1 Timothy 3:16

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member
Christian: No

1 Timothy 3:16

Post by SUGAAAAA »

"And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."

There has been some debate as wether or not this passage really refers to God being manifest in the flesh... So what do all of you think of 1 Timothy 3:16? The reason I'm bringing this up here is because one of our members here deny what this passage is saying. In fact, if I remember correctly, this person has claimed that the word for God here isnt used in the earliest manuscripts, but was added in at a later time (probably in the 2nd century).

So is this passage reliable?
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
led
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by led »

The trinity are one... Jesus, the Father and the Holy Spirit.

So ya, God Himself was manifest in the flesh.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Actually, it's a Majority (received) Text vs. Alexandrian Text question.

Majority Text:
θεος εφανερωθη εν σαρκι

Alexandrian Text:
ος εφανερωθη εν σαρκι

Notice the majority says "theos ephanerothe en sarki" ("God was manifested in the flesh." The Alexandrian, though, doesn't use "theos" (God), it uses "hos" (He), thus, "hos ephanerothe en sarki" ("He was manifested in the flesh.")

Most modern translations--NASB, NIV, ESV, etc,--go with the Alexandrian texts, whereas the KJV and NKJV go by the Majority Text. It's a serious debate right now which better represents the original. You can find arguments on both sides.

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

Church Fathers from the first three Centuries used "theos". That pretty much settles it. (Besides, a man being made manifest in the flesh is hardly a mystery).

See http://www.lamblion.net/EBooks/false_citations.pdf
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

I have also heard that ος with a line over the top of the word was an equivalent for θεος. And that some scribes may have inadvertently left the Line off or even over a period of time the line may have faded.

Does this sound familiar to any of you Greek scholars out there?