Genesis 29

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Genesis 29

Post by Byblos »

I've recently started reading the OT again and when I got to Genesis 29 I had this strange feeling that it's a parallel to Jesus' resurrection. Is this a prophesy or am I reading too much into it?

Look first at this:
Genesis 29:3 wrote:When all the flocks were gathered there, the shepherds would roll the stone away from the well's mouth and water the sheep.

Then this:
Genesis 29:7-8 wrote:7 "Look," he (Jacob) said, "the sun is still high; it is not time for the flocks to be gathered. Water the sheep and take them back to pasture." 8 "We can't," they (the shepherds) replied, "until all the flocks are gathered and the stone has been rolled away from the mouth of the well. Then we will water the sheep."

Notice how they couldn't water the sheep until all the flocks have been gathered (the right time) and the stone is rolled away (Jesus' death and his resurrection), then they can water the sheep (conversion).

Does this not point to Jesus' resurrection and humanity's salvation through him?

What do you guys think?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Genesis 29

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Byblos wrote:I've recently started reading the OT again and when I got to Genesis 29 I had this strange feeling that it's a parallel to Jesus' resurrection. Is this a prophesy or am I reading too much into it?

Look first at this:
Genesis 29:3 wrote:When all the flocks were gathered there, the shepherds would roll the stone away from the well's mouth and water the sheep.

Then this:
Genesis 29:7-8 wrote:7 "Look," he (Jacob) said, "the sun is still high; it is not time for the flocks to be gathered. Water the sheep and take them back to pasture." 8 "We can't," they (the shepherds) replied, "until all the flocks are gathered and the stone has been rolled away from the mouth of the well. Then we will water the sheep."

Notice how they couldn't water the sheep until all the flocks have been gathered (the right time) and the stone is rolled away (Jesus' death and his resurrection), then they can water the sheep (conversion).

Does this not point to Jesus' resurrection and humanity's salvation through him?

What do you guys think?
I think you're reading too much into the passage. It's not a prophecy. It is historical narrative.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
Byblos wrote:I've recently started reading the OT again and when I got to Genesis 29 I had this strange feeling that it's a parallel to Jesus' resurrection. Is this a prophesy or am I reading too much into it?

Look first at this:

Then this:

What do you guys think?
I think you're reading too much into the passage. It's not a prophecy. It is historical narrative.
Yeah, I guess you're right. Sometimes I just get carried away in the moment. Thanks.
bluesman
Established Member
Christian: No

prophesy

Post by bluesman »

Maybe not prophesy, but there is a connection. What happened in the NT relates back to the OT. That sheep, lamb, shepherd theme runs common through the NT. I will have to read through that part of Gensis again tonight
just for the interest of that.

Michael
Bluesman
Locker
Recognized Member

Post by Locker »

Look first at this:

Then this:

What do you guys think?
This is good allegory and would make a wonderful sermon for a preacher!

All through the bible it tells of Christ in many different means and ways. This could be one of them - a picture of the Messiah whom, through Jacobs seed, all the nations will be blessed!
Canuckster1127
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Locker wrote:

Look first at this:

Then this:

What do you guys think?

All through the bible it tells of Christ in many different means and ways. This could be one of them - a picture of the Messiah whom, through Jacobs seed, all the nations will be blessed!
We need to be careful that we do not leap from a story that we can use to illustrate or something we see with parallels to claiming that the passage itself teaches something.

That is the difference between exogesis (taking something out of the text) and eisogesis (reading something foreign into the text, that isn't there in the first place.)

I think the passage in question certainly opens some parallels and it's nice to think about.

I don't think it is the purpose of the passage to draw parallels.

If we're not careful in this realm, it opens the doors to all kinds of heresies and false teachings.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Locker
Recognized Member

Post by Locker »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
Locker wrote:

Look first at this:

Then this:

What do you guys think?

We need to be careful that we do not leap from a story that we can use to illustrate or something we see with parallels to claiming that the passage itself teaches something.

That is the difference between exogesis (taking something out of the text) and eisogesis (reading something foreign into the text, that isn't there in the first place.)

I think the passage in question certainly opens some parallels and it's nice to think about.

I don't think it is the purpose of the passage to draw parallels.

If we're not careful in this realm, it opens the doors to all kinds of heresies and false teachings.
Well said Canuckster1127 and I agree! Thanks for posting this! Amen!