Why get water Baptized?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
led
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Why get water Baptized?

Post by led »

Ok, I was looking at Acts 2 where it mentions baptism in verse 38 and I noticed that it said to be baptized for the remission of sin.

I was always told that water baptism is important but I just don't see why? The more I read verses that talk about being baptized the more I think it talks about being filled with the Holy Spirit/saved.

The question is.... why get water baptized? it seems pointless.

Any thoughts....
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Here are some Scriptures related to this

►Matthew 3:13-16

Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him. John would have prevented him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?" But Jesus answered him, "Let it be so now; for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he consented. And when Jesus was baptized, he went up immediately from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and alighting on him; and lo, a voice from heaven, saying, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased."

►Ephesians 4:4-5

There is one body, and one Spirit, even as you are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

►Romans 6:3-5

Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?

We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life. For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his.

►I Peter 3:21

This is a symbol of baptism, which now saves you also - not the removal of dirt from the body, but the answer of a good conscience toward God, it saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

►Colossians 2:12

and you were buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.

►John 3:1-5

Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, "Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that you do, unless God is with him." Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, unless one is born anew, he cannot see the kingdom of God." Nicodemus said to him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?" Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

►Acts 8:26-40

And the angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, saying, Get up, and go toward the south unto the way that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza, which is desert. And he got up and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem to worship, Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Isaiah the prophet. Then the Spirit said to Philip, Go near, and stay close to this chariot. And Philip ran up to him, and heard him reading the prophet Isaiah, and said, Do you understand what you are reading? And he said, How can I, except someone should guide me? And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. The place of the scripture which he read was this, “He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth: In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.” And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I ask you, of whom is the prophet speaking? of himself, or of some other man? Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached to him Jesus. And as they went on their way, they came to some water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what keeps me from being baptized? And Philip said, If you believe with all your heart, you may. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And he commanded the chariot to stop: and they both went down into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and Philip baptized him. And when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, and the eunuch saw him no more: but he went on his way rejoicing. But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea.

►Galatians 3:26-27

For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for as many of you as were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

►Mark 16:15-16

And he said unto them, Go into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved, and he that disbelieves shall be condemned.

►Titus 3:5

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewal of the Holy Spirit

►Matthew 28:19-20

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age.

► Acts 2:38-41

And Peter said to them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children and to all that are far off, every one whom the Lord our God calls to him." And he testified with many other words and exhorted them, saying, "Save yourselves from this crooked generation." So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls

►Acts 22:16

And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on his name.
led
Recognized Member

Post by led »

So your thinking the same as I am? That it's not water baptism, but baptism in the Spirit that counts?

...and to think how so many people get water baptized thinking that it will do something.

blame it on the people that teach it! I'd hate to be in their shoes come Judgement Day.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

led wrote:So your thinking the same as I am? That it's not water baptism, but baptism in the Spirit that counts?

...and to think how so many people get water baptized thinking that it will do something.

blame it on the people that teach it! I'd hate to be in their shoes come Judgement Day.
Well not necessarily. The act of being Water baptised does not Save you because on Christ can. However if you read in Acts, among others the Act of being Water Baptised was a Testament of being Saved. It was like a regeneration. I was reading up on it and found some interesting thoughts. To be saved was a restoration of your Spirit. To be water Baptised is a restoration of your Soul. For me it is a Testament to the Devil to say this Body, and Mind is for Jesus.

Just my Two Cents
FFC
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

So your thinking the same as I am? That it's not water baptism, but baptism in the Spirit that counts?

Led, you have a great question. From what I have read there are three main types of baptisms.

The baptism of repentance (more of an OT thing regarding God's call to his people to get their act right…Jesus only did this to fulfill the law…not because He needed to repent),

the baptism of the Spirit (which as far as I can see coincides with salvation today)

These verses kind of covers the first two:

Act 13:24 When John had first preached before his coming the baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel.

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and [with] fire:

Water baptism, far from being unnecessary or meaningless is a great demonstration of what Christ did for us. It's an outward confession of our faith regarding an inward change. It's also a cool picture of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ.

I like this verse for this idea:

Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with [him] through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

One thing I know for sure. It doesn't save or sanctify anyone...but I do think one is blessed when they in obedience do it.

Just some thoughts.

Note: there is another baptism mentioned about being baptized in Jesus' name. This I'm not real sure about.
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

bzzt, what version are you using? It cut this out:

Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
led
Recognized Member

Post by led »

IRQ Conflict wrote:Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
I believe Jesus was talking about being born in the flesh and in the spirit.

To verify, The context is that Jesus was talking about being born again. (look at John 3:3) Once in the flesh, as we all have been and again in the spirit.

Another verse to look at is 1 John 5:6-8 where water refers to the flesh.

FFC:
Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with [him] through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

I thought that this was talking about being baptized in the Spirit since it says that through faith we die and are raised with Christ.

Thx guys, I'm really trying to figure this out. I don't want to think that water baptism is still for today if it was just an OT act. Catholics have so many useless rituals that complicate salvation for those that are lost. I don't want to add to scripture like they have done.....but that's another thread :lol:
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

led, just a thought for you . . .

Just because something doesn't have a direct impact on one's salvation or rewards doesn't mean there is no reason to do it. Consider the Lord's Supper. Needless to say, we don't do it to be saved (contrary to RCC belief). And I have serious doubt that if we don't practice it we'll get in trouble at our own judgment. So, why practice it? Because Jesus said so. Because it reminds us of who we are and what we live for.

Baptism is a reminder. It's a public testimony. The water represents death, so it is a picture of salvation. We are buried with Christ in death and raised to walk in the newness of life. Human beings seem to have this need to mark special events with some sort of ceremony. This is our salvation ceremony, not the the ceremony itself is important. What it marks is important. But, the sheer fact of the importance of the thing it marks makes this ceremony very sacred and thus important in its own right.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
led
Recognized Member

Post by led »

Jac3510 said:
Human beings seem to have this need to mark special events with some sort of ceremony.

I guess I'm strange because I really don't care to mark my salvation with an event.
Jac3510 wrote:why practice it? Because Jesus said so.
Could you show me where Jesus mentions water baptism? The only place that I know of is when He says in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. but it doesn't mention water baptism. And the Holy Spirit comes through faith not by our works.

Can anyone find scripture where Jesus mentions water baptism for today?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

led wrote:Jac3510 said:
Human beings seem to have this need to mark special events with some sort of ceremony.

I guess I'm strange because I really don't care to mark my salvation with an event.
Jac3510 wrote:why practice it? Because Jesus said so.
Could you show me where Jesus mentions water baptism? The only place that I know of is when He says in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. but it doesn't mention water baptism. And the Holy Spirit comes through faith not by our works.

Can anyone find scripture where Jesus mentions water baptism for today?
Jesus did more than mention water baptism. He was baptized. Granted the statement of His baptism was not regenerative or symbolic of any need on his part to represent an internal change. It was rather declarative in the sense that it formally opened His ministry and provided an opportunity for God to publically endorse him through John the Baptist and the Trinity manifestation of Father speaking, Son receiving and Spirit descending.

I don't believe that Baptism is necessary to salvation or to be a Christian. As others have stated the issue is one of attitude. I don't live my Christian life and define it by the minimum I can do or be to be a Christian. For me, baptism was a sacrament, on par with communion, that is commanded as an outward sign of an inward truth already accomplished. So for me, baptism was an act of obedience. I participated gladly and enthusiatically and it honestly never occured to me to measure my Christianity by the minimum required. Christianity encompasses all of my life and so this was just a no brainer for me.

It's up to the individual to decide it's importance to them, but I don't think you can write it off due to its being addressed in several passages already mentioned and most importantly, modeled by Christ as required for His mission and obedience to every element of righteousness.

Baptism does encompass far more than just water baptism. I'm not even particularly concerned about mode as a critical issue.
led
Recognized Member

Post by led »

Canuckster1127 wrote:For me, baptism was a sacrament, on par with communion, that is commanded as an outward sign of an inward truth already accomplished.
Again no scripture.

Communion had a purpose, that is for rememberance. Water baptism...? I don't know about anyone else but my outward sign of an inward truth already accomplished is the Holy Spirit working daily through me.

Water baptism wasn't commanded by Jesus and it's a useless ritual act that's embarrassing. When a non-Christian sees this, it turns them away from Christ. They don't understand it because it seems foolish and is foolish.

Don't be decieved be the craftiness of the devil from the simplicity in Christ. 2 Corinthians 11:3 That's why this is an issue for me, and I feel should be for all.

Please, does anyone have scripture. If you can show me that I'm wrong then I will gladly change and humbly accept it, but only through scripture.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

led wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:For me, baptism was a sacrament, on par with communion, that is commanded as an outward sign of an inward truth already accomplished.
Again no scripture.

Communion had a purpose, that is for rememberance. Water baptism...? I don't know about anyone else but my outward sign of an inward truth already accomplished is the Holy Spirit working daily through me.

Water baptism wasn't commanded by Jesus and it's a useless ritual act that's embarrassing. When a non-Christian sees this, it turns them away from Christ. They don't understand it because it seems foolish and is foolish.

Don't be decieved be the craftiness of the devil from the simplicity in Christ. 2 Corinthians 11:3 That's why this is an issue for me, and I feel should be for all.

Please, does anyone have scripture. If you can show me that I'm wrong then I will gladly change and humbly accept it, but only through scripture.
Fair Enough. I did make a pretty clear reference to Jesus' Baptism which you may find at Matt 3: 13-16. GThere clearly is a qualitative difference to Jesus' Baptism as he was not needing to reprent and there is a clear inference that this represented an endorsement of His Public Ministry.

Yet it also states that:

Matthew 3:13-16 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)

Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
NIV at IBS International Bible Society NIV at Zondervan Zondervan

The Baptism of Jesus

13Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14But John tried to deter him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?"

15Jesus replied, "Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." Then John consented.

16As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him.

What righteousness was Jesus refering to, if not the modelling of what was needful and beneficial for us?

John's Baptism was representative of Repentence. To be sure there was a differentiation made between the baptism that would come from Christ verses that of John the Baptist. John the Baptist's baptism was a baptism representative of repentence and turning from sin. It was not a new Baptism per se. Baptism was common in that time in the Jewish cuture and used to introduce Gentile converts into Judaism.

Scripture that outlines this differentiation.

While there are different elements and views of Baptism, the strongest question to ask, is why Jesus used the mode of water baptism and defended it in his case when questioned directly by John, that it was to model righteousness. If Jesus came to eliminate it, He should not have submitted to it.

Matt 3:11 - 3:17 “He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.”
Mark 1:9 - 1:11 The Spirit descending on him like a dove
Luke 3:21 - 3:22 All persons of the Trinity present at the baptism
John 1:29 - 1:34 The reason for John's baptism
John 3:22 - 3:26 John still baptizing after baptism of Jesus

I can further if you need, but that is up to you. If you don't want to believe this or pracrtise it, that is up to you. I don't believe it is necessary to salvation as I said before but rather an outward act of obedience and declaration of what has taken place inwardly.

As I stated before, I don't measure my Christianity by the minimum needed. Christianity is really an all or nothing proposal. You're either committed to it and to Christ or you are not. God is the judge of that in the end, not me or any other man.

I don't feel an overwhelming need to argue and try to convince anyone of anything other than the true core of the faith and beliefs and if someone is not ready or not willing, or honestly sees something different and has examined the Scriptures, examined their heart, prayed and determined what is right for them, then I am fine with that.

Where that action departs from the historical understanding and practise of the Church, I think there's cause to be concerned and challenge one another. Let me know if you accept this beginning as sufficient to procede. If not, then there's really no point in butting heads, as your mind is already pretty much made up and that is your perogative.
Locker
Recognized Member

Post by Locker »

Well, if everyone is dirty - then all need a bath!

If you think you do not need a bath - all you get is wet.

Well, the thief on the cross next to Jesus was not baptised and he was the first convert to christianity.

You do not need to be baptised to become born again but you do need a bath!

I was baptised four times - more from confusion on this doctrine than anything else (First in a Baptist church, next in the Church of Christ, then a Charimatic Church, then a Reformed church method but in a river). The First time I felt clean, the other times, I just got wet.

Some may call me all washed out! :lol: :lol: :lol:

He heh ehe yahooey! 8)
FFC

Post by FFC »

Led, I think this might be your verse. He did send his disciples out into the world to teach and baptize...if it wasn't water baptism what could it be? It couldn't be referring to spirit baptism because that is God's job.

Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.

It does seem to tie back to Jesus' baptism...sort of a public initiation thing.

You've got me thinking. Thank you.
led
Recognized Member

Post by led »

Wow... thx guys, this has really helped me dig in the Word concerning this.

I don't live my Christian life and define it by the minimum, on the contrary, I live to the fullest through the simplicity that's in Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Some things I noticed:
The OT was full of works including water baptisms. With the Holy Spirit living in our lives, He is our testimony, our demonstration, our confession, our remeberance, our everything.

I think it's good to notice that these water baptisms happened before the Holy Spirit was poured out on all flesh, which was in Acts 13:46 and after there is no mention of water baptisms.

Acts 11:16 John baptized with water, BUT you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.

This says that baptism by water was through John, but now that we have the Holy Spirit, we are baptized with the Holy Spirit. To me this clearly changes from one way of baptizing to another. So water baptisms, which hava no power, were to stop and now we have the baptism of Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit.

I'm trying to not be opinionated, but as far as scripture goes, water baptisms still seems to be useless when you have the Holy Spirit.
"To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.” //klinkenberg.tripod.com/lifeinkorea