Evil sign?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
miller
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

Post by miller »

Kateliz:
The question for me would be whether it's dishonouring our bodies as temples of God.
Is it sexually immoral? Of course not, so it is not dishonoring our bodies. In fact all other sins are commited outside of our bodies,
1 Corinthians 6:, "12"Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything. 13"Food for the stomach and the stomach for food"—but God will destroy them both. The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. 15Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never! 16Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, "The two will become one flesh." 17But he who unites himself with the Lord is one with him in spirit.
18Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. 19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

The author/s of the link you posted shortcake is/are wrong. They say they can shave their beards because it was only in relation to a pagan practive but a couple verses later tattoos ought to still be forbidden. That's B.S.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I'm inclined to agree with the argument that tattoos for the Christian fall under the personal conscience provision described in Corinthians.

I personally choose not to.

I think there is good reason to be cautious as to the direct message or symbol applied that it not directly violate the standards of communication that are consistent with Christian Testimony.

Beyond that, it's up to the individual.

I did think about putting a little teddy bear on my tookus when I was younger. Probably a ggod thing that I didn't or Teddy may have transformed into a full-grown Kodiak bear today!

:oops: :D :shock: :mrgreen:
Shortcake
Acquainted Member

Post by Shortcake »

miller wrote:The author/s of the link you posted shortcake is/are wrong. They say they can shave their beards because it was only in relation to a pagan practive but a couple verses later tattoos ought to still be forbidden. That's B.S.
Hi miller, Thank you for reading the link. I am not defending their take on this issue, nor do I defend the 'Under the Law' take on it. I just think it's good for someone who is undecided to look at all sides.

I reread the link I gave, but it's not (to my understanding) talking of shaving ones beard, but rather the shape it was intentionally cut into. I don't know squat about the rituals done for these false deities so I can't honestly comment on that, but that's what I read it to mean. When I read the scripture it seems to line up with that?

Lev 19:27 Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.

I looked up the word used for 'beard' and it's zâqân and apparently it also means chin, so considering it speaks of marring, this may be some kind of disfiguring?
Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high Heb 1:3
miller
Acquainted Member

Post by miller »

Hi miller, Thank you for reading the link. I am not defending their take on this issue, nor do I defend the 'Under the Law' take on it. I just think it's good for someone who is undecided to look at all sides.
I understand and I agree someone ought to look into both sides. I'm 22 and have had tattoos for years my arms are almost covered, and prior to that I'd done my research on the scriptures.

My point about the beards is that if shaving or marring their beards a certain way was against pagan practices and is not applicable today why would a verse in a list about tattoos not count as a pagan practice that's not applicable today, or how about this one
Leviticus 19:, "19 'Keep my decrees.
" 'Do not mate different kinds of animals.
" 'Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed.
" 'Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material. "

I say that for whatever reason they get around this verse is the same reason I can have tattoos. This isn't for oyu so much Shortcake but for others who might have read and been convinced by the article.
Shortcake
Acquainted Member

Post by Shortcake »

miller wrote:I understand and I agree someone ought to look into both sides. I'm 22 and have had tattoos for years my arms are almost covered, and prior to that I'd done my research on the scriptures.
YES!!! EXACTLY!!! That's what I mean :D
You did the study before you decided. Our decisions must be made with a clear unpricked conscience between ourselves and God, who sometimes will require different things for different people. So, it's like I said, I don't want to convince or unconvince anyone, this is between them & God. Had there been a 3rd view (I don't know of one) I would have offered it also only because I believe we have the right to chose. Everyone has offered why they have or have not chosen to have a tattoo, some didn't because their conscience was pricked & I honor them for their decision, but I will also honor someone who has done the research & did so with a clear conscience, because they both (in my opinion) did it the right way.

Canuckster wrote:I did think about putting a little teddy bear on my tookus when I was younger. Probably a ggod thing that I didn't or Teddy may have transformed into a full-grown Kodiak bear today!
~ :lol: Loved that!!!:wink:
Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high Heb 1:3
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

"Do you not buy clothes until your old clothes are unwearable or do you buy a nice skirt because it's pretty?"

:lol: Actually, I'm running out of clothes! It takes me years to buy new stuff. I do rotate out the stuff I get sick of within that time, and before they're thoroughly "worn-out", but for the most part it's the same for several years. :lol: I actually had to unretire two t-shirts from pajamma world this week for the warmer weather. It's time for another shopping trip! :D

And I always wear jeans. :)
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

I got two tickets to pajamma world, anyone interested?
Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (31.51 KiB) Viewed 3163 times
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

I can't go, sorry. I only have two shirts to wear, and both of them recently retired from Pajamma World and refuse to go back. My apologies- you'll have to find someone else to go with you.
Grace isn't enough...
Familiar Member

Post by Grace isn't enough... »

I disagree with the God not intending we wear clothes. Adam and Eve were naked BEFORE they sinned.
I think what Canuckster1127 said about tatoos holds true because it is like any other decision we cannot likely take back. it would be like going into anything without considering the consequences, or rather, understanding them. Furthermore i think it projects a image of "hey christians can be hardcore too," an attitude that runs through so many yougth groups today. - This whole hyped up christianity that is used to pack the churches instead of Preach the truth, no matter how few show up on sundays.

Perhaps tatoos are not inherently evil, but one must consider the association with such things. A cross tattoo, no matter how gaudy, or hardcore, is till a tattoo, which means you risk killing your witness.
I found that by being an annoying person you're less annoyed by people.
Blacknad
Recognized Member

Post by Blacknad »

Having read the link.

I have a problem with anything that starts calling into question the salvation of anyone doing something that the writers disagree with.
Leviticus 19:28 is the Christian (or so-called Christian?) tattooist and tattoo-bearer's worst nightmare.
As usual Christians think they have to legislate on all aspects of human behaviour and get caught up dealing with things that are in all likelihood irrelevant, when there are real issues for us to worry about.

Blacknad.
miller
Acquainted Member

Post by miller »

A cross tattoo, no matter how gaudy, or hardcore, is till a tattoo, which means you risk killing your witness.
Is this a joke? I really don't understand this way of thinking. Are you saying that when I'm sharing the Good News to a non-Christian he or she might not become a Christian because I have a tattoo?