Curse of Canaan

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
bluesman
Established Member
Christian: No

Curse of Canaan

Post by bluesman »

Genesis 9:20-27

Noah was the fool who got drunk. Then he curses his grandson Canaan, because Ham, father of Canaan, sees him pass-out naked.

Why curse Canaan or was it Noah predicting Canaan's future?

Ham, maybe should have covered his father Noah himself. However, as it reads I assume most people would see Noah as the guilty one, if not cruel and unrightous.

Mike
IRQ Conflict
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

I have not looked into this, but if you look at:

Gen 9:24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.

[speculation] Noah may have fallen asleep face down and or covered, when his son Ham came in and turned him over and or uncovered and saw his nakedness.[/speculation]

Just one of many scenarios I can think of. I'm sure someone, somewhere must have studied this though. Ham would have known this was a wrong thing to do and therfore was cursed by his father.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
bluesman
Established Member

A laugh at Dad with my brothers

Post by bluesman »

As it reads to me it seems that maybe Ham told his brothers to maybe have a laugh at good old Dad . When he should have kept the secret between himself and Noah.

I heard speculation that Ham had sex with Noah's wife, which would be his mother. I think thats plain hogwash.

I read somewhere that there might be a translation problem into english from the hebrew or greek. That Noah was not cursing, but making a prediction.

Mike
IRQ Conflict
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

To my knowledge, there is no translative errors in the King James. Although, many attempts at twisting the meanings of certain passages have been attempted over the years by individuals wanting it to say something that it simply does not.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
bluesman
Established Member

Translation error

Post by bluesman »

I just read on the net that from the hebrew its better translated as

Cursed is Cannan as compared to Cursed be Canaan

"It is also certain that Noah was speaking prophetically here. God would use this occasion to show the natural consequences of Canaan's sinful disposition. This statement should be seen as a prophetic utterance rather than a pronouncement of a curse upon Canaan's descendants. It's interesting to note that at least one commentator states that the original Hebrew is better translated "cursed is Canaan" instead of "cursed be Canaan." This would suggest a statement of current fact, rather than a future wish. The future wickedness of the Canaanites would tell us that Noah was right about Canaan's wickedness. "

http://www.christianlibrary.org/authors ... hcurse.htm

Given that Noah maybe seen that Canaan shared in the same sinful disposition as his father Ham .

On another note some peoples idea that Ham and Canaan was blackmen is complete trash.

Mike