punishment not be viewed as a temporary spanking and thus justify making life ugly again and again because consequences do not last?

Or, if God annihilated the wicked would that be just to whom He gave the gift of life too? If so, God would no longer be just, or fair, or righteous, or merciful, to the one whom He gave life's responsibilities too, even when they abuse God's longsuffering love and grace. He called to them, they refused. What is love to do? Jesus came and still many refuse.

Love grants life in which responsibility is learned by experience. God grants life even to the undeserving. That is His brand of love. A love so profound and deep we fail to comprehend its vast fairness, righteousness, and justice. Now, who do you love? Your own ways and means? The Devil's promises? Or God? Whom have you surrendered too?

If eternal punishment does not last — corruption will become replete over and over again unless confined. Confined in a place called Hell where a Loving God permits people to live in a place without God as they desire. God's Love is fair and kind enough to do this: giving people what they desire — a place without God — the author of life.

It is there, in Hell, recompense is granted. A horrifying place it is without God and His love. Where what was sown is reaped: a place where rejection is complete. Fear, loathing, and hate are the rule. Love abandoned resides. The darkness of ones personal life fully exposed. A place without God and his redeeming love.

Why? Reject God long enough, He will reject you. Love removes dross so pure remains pure in the new heavens and earth to come. Love examines the heart to see if any freely love God enough to return to Him with sweat surrender complete. Will You?
-
-
-
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Here is a post from my Blog concerning same topic:

Let me add too and clarify more regarding God's Love, Humanity's fall in the Garden of Eden, the doctrines of an eternal Heaven and Hell.

In the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve appear to be like children, lacking insight and wisdom. The Serpent lured this lack with enticements to be like God, calling ones own shots, and experiencing no consequences for giving into these. Hence, were Adam and Eve mere childlike victims or willing participants — knowing full well what they were both doing and seeking? I am not sure which was the case — maybe both hold certain amount of truth unseen.

How could God's Love justly, fairly, correctly, righteously, teach Adam and Eve the wisdom they lacked concerning Good and Evil? If the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil was not allowed to grow in the Garden — how could they learn true wisdom that relies on God verses wisdom that relies on human understanding and/or the Devils own enticing wisdom?

True God like Love would have to let His created beings, Adam and Eve, decide this issue on there own. God's Love would 'let go' waiting to see if Adam and Eve, and any of their future prodigy, truly love God and return to Him. An arena of learning was wisely needed where we can learn on our own what true wisdom is through experiencing both good and evil.

How can we discover that we can return to God, if God did not first initiate this by calling out to us to come back to Him midst our learning what Good and Evil is about here and now? Children need to learn wisdom. Likewise, we must learn true wisdom which comes from God and that is this — the fear (awesome love and respect) of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. The greatest commandment is to love God with all are being is it not?

How can we love God if He remains silent and never displays His great love towards us? He does so through Christ Jesus. God's love would provide a way back to Him: He calls. Who will hearken and return to God and who will not? God's love is truly fair and absolutely righteous.

Maybe humanity needs to learn, in the school of hard knocks, what God's love means and is all about? How can this be displayed without an opposite to compare with? Is it any wonder why the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil was left to grow in the garden? Experience can be the best teacher to instruct any person what type of life they want to live. Live with God or live another way without God. What is best?

God knows all our choices before we were ever born. He knows that without His call, His calling demonstration of Love through Christ, His love that calls forth the rain to fall on the just and unjust, none would return to Him unless He hearkens for our return. Therefore, He calls out to all with the voice of Love sublime that justly, fairly, correctly, righteously, teaches all Adam's and Eve's everywhere to freely return to Him.

He weeps when those refuse and holds them accountable because God's Nature demands it. If one does not return to God during his/her mortal sojourn, they will not do so in the eternal. They have bought the lie — “yea shall not surly die?” What did this produce in the Garden long ago? If not stopped justly, this ideology of no consequences would continue forever. The new heavens and earth would remain corrupt. Heat removes the dross from gold so gold can become pure.

Love demands righteous justice and will grant one what they desire — a place without God and without hope. Likewise God's great Love calls to those that hear to return.

Obey God, Trust Him, Fear Him, Love God because He is what He says He is: perfectly just, merciful, righteous, gracious, wise, all-knowing, all-powerful, seeing all, and desires all to come to the knowledge of the truth that they can be saved from a great tragedy: life without a God so fair as He. Truly, the beginning of wisdom is learning to awesomely love and respect God.

We need to learn who we will serve and why. This arena provides the avenue for this to be discovered. Let's return to God's great Love as He is calling us all back home.

Like the prodigal son, we needed to learn how Good God is by how bad life can be because without God, we corrupt life by our actions, thoughts, and deeds. Have not we learned how we do this yet in the here and now? Yes, God's Love changes us — one day at a time with each returning step back to the Father of Life.
-
-
-
Locker
Recognized Member

Post by Locker »

B. W. wrote: Let me add too and clarify more regarding God’s Love, Humanity’s fall in the Garden of Eden, the doctrines of an eternal Heaven and Hell.

In the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve appear to be like children, lacking insight and wisdom. The Serpent lured this lack with enticements to be like God, calling ones own shots, and experiencing no consequences for giving into these. Hence, were Adam and Eve mere childlike victims or willing participants – knowing full well what they were both doing and seeking? I am not sure which was the case – maybe both hold certain amount of truth unseen.

How could God’s Love justly, fairly, correctly, righteously, teach Adam and Eve the wisdom they lacked concerning Good and Evil? If the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil was not allowed to grow in the Garden – how could they learn true wisdom that relies on God verses wisdom that relies on human understanding and/or the Devils own enticing wisdom?-
Good points B. W.

Were Adam and Eve acting in a mere childlike manner that made them innocent victims or did they willfully act and thus sin?

IMHO - they acted willfully due to the serpents lie - "ye shall be like gods." This willfulness could be the original sin.

Yet, I can see them acting childlike concerning this matter and not understanding what disobedience is.

Yes. I agree that God's Love or Love would have to let them learn on their own the consequences of right and wrong.

For example:

The other day, my son went to school where the local neighborhood bully and his boys go. He threw a nice stone at this other kid and whacked him good in the forehead. The bully whelped and cried and peed in his pants. My son got in trouble form the school admin people.

I had to go there and take him home. Now, the school admin people want him to take a kiddy anger managment class! My son is a well behaved boy and made one mistake and now we have to fight the school admin people to convince they he is not a maniac.

I asked my son if he knew he did wrong and could have caused great harm to that old bully. He said he learned that now but at the time he was just tired of being picked on and gave in too toss a little stone.

From this, love let's our kids go to school on their own. What they do their is up to them. In school, what we teach our kids in the garden of our homes is tested. Love let's them find out, within reason, the consequence of what a wrong is.

What I mean by within reason is there are certian things kids need to be told what is wrong and right. Like touching a hot stove causes burns, etc...
Other things, they have to learn on their own. Maybe that is what God wanted and desired for us - to learn what good and evil is all about so when we grow-up and reach heaven - we will not choose the bad anymore.

If we do not learn - we go to another place because it is a person's own choice to go there. They reject God's loving guidance and God from weeping love would weep as he rejects them and passes a just and fair sentence.

I had to punish my son for throwing the rock and he learned his lesson never to do this again. I think the school admin people's Kiddy Anger Management class scares him more thoe. However, I am proud that he stood up to the bully but wish he would not have thrown the rock.

I gave me a good laugh after finding out all involved were okay. The bully did not even recieve a bruise from the stone - just wounded pride!

My son learned his lesson what right and wrong are from this and will not do this behavior agian. If he does not - the thought of anger management stigma is enough to scare anybody!

:lol:
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Locker wrote:
B. W. wrote: Let me add too and clarify more regarding God's Love, Humanity's fall in the Garden of Eden, the doctrines of an eternal Heaven and Hell.

In the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve appear to be like children, lacking insight and wisdom. The Serpent lured this lack with enticements to be like God, calling ones own shots, and experiencing no consequences for giving into these. Hence, were Adam and Eve mere childlike victims or willing participants — knowing full well what they were both doing and seeking? I am not sure which was the case — maybe both hold certain amount of truth unseen.

How could God's Love justly, fairly, correctly, righteously, teach Adam and Eve the wisdom they lacked concerning Good and Evil? If the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil was not allowed to grow in the Garden — how could they learn true wisdom that relies on God verses wisdom that relies on human understanding and/or the Devils own enticing wisdom?-
Good points B. W.

Were Adam and Eve acting in a mere childlike manner that made them innocent victims or did they willfully act and thus sin?

IMHO - they acted willfully due to the serpents lie - "ye shall be like gods." This willfulness could be the original sin.

Yet, I can see them acting childlike concerning this matter and not understanding what disobedience is.

Yes. I agree that God's Love or Love would have to let them learn on their own the consequences of right and wrong.
Cook and Locker and anyone else wishing to join in - I hope my answers help. I'll get back and respond as soon as I can - my plate is full at the moment. My father is hanging on despite it all. He goes in and out of a coma then comes back then slips again. Not sure how long this will last.

If I get testy with anyone - I am sorry. I do not mean to sound rude. I am looking at Cook's last post and want to respond to another point raised but it will need to wait.

Let's take or time and let anyone else join in - join!
-
-
-
Cook
Familiar Member

Post by Cook »

I'm still out here, I've had much less time for work reasons, but have enjoyed the thought-provoking posts. I've also read up on your blog comments, B.W.. Also, thanks for your latest post Locker.

I remember reading the other day about a study that said people were wrong 50% of the time in figuring out the emotions of people through their emails and text, no better than random chance, flipping a coin. Although 80% thought they'd correctly figured out the other person's mood (eg lighthearted, sarcastic, irked)! I've never thought any of your posts rude or testy, BW, and hope none of mine come off that way either, if so chalk it up to poor writing on my part. I know people have their different ways of looking at things and that's okay to me. Actually, is what makes it interesting to post, the possibility of uncovering ways of looking at things you hadn't considered before.

One aspect of your thinking that I don't think I've seen before (if I'm reading you correctly) is the concept that justice on behalf of those who *do* choose life requires that those who don't choose God be eternally confined in the "horrifying place." I wouldn't want people to have to suffer forever out of a sense of justice on my behalf.

I think one thing I see in your posts is the sense that justice in and of itself is the reason people would need to be eternally confined. And that though this confinement may be hard for people to rationalize and understand as "justice" from their limited human perspective, God's ways are infinite and over our heads, and we need to have faith that this is the way it is.

I've heard similar arguments before. The most striking was a radio sermon once where the preacher insisted God is perfect in all attributes, including hatred of sinners; he has "perfect wrath".

A stumbling block for me is that I see Jesus' high injunction to "be you perfect, even as the Father is perfect" as impossible to fulfil or even approach in any way shape or form with this mindset. I understand (and day by day try to carry out) ways to take babysteps in my personal attitudes to become more loving, more tolerant, and more forgiving toward other people, as Jesus taught.

I don't know any babysteps to become more perfectly wrathful, more perfectly angry. Again comes to my mind Jesus' teachings and life example of actively doing good and to love even your enemies! If you aren't to be wrathful to enemies than you aren't to be wrathful to anyone.

I see belief in eternal confinement (or hell) as personally unnecessary to being right with God and in ways even detrimental to honest choosing to do his will. It's not a real choice if someone says you should love them and do their will, but on the other hand says if you don't, kablooey, you get sent for all eternity to the Bad Place (where many say eternal torture awaits!).

You touch on annihilation and how you feel it's inadequate. I'll put out here that annihilationism (if that isn't a word, it should be :lol: ) is what makes most sense to me and is my belief for what happens when people ultimately reject God. That could be a point to get into further. I do completely agree with you that while God is love, and we are his children, not all his children accept his love and many choose darkness over light. I definitely don't think that people get an eternity of permissiveness to indulge in that.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Off-topic.

Just wanted to let you guys know that even though I'm not contributing to this thread, I am enjoying it rather immensely. I know everyone's busy and so am I (especially lately) but please keep it going whenever you can.

P.S. B.W., You couldn't be offensive even if you tried. Please keep us posted on your father's condition. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

God bless,

Byblos.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Byblos wrote:Off-topic.

Just wanted to let you guys know that even though I'm not contributing to this thread, I am enjoying it rather immensely. I know everyone's busy and so am I (especially lately) but please keep it going whenever you can.

P.S. B.W., You couldn't be offensive even if you tried. Please keep us posted on your father's condition. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

God bless,

Byblos.
Thank you!

I'll return to this thread soon as continue when things smooth out a little!

God bless!!