How do you feel about claiming a denomination or religion?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

That is my point, Christie, that there is much we should not be arguing about in a way that is destructive and hurtful to each other.

You may have misunderstood the point I have been trying to make. It is that there is something very important that binds us all to each other - that is, our belief in and love for Jesus. That makes us all brothers and sisters in Christ regardless of which Christian church we belong to. In truth, there is one church - the one body of Christ made up of all of us who believe. And the individual churches we attend are all a part of that one body.

Those things where we honestly differ do not need to drive us apart, if we love one another. It is hard to know everything because not all things are knowable in this life. Therefore we must make allowances for each other and look for the important things that we share in common.

It sounds as though you have been quite hurt by that insensitive and unkind remark made to you about Christian maturity.

You are right that Jesus said "Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." (Matthew 18:19,20)

And He also said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." (Matthew 19:14)

And...

Matthew 18:2 He called a little child and had him stand among them. 3 And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

There is a Proverb which I think is important not to let go unnoticed. It is this one:
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Christie, do not let yourself get upset where people are discussing theological points, or differing views on Christian issues, because it is by doing so that we learn from each other. It does not mean that people are out to hurt each other, but by debating something we each can learn far more and come closer to knowing the truth.
If people are not prepared to explore and debate their different points of view, then they are likely to hamper their growth in the knowledge and understanding of the faith. We learn from each other. That is what that Proverb means.
That is NOT the same as being unkind and hurtful towards each other.
IRQ Conflict
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Well said Judah. We do not suffer that harlot Jezabel, rather, as it is written,

Pro 11:14 Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counselors there is safety.

Pro 12:15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.

Pro 15:22 Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counselors they are established.

Pro 20:5 Counsel in the heart of man is like deep water; but a man of understanding will draw it out.

Isa 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

I myself blunder on occasion and enjoy reproof, It is like revelation!
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

I asked a question which has slipped back to the previous page and may go unnoticed now, so I would like to repeat my post here on this page. I hope co-one will mind, and also not get confused wondering if they have double vision or worse!

Here is the post again:

I think you were looking for this verse, Kateliz.
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. (John 14:26)
My understanding (and personal experience) is that the Holy Spirit within definitely does teach and remind.
However, a proper intelligent scholarly approach to the study of Scripture is important in order to eliminate misconceptions - and this is where "the Church" does provide through those who are educated in Hebrew and Greek, etc, and are spiritually alive.

It is important to understand that the "you" in John 14:26 is a plural "you" (as so often elsewhere the Greek NT).
So you (singular - should I say "thou"?) have to be very careful when using this verse to justify inward individual illumination. Of course the Holy Spirit is given to each person individually, as John 14:23 makes clear, but the Holy Spirit is also the gift to the church and gives life to it as the body of Christ.

What I am saying is that we are also dependent upon the greater knowledge of others, those who have studied the original languages, to know what is truth.

And with this is mind, I have a question to pose...

Jesus was speaking to His disciples together as a group, so the "you" (being plural) referred to all of them.
But was Jesus talking to each of them as individuals in the group setting, or was He talking to the group of individuals, or was it in both aspects together?
I think the distinction is an important one to make, and whether there is to be an emphasis more on one than another.

The Holy Spirit can be trusted to teach accurately. There could be a question as to whether or not someone, being imperfect, receives the message accurately. But would not the perfect Teacher have taught perfectly such that the message was accurately received?

Even so, I am always inclined towards checking my perceptions with other Christians more mature in the faith and more knowledgeable than I.
IRQ Conflict
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

The Holy Spirit can be trusted to teach accurately. There could be a question as to whether or not someone, being imperfect, receives the message accurately. But would not the perfect Teacher have taught perfectly such that the message was accurately received?
`

Sorry Judah, I missed this earlier.

Luk 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Yes, the Spirit leads us to the Truth, but without testing the spirits via the Word we are easily blinded. As with the word-faith thing that I stumbled over. I believed what the preacher said without dividing the Truth (my bad).

Remember, we wrestle not against flesh and blood. Pray to God ferverantly. Jesus told us how and what to pray didn't He? "Deliver us from evil"

I think it's up to us to seek His face, pray and read the Word "Study to show yourself approved" "be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh"

We should not just let the winds of the spirits blow us around, we need to be anchored in the Word.

Also, do not forget there are different soil types the seed of the Word will be planted into, Satan and his demons come to take the Word away from us as soon as it's planted.

Not to say God's Word comes back to Him void, but if the beleiver likes to have his ears tickled what can the Spirit do? We have a choice.

Hope this helps!
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain