Smoking

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: drugs

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I don't have time to do the exegesis independently, but I have in the past.

With regard to Jesus drinking wine or "new" wine, it clearly is alcoholic wine.

The greek words give indication of it. Further, the context in several instances makes it clear. Particularly, the miracle at the Wedding at Canae. Why do you think the master of ceremonies noted the "best" wine coming last, in contradiction to the custom of serving the best first?

Further, it was a constant criticsm of Christ by the Pharisees that he was a partier, spending his time with people who drank and ate freely.

Attempting to paint Christ as abstaining from alcohol in this fashion is clearly contrary to the language, and the context of many passages. Plus, there are no general prohibitions of alchohol in the scripture. There are commands against drunkeness and individual prohibitions for specific purposes and reasons.

Now, there are reasonable arguments that wine usage in those days was different than today. Wine was usually mixed with water. There was little sanitation and it this was a means by the alcohol of controlling parasites and illness, (although they would not have understood it like we do now.)

Those are all valid observations. In our society and culture alchoholism is rampant and there is no 'need' for some of the reasons there were then and what we have is far more potent etc.

All valid and there is no command to drink wine or alcohol and certainly wisdom in abstaining. That is a matter of choice however, and where the Scripture leaves it as such, we have no right and no authority to attempt to torture and twist the text to say something it clearly does not.

Obviously, drunkenness is directly forbidden and excess and use of alchohol in this manner is wrong.

Gluttony is wrong too. We don't advocate stopping eating to avoid falling into that sin. (At least those of us who are not supermodels .....)

With regards to smoking, there is no direct scripture reference. I see it as a matter of choice as well, but I will qualify that based on what we know about it now, that there is no redeeming quality that would argue for it. Nicotene is recognized as one of the most addictive substances in this world. Many who smoke use that nicotene to medicate themselves against stress, depression and other instances. The social cost of it in terms of health care and loss of length and quality of life is staggering. I can't imagine a cogent argument in favor of it. But, Scripture is silent directly, it is not illegal and therefore, I will not seek to raise a standard for others, where scripture does no directly although I think a strong argument could be made based on some obvious passages and principals.

Drugs etc, obviously, illegal drugs fall under the command for us to obey the laws of government where to do so does not compromise our obedience to God.

Consider this however, drunkenness would apply as a standard when the use of drugs creates a euphoric mind altering or reality suppressing experience. Further, the use of such substances in the Old Testament was associated with idol worship and ceremonies.

The greek word often translated in the Bible for Witchcraft is the same word that we get our english derivative "Pharmacy." The use of drugs to alter reality was seen as having a spiritual element, particularly opening oneself to influence outside of standard reality.

Does that sound like harmless recreation?

My thoughts, for what they are worth.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Smoking

Post by Silvertusk »

FFC wrote:Is smoking a sin? Let me clarify...is smoking cigarettes a sin?
No.

Being a slave to an addiction is a sin - because you are serving another master. Same with alcohol - same with eating.

IMHO of course.
Locker
Recognized Member

Re: Smoking

Post by Locker »

Silvertusk wrote:
FFC wrote:Is smoking a sin? Let me clarify...is smoking cigarettes a sin?
No.

Being a slave to an addiction is a sin - because you are serving another master. Same with alcohol - same with eating.

IMHO of course.
Yes, by smoking and drinking you may discover the afterlife quicker and find out whom you have served!

The chemical componets of tobacco make it addictive - so live longer and not smoke. As for it being a sin - I do not know. I used to smoke years ago and quit. Funny, quitting for me became easy after becoming a Christian than all the times I tried to quit before as a heathen.

Ironic, isn't it? Any former smokers out there discover this to be true with them too?
bluesman
Established Member
Christian: No

Two years ago

Post by bluesman »

Two years ago I asked God to help me stop smoking.
Well I wasn't really making an effort to stop so I guess God step in and
took over.

I ended up in the hospital for 5 day with double pneumonia.
I wasn't able to smoke when I was sick and I was not allowed to smoke
in the hospital.
Afterwards I didn't smoke because I already spent a week of forced non-smoking and
Smoking after the damage to the lungs of pneumonia would have been
stupid.

So Its been 2 years this Month that I stopped smoking (with Gods help).

Michael
Bluesman
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Two years ago

Post by Silvertusk »

bluesman wrote:Two years ago I asked God to help me stop smoking.
Well I wasn't really making an effort to stop so I guess God step in and
took over.

I ended up in the hospital for 5 day with double pneumonia.
I wasn't able to smoke when I was sick and I was not allowed to smoke
in the hospital.
Afterwards I didn't smoke because I already spent a week of forced non-smoking and
Smoking after the damage to the lungs of pneumonia would have been
stupid.

So Its been 2 years this Month that I stopped smoking (with Gods help).

Michael
Bluesman
Well done Bluesman. It has been nearly 3 years for me - and that was for health reasons as well. Best decision I ever made.